13 Fishing Concept Z

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MAChucker
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: 13 Fishing Concept Z

Post by MAChucker » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Slazmo wrote:Seen the "bearings" on te TT feed on Insta, bushings nothing new. Was hoping for at least magnetic maglev spool bearings.

How long will these last, special lube for them, are they any different from say Shimano's polymer bushing on spools say as in their low end reels or the one in tge Calcutta that everyone swaps out for a bearing...

Honestly we should be at the forefront of 21st century kind of tech. Im pretty disappointed after all the hype.
I'd be curious to know the actual polymer the CZB's are made of. Like you said they might be no different than bushings found in other reels. But from the sounds of it they did a ton of research with some plastics company to get these exactly how they want them. I imagine they are using some Engineering Polymer with much better mechanical properties than some of the standard nylon parts we usually see in reels. I've heard people saying that self lubricating bushing do exist so I guess that's a possibility too. I doubt they'll give up the exact specs on the technology but who knows.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:55 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
mark poulson wrote:The video says zero ball bearings. Maybe they use really small roller bearings instead. Or ceramic sleeves. Or magic. :lol: :shock:
That's funny you mention ceramic sleeves...I've been reaching out to companies trying to get some samples to do some experiments.

Swapping out all bearings to some newer types of bushings.
I was even trying to source 3 point ceramic ball supports to minimize contact area.

I don't believe bearings make that much of a difference as long as they roll true. And my goal was to prove or disprove my theory.

If they charge big $$$$$$$$ and only use bushings....and those bushings are just ceramic sleeves or cheap oil/bronze......I'm going to poop myself laughing at anyone who buys one.

But if they use some new tech i haven't dreamt of yet (i posted a thread on another site discussing how to use printed pole magnets in fishing reels so there isn't a box i can't think outside of :) ) I'll be impressed and definitely buy it.

But to me and I may be 100% wrong. But I look at 13 overall as overpriced okuma. WHo is limited in what they can offer by what lego parts they can get. If they do infact come out with something special. I'll take some siracha, and wasabi mayo with my crow :) They've grown significantly over the last couple years. So maybe they can really develop some unique products.

I'm scratching my head looking at the new shimano ocea jigger...which looks like they removed the "X ship pinion bearing al together....which has been a huge bit of marketing.....and replaced it with...ummm....no bearing...and now gave that a name :laugh1:
Well I used up my last bit of wasabi making some wasabi aoli for my Yellowfin steak.....Grabbin some more tomorrow...So I'm ready just in case.

Albeit kinda looks like a PE bushing.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:35 am

Gonna be interesting to see how these things do in the Florida heat , the deck of a bass boat is way over 100* down here in July , August and September...
Will they warp , expand , contract , etc ? We'll see.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:55 am

johnD wrote:Gonna be interesting to see how these things do in the Florida heat , the deck of a bass boat is way over 100* down here in July , August and September...
Will they warp , expand , contract , etc ? We'll see.

Haha. This is true. Sometimes it hurts to fish my Scorpion Antares. :lol:
<")))><{

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:19 pm

With today's advancements in polymers, I doubt weather will play any greater role in these vs standard metal bearings. I am more interested in seeing how these hold up vs a traditional reel from Daiwa or Shimano.

MAChucker
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by MAChucker » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:46 pm

down4ttown wrote:With today's advancements in polymers, I doubt weather will play any greater role in these vs standard metal bearings. I am more interested in seeing how these hold up vs a traditional reel from Daiwa or Shimano.
I agree. Some higher end polymers have melting temps up around 500 degrees. I have no idea what they used but I can guarantee 100 degrees won't be an issue with how much time they apparently put into material research for this.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:04 am

who's gonna swap out the bushings for bearings ? :lol:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:27 am

johnD wrote:who's gonna swap out the bushings for bearings ? :lol:
You can also swap out bearings for bushings. 13 Fishing is selling the bushing for 11 bucks a pop
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:30 pm

It would be nice if 13 made these in a 3x10x4 so we could try them in our Shimanos.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:05 pm

MaxZmus wrote:It would be nice if 13 made these in a 3x10x4 so we could try them in our Shimanos.
13's sideplate bearing was same size as Shimano's.. Just swapped Hedgehog from Aldebaran 51 to Concept C.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:37 am

MaxZmus wrote:It would be nice if 13 made these in a 3x10x4 so we could try them in our Shimanos.
Good point, they say you will be able to order the discs for your concept " " reels, so they ought to make bearings for other companies. I am assuming it could work that way, still haven't seen a full, good breakdown of this reel/CZB bearing...

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:03 am

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:18 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Good point, they say you will be able to order the discs for your concept " " reels, so they ought to make bearings for other companies. I am assuming it could work that way, still haven't seen a full, good breakdown of this reel/CZB bearing...
If they offered replacement discs for other brands' ball bearings, they wouldn't be able to meet demand! Provide, of course, that these discs are as advertised.

Maybe they'll license the technology to someone else who sells aftermarket bearings.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:17 pm

It's interesting that with the amount of buzz about the Concept Z, it did not win an ICAST award over the Curado K.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:04 pm

Tony9 wrote:It's interesting that with the amount of buzz about the Concept Z, it did not win an ICAST award over the Curado K.
You're right, that is interesting. :?