Spinning Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spinning Reels

Post by Pegasus » Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Any suggestions on a good spinning reel up to 200.00 dollars

Regards

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spinning Reels

Post by Brad in Texas » Mon May 01, 2017 11:22 pm

I have two Shimano Stradic Ci4+ spinning reels. The last one I bought was on sale for $139 as I recall, an ultra-light 1000 series. Most retail for just over $200 now but they'll likely outlast many other brands since they are water-tight. My other one was my first and it is the 2500 series. It has been flawless for several years. I just put a drop of oil in it a time or two a year.

I really like the lightness of them, the tough drag,the design elements related to their proprietary gears. More than a few people on TW have commented after buying some of the really expensive, even higher end spinning reels, that in retrospect they wished they'd just bought a Stradic Ci4+ . . . or several of them for the same price.

I need another reel, too, and I think I'll just go back for another, maybe a 3000 or 4000 series this time.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you buy and then how it works on the water for you.

Brad

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue May 02, 2017 12:25 am

After years of owning numerous stradics which I have a love/hate relationship with I have ventured out and purchased a Daiwa Ballistic which is on sale at cabelas for $119.
Not that the stradics are bad but i have sent 3 back in the last 3 years for repair and they have just sent a brand new replacement. Have only used the ballistic once so far but it feels very nice. Time will tell.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Tue May 02, 2017 1:51 am

I have come to like the Penn Clash,anf Pfleuger patriarch ,I mat try the daiwa ballistic from cabel's if its still on sale.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue May 02, 2017 2:59 am

My son has a Daiwa advantage 2500 had it for 6 years I think never done a thing to it, other than rub a little oil
on the cylinder that goes up and down when you crank, I don't know the name of the part.
its still smooth as butter.
They don't make this reel anymore would like something like it.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Tue May 02, 2017 3:18 am

New Daiwa BG! Beautiful, built like a tank, butter smooth drag and lots of nice features for $100

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:11 pm

Shimano Stradic is a good option; if you prefer something a bit lighter and cheaper, a pflueger supreme xt. 119 bucks for a magnesium framed spinning reel with carbon fiber handle on Amazon, pretty good deal. My only gripe with the pflueger is that the bail is hard to close by hand in one certain spot.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu May 04, 2017 9:59 am

If you can find an older Daiwa Certate in good condition, they are fantastic.