Curado 71 or Chronarch MGL?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Curado 71 or Chronarch MGL?

Post by wilddog66 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 am

For 1/4 to 1/2 oz jerkbaits and 1/4 - 3/8 oz lipless, maybe some 3/16 - 1/4 oz shakey head, on a new Loomis GLX 842C MBR? I have a Chronarch MGL on my heavier jerk/crank/topwater rod, love it! Just unsure how it will handle these lighter weight presentations. No experience with the CU71. Line will be 11lb Armilo or 10lb 832, HH Air bearings. Fishing from the bank, so distance without backlash is very important. I am currently using a Curado 51E for these apps, but I'm considering newer models due to their performance and adjustability with fall jerkbait season approaching.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado 71 or Chronarch MGL?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:27 am

I would upgrade the bearings on the 51E and be done with it. Its a better reel. You can even get a shallow spool for it if you need.
<")))><{

bassbassontherange
Angler
Angler

Post by bassbassontherange » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:45 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:I would upgrade the bearings on the 51E and be done with it. Its a better reel. You can even get a shallow spool for it if you need.
While I agree the 50e's are a fantastic platform, I think you'll like a 70 or an MGL. The 70 is probably a little more durable as far as cosmetics go, but the MGL is a better performing reel. I haven't found an equal to the MGL Chronarch or Metanium in terms of casting, smoothness, or overall versatility. Why buy a shallow spool when the MGL spool is a pretty darn good finesse platform already?

Keep the 50 (or sell it to me), but I really like the new MGL's.

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:51 pm

I know it's not on your list but I bought an Aldebaran HG for my GLX 842 for the exact same techniques you listed. Unbelievable combo...and I have 7 Metanium MGL's.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:34 am

This is a question I have wondered about for a while too. I still want to try my first Shimano baitcaster, just bought my second Zillion SV. I would use the possible Shimano Curado 70 or Chronarch MGL for similar lures; would it be better to try the cheaper Curado or go all the way and try the Chronarch MGL. I really wanna try to MGL though and just see what Shimano has to offer against the new Zillion.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:06 am

DirtyD64 wrote:This is a question I have wondered about for a while too. I still want to try my first Shimano baitcaster, just bought my second Zillion SV. I would use the possible Shimano Curado 70 or Chronarch MGL for similar lures; would it be better to try the cheaper Curado or go all the way and try the Chronarch MGL. I really wanna try to MGL though and just see what Shimano has to offer against the new Zillion.
I bought a 70HG for $150. I then bought the Chronarch MGL for $234. The performance increase that I noticed was very little if any over the 70HG. I had an issue with the Chronarch MGL instead of exchanging it for another CH MGL I just returned got my money back and went with another 70XG not an $84 difference IMO. I added HH air bearings to the XG still $50 under the CH MGL price.
For actual performance my stock 70HG will outcast my upgraded 50E that has SS abec7 bearings w/one clear brake block applied. So those that can take advantage of the better braking system, the 70 has over the 50E, they will be rewarded. Those that cant complain about the plastic worm gear. :roll: :big grin:

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:46 am

i have 2 curado 70's. by far my favorite reel. I had an upgraded 50e, but sold it and wanted another small reel. Bought these and use them for everything. Have one right now on my L action rod casting 1/8 oz swim baits and its works great.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:58 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:This is a question I have wondered about for a while too. I still want to try my first Shimano baitcaster, just bought my second Zillion SV. I would use the possible Shimano Curado 70 or Chronarch MGL for similar lures; would it be better to try the cheaper Curado or go all the way and try the Chronarch MGL. I really wanna try to MGL though and just see what Shimano has to offer against the new Zillion.
I bought a 70HG for $150. I then bought the Chronarch MGL for $234. The performance increase that I noticed was very little if any over the 70HG. I had an issue with the Chronarch MGL instead of exchanging it for another CH MGL I just returned got my money back and went with another 70XG not an $84 difference IMO. I added HH air bearings to the XG still $50 under the CH MGL price.
For actual performance my stock 70HG will outcast my upgraded 50E that has SS abec7 bearings w/one clear brake block applied. So those that can take advantage of the better braking system, the 70 has over the 50E, they will be rewarded. Those that cant complain about the plastic worm gear. :roll: :big grin:
This is what I wanted to hear. You aren't the first who has returned a Chronarch MGL on the site. By my count about the 3rd or more. I really like the way they feel but all these reports scare me. I have seen more than a few good deals on the 70, maybe I should give it a go. If you don't mind me asking, what was your issue with on the Chronarch MGL???

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:31 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
This is what I wanted to hear. You aren't the first who has returned a Chronarch MGL on the site. By my count about the 3rd or more. I really like the way they feel but all these reports scare me. I have seen more than a few good deals on the 70, maybe I should give it a go. If you don't mind me asking, what was your issue with on the Chronarch MGL???
X2

CyYak_Fishing
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by CyYak_Fishing » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm fairly new to baitcasting and freshwater fishing in general. So take my input for what it's worth, I'm a NOOB lol.

I purchased a Chronarch MGL earlier this year, pretty much stole it on eBay for less than the price of a Curado. ($170ish) it was my first Shimano reel. My only other experience with a baitcaster up to that point was with Daiwa Tatula CTs and I was spoiled by the braking system. Barely had to thumb the spool on those Tatulas depending on the settings I used. The Chronarch MGL, although probably set conservatively on my part, gave me no issues. I adjusted quickly and love that reel.

I decided to expand my Shimano stable and added a Curado 71 a couple weeks ago, and it's been the toughest reel to get dialed in. I learned the hard way that the braking system is unlike the Chronarch MGL and found that I had to turn all 4 brakes on in addition to having the spool tension knob pretty tight. I've faired better with heavier lures on the Curado 71. I cast 1/4+ oz jigs + trailer better than I can light t-rigged plastics. I've backlashed more on the 71 in 2 weeks, than I have on any of my other reels.

Again, this is most likely due to my uneducated thumb. I'm getting better day by day, I think. I love the size of the Curado 71, but much rather prefer the Chronarch, especially at the price I was able to score it for.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:38 pm

X3

No issues thus far with my one Chronarch MGL.

bassbassontherange
Angler
Angler

Post by bassbassontherange » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:43 pm

I service reels locally, and I haven't seen a single Chronarch/Met for anything defective. I'd expect problems sporadically, but despite what some will tell you, Shimano casting reels are pretty solid. The finish on the ci4 reels chips easily, but mechanically the reels hold up. I haven't seen the chipping quite as bad on the newer Chronarch, but that might be just because it's newer.

The build quality of the MGL line is slightly better than the I series, and they held up fairly well compared to other brands. The tolerances are tighter and there's an extra bearing, but otherwise the main difference is the spool and micro gears.

They're not tanks like the old B's or OG zillions, but they make up for it in refinement and versatility. Not everyone agrees with that, but any problems are within normal parameters from what I have seen.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:53 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Lol

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:14 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Thumb bar engagement issue wouldnt fully engage and had a click click noise while reeling.
A noticeable plus for the CH MGL is the power it has over the 70. Reeling in a fish a 2-3 pound fish seems bigger with the 70 the CH MGL brings them in more easily.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:48 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
For actual performance my stock 70HG will outcast my upgraded 50E that has SS abec7 bearings w/one clear brake block applied. So those that can take advantage of the better braking system, the 70 has over the 50E, they will be rewarded. Those that dont need to, complain about the plastic worm gear. :roll: :big grin:
FIFY :D
<")))><{