Concept reels the same as Okumas...or similar?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Concept reels the same as Okumas...or similar?

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue May 02, 2017 7:49 pm

How close are they?

I've had a few people ask me about a concept a3 when comparing the other large low profile reels.
Tranx 300, 400, 500
Abu revo toro beast
Daiwa lexa 300 400 hd non hd

Went to concepts website and I was greated to a snapshot of the reel without it's reel handle side plate on.

Low and behold it's identical to the Okuma Komodo ss364 i had apart on my bench (minus the stainless main gear)

The A3 looks like a Citrix minus the clicker and non disengaging level wind (assuming the a3 isn't a non disengaging levelwind.)
With the helios braking

I've seen posts about how the concepts are great and okumas junk by the same people saying they've owned both.

Are all concepts just okumas with different paint jobs, sideplates and levelwind guides?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Concept reels the same as Okumas...or similar?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed May 03, 2017 6:10 am

All them OEM reels are pretty much the same junk.
<")))><{

bassbassontherange
Angler
Angler

Post by bassbassontherange » Wed May 03, 2017 2:40 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:All them OEM reels are pretty much the same junk.
As an avid user of primarily high end Shimano and daiwa, I can tell you this is a crap, baseless statement. I've got a few Lew's, a concept E, a Helios air, an mgx.... I try them all out from time to time. The higher end OEM reels are pretty nice in most cases. I especially like the tourny pro's for value and mgx's as a light plastics option. I won't tell you I prefer them to their Shimano or Daiwa counterparts, but it's interesting to switch it up sometimes. The Lew's I've owned have been durable and really good performers for cranking and spinnerbaits.

I don't think the okumas I've had are exactly like the 13's, but quality wise I'd call them similar. Brakes and frames are quite different between those brands. Both pretty smooth. I'd recommend a used Calcutta or Curado 300e for your application, though (assuming heavier stuff... Swimbaits?). Simple, dependable, serviced easily if need be. A bb2 would be another I've had good personal experience with.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed May 03, 2017 10:05 pm

bassbassontherange wrote:
As an avid user of primarily high end Shimano and daiwa, I can tell you this is a crap, baseless statement. I've got a few Lew's, a concept E, a Helios air, an mgx.... I try them all out from time to time. The higher end OEM reels are pretty nice in most cases. I especially like the tourny pro's for value and mgx's as a light plastics option. I won't tell you I prefer them to their Shimano or Daiwa counterparts, but it's interesting to switch it up sometimes. The Lew's I've owned have been durable and really good performers for cranking and spinnerbaits.

I don't think the okumas I've had are exactly like the 13's, but quality wise I'd call them similar. Brakes and frames are quite different between those brands. Both pretty smooth. I'd recommend a used Calcutta or Curado 300e for your application, though (assuming heavier stuff... Swimbaits?). Simple, dependable, serviced easily if need be. A bb2 would be another I've had good personal experience with.

You dont do much work on reels do you? I tune and service reels, they are all the same "junk". They add cheap pretty things to make you want them, but in reality they are all worth about $50.
<")))><{

nolaDuke
Angler
Angler

Post by nolaDuke » Wed May 03, 2017 10:54 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:

You dont do much work on reels do you? I tune and service reels, they are all the same "junk". They add cheap pretty things to make you want them, but in reality they are all worth about $50.
unfortunately, I think it's true... Abu however don't make OEMs....

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed May 03, 2017 11:07 pm

nolaDuke wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:

Abu is made by OEM companies. Their low profile reels are no longer made by "them", they are outsourced. I think only the high end round reels are made by Abu.
<")))><{

nolaDuke
Angler
Angler

Post by nolaDuke » Wed May 03, 2017 11:08 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
nolaDuke wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:

Abu is made by OEM companies. Their low profile reels are no longer made by "them", they are outsourced. I think only the high end round reels are made by Abu.
Outsourced is not automatically bad. If they make the designs, the moulds etc... The problem is when you choose a model in a chinese OEM factory catalogue and just put your logo on it

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed May 03, 2017 11:18 pm

nolaDuke wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
nolaDuke wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:

Outsourced is not automatically bad. If they make the designs, the moulds etc... The problem is when you choose a model in a chinese OEM factory catalogue and just put your logo on it

Thats pretty much what Abu does with their LP reels now.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri May 05, 2017 12:41 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
nolaDuke wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
nolaDuke wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:

When did ABU start to outsource their low profile reels?
I have several Gen 1 Revo Premiers that are bullet proof.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri May 05, 2017 1:17 am

mark poulson wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
nolaDuke wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
nolaDuke wrote:

When did ABU start to outsource their low profile reels?
I have several Gen 1 Revo Premiers that are bullet proof.
The Gen 1s were the best of the best for the Abu LPs. Im not 100% sure they were, but I know the Gen 2s were (were pretty good), Gen 3s definitely (they suck donkey nutz) :lol:
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri May 05, 2017 1:31 am

Thanks.
I'm always amazed at how a company can come up with a great product, and then ruin it by "improving" it. I'm guessing it's because they are trying to find a cheaper way to manuf. it after it has become a success.
But, then again, I'm still amazed at computers, so maybe it's just me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri May 05, 2017 2:13 am

mark poulson wrote:Thanks.
I'm always amazed at how a company can come up with a great product, and then ruin it by "improving" it. I'm guessing it's because they are trying to find a cheaper way to manuf. it after it has become a success.
But, then again, I'm still amazed at computers, so maybe it's just me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Its pretty much the norm. Look at all the chaos I caused with the plastic wormshaft and pawl discussion. :lol: Its the reason I only use certain reels. I have seen the insides of soo many doing reel services for people.
<")))><{

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 05, 2017 4:01 am

They're both Banax but the 13 reels use some tooling that is their IP. Pretty sure the guts of the 13 reels are Banax.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri May 05, 2017 10:12 am

LowRange wrote:They're both Banax but the 13 reels use some tooling that is their IP. Pretty sure the guts of the 13 reels are Banax.

That's exactly what i was thinking.

Well.. i don't think they have their own "tooling" might just be a....Hey if we order 2000 can you make this special.

Hence the 200+$ prices on so many of their reels. Even though they really look like they should cost okuma prices

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 05, 2017 10:49 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:They're both Banax but the 13 reels use some tooling that is their IP. Pretty sure the guts of the 13 reels are Banax.

That's exactly what i was thinking.

Well.. i don't think they have their own "tooling" might just be a....Hey if we order 2000 can you make this special.

Hence the 200+$ prices on so many of their reels. Even though they really look like they should cost okuma prices
I get what you're saying about exclusive acess to a platfrom but I actually read somewhere that some tooling to make the reel is owed by 13 and is their IP. Don't know the details but I suspect it is frame or side plate related.