New Daiwa Steez A broke after second use...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New Daiwa Steez A broke after second use...

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi all,
I bought a Daiwa Steez A TW Casting Reel 1016SHL on the 10th of May 2017 from Tackle Warehouse.

After my 2nd outing with the reel two issues occurred with the reel.

1st: The pin that is adding to the stability of the reel got loose and eventually fell out.

2nd: The reel started making weird noises on retrieve.

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed that this happens on a 450 USD reel within the first 4 weeks, which is supposed to be a flagship reel of Daiwa. I have not experienced this with my high end reels from Shimano. It seems like this is a lemon...

I sent the daiwa guys videos of the two issues and eventually called them to follow up. They told me I have to send the reel in and expect a turn around time of 3-4 weeks.

This is kind of unacceptable to me, given the time that I have used the reel and the price class that the reel is in.

What would you do?

Thanks!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Daiwa Steez A broke after second use...

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:53 pm

Maybe it was a lemon, if you liked the performance before it broke I'd wait, or see if TW or Daiwa will replace it. But it's your call.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:46 pm

I would call Tackle Warehouse and see what they can do for you.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Ypu could also call The Tackle Trap. They are Daiwa warranty service center. Great guys, and im sure you will get faster service.
<")))><{

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:11 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Ypu could also call The Tackle Trap. They are Daiwa warranty service center. Great guys, and im sure you will get faster service.
+ 1

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:30 pm

What exactly happened with the pin? I can understand/diagnose a loud or rough retrieve, but I'm not understanding what exactly you meant about the pin falling out.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Looks like a lot of issues folks report on that new Steez A TW reel...

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:53 pm

I contacted TW and they told me that I should send it to them and they will exchange it. Great service! One of the reasons that I stick with them, even if I have to pay sales tax as a Cali boy! :)

I would love to post the video here, but the format (I took with my phone) is not supported...

It is the metal pin that sits between the two side plates and (in my opinion) is there to guarantee the stability between the two sides.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:21 pm

papabassin wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Ypu could also call The Tackle Trap. They are Daiwa warranty service center. Great guys, and im sure you will get faster service.
+ 1
Best People to deal with
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:48 pm

freelancer27 wrote:I contacted TW and they told me that I should send it to them and they will exchange it. Great service! One of the reasons that I stick with them, even if I have to pay sales tax as a Cali boy! :)

I would love to post the video here, but the format (I took with my phone) is not supported...

It is the metal pin that sits between the two side plates and (in my opinion) is there to guarantee the stability between the two sides.
Ok I see what you mean now, I have owned Lew's and ABU reels where that pin (similar to it) screws out or pulls loose to release the brake sideplate. Yeah, I hate to say it as a Daiwa fan, but something is up with this model... been multiple reports on issues and many people were less than satisfied with overall performance... They should have LITERALLY just put an aluminum frame on the SV TWS and left the spool, brakes, bearings, and what ever else same as possible to satisfy inshore fisherman.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:51 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:I contacted TW and they told me that I should send it to them and they will exchange it. Great service! One of the reasons that I stick with them, even if I have to pay sales tax as a Cali boy! :)

Ok I see what you mean now, I have owned Lew's and ABU reels where that pin (similar to it) screws out or pulls loose to release the brake sideplate. Yeah, I hate to say it as a Daiwa fan, but something is up with this model... been multiple reports on issues and many people were less than satisfied with overall performance... They should have LITERALLY just put an aluminum frame on the SV TWS and left the spool, brakes, bearings, and what ever else same as possible to satisfy inshore fisherman.
I am hearing about more and more issues with the new Steez A. I am wondering if I should exchange it to something else:

* Daiwa Zillion HD Casting Reels
* Shimano Metanium MGL Casting Reel
* Abu Garcia REVO MGX Casting Reel

I liked the reel from a performance, look and feel. But I am worried that I will have another issue with it down the road...

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:23 pm

Oh well. I am just giving it another try, what can go wrong... ;)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:25 am

freelancer27 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

I am hearing about more and more issues with the new Steez A. I am wondering if I should exchange it to something else:

* Daiwa Zillion HD Casting Reels
* Shimano Metanium MGL Casting Reel
* Abu Garcia REVO MGX Casting Reel

I liked the reel from a performance, look and feel. But I am worried that I will have another issue with it down the road...
A Daiwa Zillion HD is basically a Zillion TWS with a big handle and magsealed bearing, I love the TWS though and as long as you're using 1/4 and above they are perfect.
I'm not sure on the MGL Metanium for same applications as the previous and the Steez A, but they get great reviews, just not much or as much line capacity.
The Revo MGX is a tiny little reel and definitely going to be more finesse oriented, I have seen great reviews on the performance of the new MGX and MGXtreme, but nothing on reliability or durability.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:45 pm

Cracker wrote:Looks like a lot of issues folks report on that new Steez A TW reel...
Yeah; seems like the most positive reviews come after guys spend 3 weeks working on them or changing out spools 59 times, or excuses about inshore application purposes. I like messing with reels as much as the next guy, but I'd like to know that I could get decent use out of the box for 450. Also, I've used gear out of application norms tons of times when needed. Never works like a dream, but it beats a stick and yarn. Maybe I'll pick up a used one that survives years from now, but this model is on a long wait list for me at this point. I love metal feeling reels too and absolutely prefer to feel weight in my hand. But If I'm going to mess with a reel, I'd rather mess with an older, classic model.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Ok, my model is not deliverable until August 30th. I do not want to wait that long for the replacement. So, I am considering other reels. 

On the the list are:

* Daiwa Steez SV TWS Casting Reels 7.1:1
* Metanium MGL 8.5:1
* Abu Garcia REVO MGXTREME2 8.0:1

I would like to use the reel for:  Topwater, Spinnerbaits, lipless crankbaits (lure weights: 1/4 - 1.5 oz) 
It is important to me that the reel is: Sturdy, has a good line capacity (at least 100yards of 14# mono) and is light (below 7oz)

What would you choose? Are there other options out there?

​​​​​​​Thanks!