Daiwa Tatula SV spool bearing access

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Tatula SV spool bearing access

Post by chreim20 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:36 am

Hey guys,
I just picked up a Daiwa Tatula sv casting reel. I own mostly Shimano reels, not much experience with Daiwa. Anyway, I wanted to remove the spool bearings, clean them, and lightly oil them. My question is, to get the bearing out of the handle sideplate, do I have to remove the sideplate? I took the cast control cap off and it looks like it's sealed, except for a hole where the spool shaft comes through. Schematics appears to show the bearing is inside the sideplate. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Christian

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Tatula SV spool bearing access

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:39 am

Christian, you indeed do have to remove the side plate to access the spool bearing on that side.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:Christian, you indeed do have to remove the side plate to access the spool bearing on that side.
Okay, thank you, that seems pretty inconvenient, no wonder my Daiwa friends prefer the free floating spool.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:46 pm

How would you put a drop of oil on your spool bearing during regular maintenance? Take the side plate off everything time you want to put a drop of oil on it?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:09 pm

chreim20 wrote:How would you put a drop of oil on your spool bearing during regular maintenance? Take the side plate off everything time you want to put a drop of oil on it?
Just under do the cast control friction cap, that gives you direct access to the bearing.

After the first service pop the outer facing shield so that you can see the bearing cage inside, makes adding oil to the balls much more efficient and accurate.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Slazmo wrote:
chreim20 wrote:How would you put a drop of oil on your spool bearing during regular maintenance? Take the side plate off everything time you want to put a drop of oil on it?
Just under do the cast control friction cap, that gives you direct access to the bearing.

After the first service pop the outer facing shield so that you can see the bearing cage inside, makes adding oil to the balls much more efficient and accurate.
Yeah, I know the cast control gives you access to the bearing on my Shimano reels, but not the Daiwa, it's covered with a black plastic shield with a hole in the middle for the spool shaft. So your saying that black shield can be removed so the bearing is exposed for easy oiling just by removing the cast control cap?

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:10 pm

chreim20 wrote:
Slazmo wrote:

Yeah, I know the cast control gives you access to the bearing on my Shimano reels, but not the Daiwa, it's covered with a black plastic shield with a hole in the middle for the spool shaft. So your saying that black shield can be removed so the bearing is exposed for easy oiling just by removing the cast control cap?
take the cap off and look , you can easily get a drop of oil in the race of the bearing.

these little needle tipped bottles help , if you really want to pump it in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-Refillable ... SwuxFY19sd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TSI-321-Synthet ... SwJkJWkCyO

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:54 am

johnD wrote:take the cap off and look , you can easily get a drop of oil in the race of the bearing.

these little needle tipped bottles help , if you really want to pump it in.
John's all over it.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:05 am

Thanks, I appreciate the info, going to buy one now!

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:27 am

If it's like the Type R CT the bearing has a pressed in retainer holding the bearing in the side plate, it's a pretty crappy design... Daiwa used the cheapest route possible.

Kurt

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:28 am

Those wonky bearing retainers are my only complaint with the Tatulas since the CT. The SV also uses them. I got a couple of the older style retainers from Tackle Trap to see if they’d fit, but no dice.

One other thing of note with the Tatula SV is that they seem to come relatively dry of oil and grease. I put HH ZR bearings in one of mine and noticed the main gear and pinion didn’t have much lubricant, so I added just a little.