Kastking reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Kastking reels

Post by Jason Penn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:58 am

hungry_cow wrote:I haven't used one but it seems they are totally polarizing as it seems like people say they are the best reel ever made or total crap. Now I am pretty sure they aren't on par with a Curado, Tatula, or something of that caliber but would they be a good reel for someone on a tight budget as a better option than say a Abu silver or black max or cheap in the plastic wal mart Pinnacle? Because those reels are basically paper weights and can ruin someone trying to learn a baitcaster. If they are a decent enough reel to actually cast ok and get through a season or two at a great price that's nothing to bash on and could be a good option for people on a tight budget.
Very good post, a I totally agree with you.

Regarding BR...I post there, but it's definitely a very strange place. It's not really hard to tell who their sponsors are, and when they change.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:16 am

LowRange wrote:I don't think they were too happy with me discovering that the Kastkings are a rebranded OEM product. My Bassresource account stopped working shortly after that. They could have the decency to notify me I was banned. In one thread the OP told a story about how he recommened an angler having problems with his Shishamo should buy a Kastking Royal Legend and I when I pointed out that the two reels are the same Trulinoya platform, Glen deleted the thread.
This is ridiculous, honest opinion to help someone out = banned??? Sad this is how things work at times, money talks I guess. I wish I had a full market report of where the money goes on reels, I would like to know just how much of the market Trulinoya platforms take up versus the other main 5 (Shimano, Daiwa, Abu, Lew's, and 13Fishing).

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:46 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:I don't think they were too happy with me discovering that the Kastkings are a rebranded OEM product. My Bassresource account stopped working shortly after that. They could have the decency to notify me I was banned. In one thread the OP told a story about how he recommened an angler having problems with his Shishamo should buy a Kastking Royal Legend and I when I pointed out that the two reels are the same Trulinoya platform, Glen deleted the thread.
This is ridiculous, honest opinion to help someone out = banned??? Sad this is how things work at times, money talks I guess. I wish I had a full market report of where the money goes on reels, I would like to know just how much of the market Trulinoya platforms take up versus the other main 5 (Shimano, Daiwa, Abu, Lew's, and 13Fishing).
Abu and Lews are based on Doyo reels.
<")))><{

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:04 am

I have also noticed some Pflueger and Abu reels seem to share parts and platform. Are some of them made by the same company?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:41 am

hungry_cow wrote:I have also noticed some Pflueger and Abu reels seem to share parts and platform. Are some of them made by the same company?
Pflueger, BPS, Abu, Lews are all the same company.
<")))><{

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:12 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
cortman wrote:BR is run by a nutjob with a bunch of ok people and some nut jobs moderating for him. "Glenn" who runs the place will do anything and shill anything for a buck, and trash talk any company who won't give him a buck.
A few BR members started a discussion about one of my videos where I compared SHishamo, kastking, and Favorite...

Took all the reels apart and swapped 90% of the parts between the reels.
And gave em all away

They accused the members as being my surrogates....said I used foul language (said hell once which is why they took down links).....I'm crazy...and I don't know what I'm talking about. (no arguemnt about the crazy part though) There were a few threads that discussed my findings.....and since two were site sponsors they were locked down...to protect them
.2 were deleted (well the links no longer work)

One is still live

Truthfully their reels aren't horrible. For 40$ they are worth it.

HOwever the casitas, fuego ct, imho are worth the step up in price if you are shipping in the 70-100 price range.
Came upon this video on YT not too long ago, watched the entire video, it was pretty good.
I was also questioning as how this guy on YT knows so much....makes sense now lolol
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:27 pm

So to refresh, the Doyo brand, Shimano, Daiwa, 13's brand, and the brand you mentioned... Wonder who controls most of the market??? Forgetting about all the beginners who pick up Zebco's...

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Last edited by 389Maverick on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:55 pm

13 Reels are mix of OEM Banax and 13 IP. I believe some of the tooling to make the reels belongs to 13. Unless I am mistaken, they are a 13 designed reel platform built in Korea in an OEM owned factory made with OEM guts. This is a big step up from slapping your name on an existing OEM product line in my eyes. If they can make the magnesium reels less geary feeling and offer dual brake or at least external adjustable centrifugal brakes, then I'd love to give 13 another try.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:29 pm

I have a Concept A and I have been really impressed with it. It is decently smooth and spooled with 11lb mono and with the brakes set around half it will cast a huge range of lures with no backlash and only a little fluff at the extreme ends of the range. Most of my other reels are Dawia SVs so my thumb is very lazy, I have been amazed at how forgiving the reel has been.

I am thinking of buying a second one to have a set to use on my kayak. They are a perfect spot of "nice enough to be enjoyable to use" and "cheap enough to not worry a ton about".

What I really love are those chunky compressed cork knobs. I would love to find Dawia S knobs made out of that stuff.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:44 am

Bass Resource and Glenn, what a joke! He suspended me about 2 yrs ago, said I sold too much stuff there. Funny thing is, I never sold a single item as a result of that forum. 3 of his own moderators went to bat for me and he lifted the suspension right away lol! I have bought things there, though. Apparently, he doesn't know how websites work.....I told that idiot via PM that more traffic on his site equals more money he can charge advertisers to be on the site, regardless of which subforum members spend the most time in. Then I told him I would not be part of any site that resembled the gov't. of 1940's Germany.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.