Shimano Tranx 300 7.6:1 gear ratio for Bass???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DWeeks4
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Shimano Tranx 300 7.6:1 gear ratio for Bass???

Post by DWeeks4 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:49 pm

Anyone do any research on this reel? Seems like a good large swimbait reel but I was wondering everyone else's thoughts; it's being promoted almost as a modern style low profile option to Calcutta Conquest. Any additional information would be great. I wonder if this new large Swimbait style of fishing such as the 8" and 10" soft body swimbaits are just too big for the bass in Ontario.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Tranx 300 7.6:1 gear ratio for Bass???

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:18 pm

DWeeks4 wrote:Anyone do any research on this reel? Seems like a good large swimbait reel but I was wondering everyone else's thoughts; it's being promoted almost as a modern style low profile option to Calcutta Conquest. Any additional information would be great. I wonder if this new large Swimbait style of fishing such as the 8" and 10" soft body swimbaits are just too big for the bass in Ontario.
I had a three pound smallie eat my 10" jointed swimbait, so, if the baits are too big for them, they don't know it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Tranx 300 7.6:1 gear ratio for Bass???

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 am

Only problem I would see is the absolute blazing fast gear ratio. For larger lures I would use in freshwater, 40 inches per turn is a lot. If you could make it work, I see nothing wrong with it. I crank 6xd's with a 7 speed no problem, so maybe the high speed would be manageable. I guarantee it will hold strong though for that application, so far they seem to have really good reviews...