Reel Casualty

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel Casualty

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Slazmo wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:Daiwa Sol 2500 spinning reel, I loved it at first, smooth and I also loved the color but after just
a few times using the reel it felt like a grinder.....returned and never got another Daiwa since.
Type 1 or Type 2?

Type 2's have been absolutely horrendous here in Aus. The Type 1's can almost fetch more in resale than the newer models.
This one, my guess is its a type 1
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewtdsolspin.html

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:10 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Slazmo wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:Daiwa Sol 2500 spinning reel, I loved it at first, smooth and I also loved the color but after just
a few times using the reel it felt like a grinder.....returned and never got another Daiwa since.
Type 1 or Type 2?

Type 2's have been absolutely horrendous here in Aus. The Type 1's can almost fetch more in resale than the newer models.
This one, my guess is its a type 1
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewtdsolspin.html
Hmm must've got a lemon. But in all honesty a reel whose origin could've been from China, Thailand, Vietnam or another they were a stable reel overall, cult following here almost.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:30 am

My Sol didn't impress me as much as I expected. Same for my Curado 51Es. The tuned one doesn't seem to perform any better than the stock one, and my understanding is Shimanos give better results from tuning than Diawas due to the spool shaft design.

I wasn't expecting my 50th Anniversary Zillion to be a set-and-forget reel. Love that puppy! However, the reel that has impressed me the most is my Primmus Xi HS. Set the spool tension and brakes out of the box before spooling line on it. Haven't touched it once since...other than to reset spool tension after somehow accidentally removing all of it. Smooth, distance is very good but most of all it is the most forgiving reel to cast I own. Pretty light amd pretty looking, too. :big grin:

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:32 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:My Sol didn't impress me as much as I expected. Same for my Curado 51Es. The tuned one doesn't seem to perform any better than the stock one, and my understanding is Shimanos give better results from tuning than Diawas due to the spool shaft design.

I wasn't expecting my 50th Anniversary Zillion to be a set-and-forget reel. Love that puppy! However, the reel that has impressed me the most is my Primmus Xi HS. Set the spool tension and brakes out of the box before spooling line on it. Haven't touched it once since...other than to reset spool tension after somehow accidentally removing all of it. Smooth, distance is very good but most of all it is the most forgiving reel to cast I own. Pretty light amd pretty looking, too. :big grin:
Love my 2 50th's. Best reels I ever owned. Johnny Morris Signature and Sig. Elite. Just junk after a few full seasons.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Shocked to see the lews team lite and 51e mentioned here :shock: :shock:

Those are my favorites, especially the 51e!

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:04 am

goldrod wrote:In my recent heartbreak I wanted to canvas you all why this question. What reel has let you down the most and the least given its age? I never thought my D7 would breakdown on me but it did.
I had a pair of Zeebass ZX 25 Gen 2's Technically 2.5s

I had issues with sand getting under the drag knob. ANd when fish would run. The knob would bind to the spool and tighten it.
I was very vocal about the design flaw. And after being told by owners that act like their protecting their kid, when someone critiques a reel they own. That I'm making it up. Or it's just NJ sad and not the same as in RI or Montauk...Out of the blue ZB came out with upgraded spools to prevent this from occurring.

So I got ZB 27 replacement spools in black......Also had them swap out one of the reel stems to the bailed version.

But after having to pay for the spools...They didn't tell me they shimmed the reel internally...And now the original spools which would work fine on the boat...Now bottomed out.

Then I fought a 150 bluefin tuna......30 minutes in one of the line rollers got loose....Then I felt some binding.....What I thought was binding. Was 2 out of the 3 screws holding the rotor on the reel backing out. And the teeter tottering rotor..... Let me tell you....removing a spool while fighting a tuna is not fun......I mangled the screws using a leatherman to tighten the screws.....Landed the fish on a mystery drag setting an hour later.

Tightened everyhting up as best as possible...only to hook up again...and find the reel stem was loose inside the reel. So the entire reel pivoted at the stem to body join.

Sent it out for service for the 3rd time in 5 months. SOld them both for more than I paid. Even stated all the problems.
1100$ reels.......WOrst reels I've ever owned. Pretty as crap though

I had a pair of original Shimano Magnesium Stradics Mechanically after countless fish was in mint condition until i sold it 2 years ago. Only parts replaced were the ar clutches that wore out.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:31 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
goldrod wrote:In my recent heartbreak I wanted to canvas you all why this question. What reel has let you down the most and the least given its age? I never thought my D7 would breakdown on me but it did.
I had a pair of Zeebass ZX 25 Gen 2's Technically 2.5s

I had issues with sand getting under the drag knob. ANd when fish would run. The knob would bind to the spool and tighten it.
I was very vocal about the design flaw. And after being told by owners that act like their protecting their kid, when someone critiques a reel they own. That I'm making it up. Or it's just NJ sad and not the same as in RI or Montauk...Out of the blue ZB came out with upgraded spools to prevent this from occurring.

So I got ZB 27 replacement spools in black......Also had them swap out one of the reel stems to the bailed version.

But after having to pay for the spools...They didn't tell me they shimmed the reel internally...And now the original spools which would work fine on the boat...Now bottomed out.

Then I fought a 150 bluefin tuna......30 minutes in one of the line rollers got loose....Then I felt some binding.....What I thought was binding. Was 2 out of the 3 screws holding the rotor on the reel backing out. And the teeter tottering rotor..... Let me tell you....removing a spool while fighting a tuna is not fun......I mangled the screws using a leatherman to tighten the screws.....Landed the fish on a mystery drag setting an hour later.

Tightened everyhting up as best as possible...only to hook up again...and find the reel stem was loose inside the reel. So the entire reel pivoted at the stem to body join.

Sent it out for service for the 3rd time in 5 months. SOld them both for more than I paid. Even stated all the problems.
1100$ reels.......WOrst reels I've ever owned. Pretty as crap though

I had a pair of original Shimano Magnesium Stradics Mechanically after countless fish was in mint condition until i sold it 2 years ago. Only parts replaced were the ar clutches that wore out.

Wow... That fighting the tuna and trying to fix the reel at the same time is a nightmare even for me and I wasn't there
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible