Daiwa BG feedback

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa BG feedback

Post by Markanthony404 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:15 am

Anyone using this reel? I might pick up a couple but I wanted a few of your opinions. This review was a fun read. According to the writer the BG is in his list of top 5 best spinning reels of all time. It is smoother than reels costing much more, has bearings similar to a Stella and only cost around $100.

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/bg16.html

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/bg_sw_spinning/

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa BG feedback

Post by timinmo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:24 pm

I have a 1500 size. Seems solid as a tank, I believe it is all aluminum body and side plates. Very smooth, a little heavy for size. I have only had it a couple months so can not comment on long term durability. I like the Airbail system which this reel does not have but overall I am pleased with the reel and its performance.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:26 pm

timinmo wrote:I have a 1500 size. Seems solid as a tank, I believe it is all aluminum body and side plates. Very smooth, a little heavy for size. I have only had it a couple months so can not comment on long term durability. I like the Airbail system which this reel does not have but overall I am pleased with the reel and its performance.
I won't mind the extra weight, the absence of the Airbail is a little disappointing. Unfortunately no stores here in western Pa sell this reel.

lordhell
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lordhell » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:29 am

I have tried the BG in 2000, 2500, 3000, and 4000 size, and they are an excellent reel for the money. Nothing from Shimano or another competitor brand in the same price range is comparable. The extra weight is fine as if you balance with appropriate rod. I own and fished Stellas, Exists, Steez, Certates, etc. This reel, IMO, sits right at the entry level to those top end reels, but has a low end price. The gripe I have with Stellas and Steez/Exists are that they feel frail and fragile. The BG is a much tougher feeling reel when used side by side. I have not used the BG long enough to know how durable they are, but they sure feel like a tank as previous member mentioned. Easily one of my best purchases for general freshwater/saltwater fishing.