Shimano sustain noise

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
asianator99
Angler
Angler

Shimano sustain noise

Post by asianator99 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Hello,
I recently bought a shimano sustain. It's smooth as silk but it's making a soft shhh shh noise (best I can describe it). It make sense this noise without the spool and without line. However, when I spin the spool by hand, not by handle, it's quiet, but if I turn it by handle the noise returns. I already oiled the handle bearings but it has had no effect. Is this normal? I know it's a small thing but it's really annoying to me. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

asianator99
Angler
Angler

Re: Shimano sustain noise

Post by asianator99 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:46 pm

Also the bail no longer clicks when I open it but it clicks when I close it? What should I do, can fix it?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:46 pm

So when you spin the reel the "sssssshhhhhh" noise is apparent when the rotor turns? Sorry but had a struggle trying to follow your description.

Most likely will be the rotor bearing or the anti reverse making contact between the numerous drum bearings (inside) with the internal sleeve - could be slightly dry in there, or the main pinion bearing going or wearing in depending on its age. It seems that its second hand following on with the second issue?

The second issue with the bail trip click.

Could be the ramp being worn inside - on the opening side which is the ramp up slope, the pawl pin not having enough resistance. On the return its a more abrupt kick up which it may have enough resistance left to make the audible noise.

asianator99
Angler
Angler

Post by asianator99 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:59 am

Thanks for the reply, the reel is brand new which is my this is kind of frustrating. I've fished with it once. I'm going to a reel repair shop to have it looked at today.

FishyMCfishFace
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FishyMCfishFace » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 am

I have had the 3000 series Sustain for about 3 years and have never heard the noise your describing, nor have I had any issues with the bail. If you bought it new, maybe you should exchange it for a different one.
It's hands down the best reel I have ever fished with. I'm sure once you have it fixed or exchanged you will not regret it.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Both of those issues are not normal. I would return it to the store where it was purchased and exchange it. Unless your real handy or have experience dismantling reels I wouldn't recommend fixing that yourself. If returning is not an option send it in to Shimano.

asianator99
Angler
Angler

Post by asianator99 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:48 pm

I talked to the lady at the reel repair shop and she said that Shimano bearings of the have the noise problem and she'll upgrade all the bearings to mmb bearings free of charge.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:19 pm

asianator99 wrote:I talked to the lady at the reel repair shop and she said that Shimano bearings of the have the noise problem and she'll upgrade all the bearings to mmb bearings free of charge.
i've had mine for 3 years and never had a problem. Actually, i;ve owned 20+ shimano spinning reels and never had bearing issues.

asianator99
Angler
Angler

Post by asianator99 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Maybe I just got a dud or it was banged up during shipping. The reel is in the shop and I should get it back by Friday.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Its the point of the crappy smidgen of grease they put in a bearing to lubricate it - its very hit and miss.

The bearings should be properly lubed prior to instal but you know how it all works and profits etc.