Thoughts on Daiwa JDM Zillion TW 1516

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Thoughts on Daiwa JDM Zillion TW 1516

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:21 pm

What is every ones thoughts on this reel for chatter baits and spinner baits. It would be paired up on a Dobyns dc736 cb glass
15 to 20 lb floro.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Thoughts on Daiwa JDM Zillion TW 1516

Post by TommyG » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:46 am

I have the JDM 7.3 and 5.5. Both are great reels. The spools hold a little less line then the USDM model. The 7.3 has plenty of power for big spinner baits 1oz. and chatterbaits with 16 or 20 lb. sunline super fc. They are tough reels, have had no problems with any of them, JDM or USDM.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:29 am

I have the 9.1 JDM. I use it for punching. I have 100mm handlebar it and it has plenty of power. Smooth and durable. I've thrown A rigs and small swim baits with it. Not ideal with that ratio buy it worked.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:28 pm

ccass wrote:I have the 9.1 JDM. I use it for punching. I have 100mm handlebar it and it has plenty of power. Smooth and durable. I've thrown A rigs and small swim baits with it. Not ideal with that ratio buy it worked.
I am strongly considering the reel for frogging and flipping. I had chosen the Abu Garcia Revo Rocket for this but was disappointed with the torque of the reel and also the inability to handle braid well (the line whole at the reel added too much friction).

What do you think are the pros and cons of the reel. Where did you buy it?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Seb.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:47 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
ccass wrote:I have the 9.1 JDM. I use it for punching. I have 100mm handlebar it and it has plenty of power. Smooth and durable. I've thrown A rigs and small swim baits with it. Not ideal with that ratio buy it worked.
I am strongly considering the reel for frogging and flipping. I had chosen the Abu Garcia Revo Rocket for this but was disappointed with the torque of the reel and also the inability to handle braid well (the line whole at the reel added too much friction).

Thanks!

Cheers,
Seb.
Bro...I'm editing a video about punching AND... I talk about that same point. I had the Revo Rocket and talked about the torque in the Rocket vs the Zillion TWS. That's weird.

I got mine pre-ordered from Japan Tackle. It's really nice. I have no problem with power. I can feel it is 9.1 but, I haven't had a problem. Really sturdy and pitches well.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:52 pm

ccass wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

Thanks!

Cheers,
Seb.
Bro...I'm editing a video about punching AND... I talk about that same point. I had the Revo Rocket and talked about the torque in the Rocket vs the Zillion TWS. That's weird.

I got mine pre-ordered from Japan Tackle. It's really nice. I have no problem with power. I can feel it is 9.1 but, I haven't had a problem. Really sturdy and pitches well.
Lol!

What is your youtube channel? So there is a big difference between the Revo and the Zillion? I rather go with a lower gear ratio and have more torque than ending up with the same 'Revo-problem' ;)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:08 am

The 7.3 is a faster 7.3 because of the big spool, I think it recovers over 32 inches per turn. The 9.1 recovers like 40.1 or something, outrageous amount. I mentioned on another recent post, I love my 9.1 (mainly for the purple) but tend to use 1/2 or less on it. It is very capable like mentioned before (tossing a-rigs in needed), but I prefer to stay at the mentioned range. Using a 1oz Carolina rig one day threw me off, just didn't feel right.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:17 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:The 7.3 is a faster 7.3 because of the big spool, I think it recovers over 32 inches per turn. The 9.1 recovers like 40.1 or something, outrageous amount. I mentioned on another recent post, I love my 9.1 (mainly for the purple) but tend to use 1/2 or less on it. It is very capable like mentioned before (tossing a-rigs in needed), but I prefer to stay at the mentioned range. Using a 1oz Carolina rig one day threw me off, just didn't feel right.

Thanks! I went with the SV103Xs instead. Better bang for the buck imo.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:40 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:The 7.3 is a faster 7.3 because of the big spool, I think it recovers over 32 inches per turn. The 9.1 recovers like 40.1 or something, outrageous amount. I mentioned on another recent post, I love my 9.1 (mainly for the purple) but tend to use 1/2 or less on it. It is very capable like mentioned before (tossing a-rigs in needed), but I prefer to stay at the mentioned range. Using a 1oz Carolina rig one day threw me off, just didn't feel right.

Definitely, my wife bought me a Zillion TWS 9.1 when they were $300 so I am very proud of it, had I known back then what I do now though, I would have rather her pay full price for the SV103 7.9. I turned around and bought her a 7.3 Zillion TWS when they were like $180, hell the 6.3's went down to like $135 on TW. I am starting to consider a 6.3 SV103 for my MH crank rod. Using a Tatula HD 7.3 right now and its plenty strong, but I don't like the basic linear magnetic braking. Just don't know what to do with the HD then.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:35 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

Definitely, my wife bought me a Zillion TWS 9.1 when they were $300 so I am very proud of it, had I known back then what I do now though, I would have rather her pay full price for the SV103 7.9. I turned around and bought her a 7.3 Zillion TWS when they were like $180, hell the 6.3's went down to like $135 on TW. I am starting to consider a 6.3 SV103 for my MH crank rod. Using a Tatula HD 7.3 right now and its plenty strong, but I don't like the basic linear magnetic braking. Just don't know what to do with the HD then.

I thought the OP was about the JDM 1516...not the USDM 100 series.
2 different reels in more then one way.

JDM 1516 has Metal drag star, Magsealed, less plastic. Better performing spool.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:50 pm

E73Bass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

It is. I am sorry if I wasn't clear about not actually owning the EXACT model. Just tried to give some insight because I had extensive experience fishing a cousin reel of what the thread starter asked about.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:32 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
E73Bass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

It is. I am sorry if I wasn't clear about not actually owning the EXACT model. Just tried to give some insight because I had extensive experience fishing a cousin reel of what the thread starter asked about.

Other then frame size...not even close... maybe 3rd cousin.

JDM The Magsealed 1516 is a BEAST. They are my main chunkin and reel'in Reaction Bait Rods.
In fact; I sold off all my USDM series 100 series (6 of 'em) and replaced all with the 1516's. There was a tackle shop out of Florida selling the 1516's earlier this year at $165 Shipped; that I purchased my last 3 from. First 3 came from Japan shop back in 2015.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:22 pm

E73Bass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
E73Bass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

Other then frame size...not even close... maybe 3rd cousin.

JDM The Magsealed 1516 is a BEAST. They are my main chunkin and reel'in Reaction Bait Rods.
In fact; I sold off all my USDM series 100 series (6 of 'em) and replaced all with the 1516's. There was a tackle shop out of Florida selling the 1516's earlier this year at $165 Shipped; that I purchased my last 3 from. First 3 came from Japan shop back in 2015.
Oh well my apologies again. I thought they shared: gears, frame, sideplates, braking system/style, clutch, t-wing, and other BASIC principles. I figure my review still helped, if I gave a fair assessment and the 1516 is better, then just add 10 points to my review. I looked them up now and really see the cosmetic differences, wonder if that better spool would fit in my USDM model...
I would still call them pretty close, those all seem to be basic parts someone could add themselves regardless of how much performance they increase. In fact I take back the cousin comment, more like an identical twin supercharged on steroids.