Daiwa ICAST 2017 (2018 products)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa ICAST 2017 (2018 products)

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:57 am

spookybaits wrote:Daiwa spinning reels from the Japan fishing show in February-
Theory, Aegis, Steez type I & II
Might see some of these at icast?

https://youtu.be/8OFSWsb54P4

Side note: If you like daiwa/daiwa JDM/SLP works, that YouTube channel is definitely worth subscribing to. Tons of sick JDM fishing vids
How do I get a translation?

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:47 pm

mark poulson wrote:

Side note: If you like daiwa/daiwa JDM/SLP works, that YouTube channel is definitely worth subscribing to. Tons of sick JDM fishing vids
You don't :lol:
If you don't have a Japanese friend who can translate, I'd reach out to Japan lure shop, platt, jpangler, Japan tackle, etc and ask them any questions you have.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:31 pm

spookybaits wrote:
mark poulson wrote:

You don't :lol:
If you don't have a Japanese friend who can translate, I'd reach out to Japan lure shop, platt, jpangler, Japan tackle, etc and ask them any questions you have.

Ah, so deska! Wakarimas. That's all the Japanese I know, and it's from Shogun! :lol:

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Always anxious to see what the big boys do at Icast each year.

jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jte54 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:33 pm

timinmo wrote:Anything is possible but the cover says Ballistic LT.
I tried to find a picture online could you please post a link or picture? Also I wonder if the LT is for light and tough....bc LT used to be on two different model rods and hoping they come out with another line of rods but I'd be super surprised if they did since the got the Fuego and signature series.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Sorry the magazine is at work and I'm at home. Really all it did was show a picture of the reel with a caption of "Ballistic LT, lighter, tougher, faster". I can not swear that I have the caption right but you get the idea. I did not see any information in the magazine about the reel and nothing about new products in the magazine.
I work part-time at a sporting goods store and the store gets the magazine. They did the same thing last year with the BG, picture on the cover but no information. For what it is worth I did not see a dramatic difference from the old model.

I did look online to try to find a picture but was unsuccessful. The magazine is Fishing Tackle Retailer, maybe you can find something.

jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jte54 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:49 pm

timinmo wrote:Sorry the magazine is at work and I'm at home. Really all it did was show a picture of the reel with a caption of "Ballistic LT, lighter, tougher, faster". I can not swear that I have the caption right but you get the idea. I did not see any information in the magazine about the reel and nothing about new products in the magazine.
I work part-time at a sporting goods store and the store gets the magazine. They did the same thing last year with the BG, picture on the cover but no information. For what it is worth I did not see a dramatic difference from the old model.

I did look online to try to find a picture but was unsuccessful. The magazine is Fishing Tackle Retailer, maybe you can find something.

Thank you for looking and trying. Also good info.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:33 pm

Bassmaster didn't have much in their preview on Daiwa...only reels that are already out. Hoping that there are more new reels for the show in a few weeks.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:11 pm

The new Tatula spinner looks like they are taking a shot at the stradic ci4 plus.

Those looking at the ultegra price point are gonna have to really think hard.

No magseal

And just like last year when daiwa poo poo'ed on everyone in the 99$ price point for saltwater spinners. It looks like they may be doing it again only for the FW reels.

Good looking stuff. I wonder how the new Shimano Saros is gonna compare

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Any pictures? I know you're a Stella 3000 guy (Delaware River when we met) but have you since moved to Daiwa stuff? I was thinking about picking up a Procyon at $99 but I want to know if I should wait. I don't mind paying more if I know I am getting something a little better. Thanks!

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:52 pm

TravisNY wrote:
JWR075 wrote:Not a reel per say but Daiwa is now the rod and reel sponsor of Mark Zona.
This disappoints me a bit. I don't generally keep up with who is sponsored by this or that as 99% of it isn't applicable to my smallmouth fishing and there are a great deal of "staffers" that throw things other than what jerseys read. I've even bowed out of such "pro staff" activity. However, as a smallmouth only guy I was generally locked into with enthusiasm on the NRX (all I use) as to what Mr. Zona was helping them develop on the smallie front (long spins). I guess a three power over 7 foot NRX is now a complete pipe dream. I've been waiting and then some (without going inshore).

Perhaps there's a "Z" Tatula Elite AGS long smallie spin coming at some point to complement Seths' ? I am now again hoping. Hope is a good thing.

It's an ugly business.

Thanks for the heads up sir.
Daiwa has numerous 7-6" Spin Long cast besides the Seth Fielder Model that have been under the radar.
Here they are...introduced for 2016 and 2017:
Steez-AGS: STZ761MMLFS-AGS
Cronos: CN761MMLFS
CN761MMLXS-ST
Tatula: TAT761MLXS
TAT761MXS
Tatula AGS-Elite: TAEL761MLMFS-AGS (The Seth Felder rod)

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:57 pm

Big-Bass wrote:Any pictures? I know you're a Stella 3000 guy (Delaware River when we met) but have you since moved to Daiwa stuff? I was thinking about picking up a Procyon at $99 but I want to know if I should wait. I don't mind paying more if I know I am getting something a little better. Thanks!
Hey man!!

I use alot of both. But for fw spinners my keepers are stellas...and use others for review purposes. Saltwater i have lots of keepers

I have pics but was told not to share. I also have pics from 2 other brands of whats coming but only was given permission to "hint" with the daiwa stuff.

The entirety of tatula spinner looks like the saltiga rotor. High carbon content polymer. The spool has been redesigned as well. Has a propulsion like bevel.....all black Basically a workhorse reel that can be routinely serviced. Taking aim at the stradic ci4+

the 99$ fuego is from what i'm told using a different polymer closer to that of the ci4 stradic. but has magseal. looks kinda like the ballistic

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Any word on new bait casting reels? How about the Tatula CS reels with the cork knobs? How about a reel to bridge the cap between the Zillion and the Steez? TD-Z Anniversary edition? :lol: \:D/ :big grin:

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Big-Bass wrote:Any word on new bait casting reels? How about the Tatula CS reels with the cork knobs? How about a reel to bridge the cap between the Zillion and the Steez? TD-Z Anniversary edition? :lol: \:D/ :big grin:
theres a special edition SLP zillion sv in Japan

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:15 am

E73Bass wrote:
TravisNY wrote:
JWR075 wrote:Not a reel per say but Daiwa is now the rod and reel sponsor of Mark Zona.
This disappoints me a bit. I don't generally keep up with who is sponsored by this or that as 99% of it isn't applicable to my smallmouth fishing and there are a great deal of "staffers" that throw things other than what jerseys read. I've even bowed out of such "pro staff" activity. However, as a smallmouth only guy I was generally locked into with enthusiasm on the NRX (all I use) as to what Mr. Zona was helping them develop on the smallie front (long spins). I guess a three power over 7 foot NRX is now a complete pipe dream. I've been waiting and then some (without going inshore).

Perhaps there's a "Z" Tatula Elite AGS long smallie spin coming at some point to complement Seths' ? I am now again hoping. Hope is a good thing.

It's an ugly business.

Thanks for the heads up sir.
Daiwa has numerous 7-6" Spin Long cast besides the Seth Fielder Model that have been under the radar.
Here they are...introduced for 2016 and 2017:
Steez-AGS: STZ761MMLFS-AGS
Cronos: CN761MMLFS
CN761MMLXS-ST
Tatula: TAT761MLXS
TAT761MXS
Tatula AGS-Elite: TAEL761MLMFS-AGS (The Seth Felder rod)
Yes sir I'm well aware.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.