Spinning reel handle stem question...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Spinning reel handle stem question...

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:44 pm

Silly question here...

Just got back from a great trip to the 1000 Islands and while there I was using my brand new Daiwa Luvias 3012H spinning reel on a St. Croix Legend Xtreme 7' MF spinning rod. Yesterday morning, I noticed that the stem of the reel near the reel seat was scuffed with some paint loss right along where I split the reel with my fingers to hold both it and the rod. I have my wedding ring on and its smooth with tapered edges but could this have caused the loss of paint? I don't believe any of my other reels have this wear (but I could be wrong I would have to look). Would it be the wedding ring or just weaker paint since I have been married for quite some time and clean/baby my gear and never have noticed this type of wear. Not that it really matters since the reel is really awesome but just thought I would ask if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks!

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spinning reel handle stem question...

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:36 pm

Big-Bass wrote:Would it be the wedding ring or just weaker paint since I have been married for quite some time and clean/baby my gear and never have noticed this type of wear.
Micron thin paint onto a slippery Zaion plastic medium, no primer or thick paint applied. Its due to wear of a metallic object against it for sure, however soft Gold is, its still stronger than the paint applied.

Luvias's have always felt very thin paint wise in comparison to say any of their Shimano counterparts say the F, FA Stradic's (same kind of range standing). For when you chip a Stradic you can actually see the depth of the paint; or even going as far as behind the rear butt cap where they tape off the rear for the worm shaft oscillation shaft retainer plate.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:36 pm

My wedding ring is actually not my real one :D ...my white gold one was a little too big so I only wear it for special occasions. This one is a stainless steel brushed cheap one that works even better and stays put while fishing. I guess it's only proper for this to have happened in the 1000 Islands. I proposed to my wife there, was fishing not too far from that spot when I discovered this wear, and as she said, it's only a fishing reel. :D What better place to get a little wear on the reel than the place that started it all.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:23 pm

Big-Bass wrote:What better place to get a little wear on the reel than the place that started it all.
For some of us that like pristine kept reels thats a trialling virtue, however some reels that have knocks and scrapes and blush marks; these can be called permanent memories...

Some reels which are 10 years old have more memories than the owners photo's in existence, some people like them that way.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:42 pm

I love pristine reels too and when I buy them I am often obsessive about having them perfect but this reel is not one I plan on selling. It's a workhorse and for the price I got it at, I got a new one for a used price and then some.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Daiwa has had issues with this in the past, the first gen certates were notorious for chipping badly. I would send it back to Daiwa at the end of the season.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Purchased for $190 plus shipping and it included a free white Daiwa Vector hat...would Daiwa USA be the right place to contact since this (I think) is a JDM reel.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:45 pm

Daiwa is now selling that reel in the states, its on their us website. Where did you buy it?

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:36 am

A little online shop in Alabama! :D

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:50 am

Some company's will not cover reels bought online at non official retailers. Call them and ask, if they no I wouldn't be too upset since you got a great deal on it.