ZPI Daiwa spools

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cressy
Angler
Angler

ZPI Daiwa spools

Post by Cressy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:46 pm

1st time poster but I have been following the site for years finally deciding to setup an account and post here. Wanted to ask a quick question about the ZPI spools. Sorry if this is common knowledge but I have a Steez EX100XS that I was interested in putting one of these spools in I just wanted to make sure it would fit?

Thanks a lot, and I look forward to posting a lot more here!

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: ZPI Daiwa spools

Post by Teal101 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Yes it will.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Cressy
Angler
Angler

Post by Cressy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:30 pm

Teal101 wrote:Yes it will.
Alrighty thanks a lot!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:10 am

If you're looking at the all new 2017 ZPI PG spools I can tell you that they are amazing. I'm looking forward to the shallower 2017 ZPI M spools arriving at The Tackle Trap soon. I've been a fan of ZPI spools for a very long time, so these were a pleasant surprise to say the least!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cressy
Angler
Angler

Post by Cressy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:22 am

bronzefly wrote:If you're looking at the all new 2017 ZPI PG spools I can tell you that they are amazing. I'm looking forward to the shallower 2017 ZPI M spools arriving at The Tackle Trap soon. I've been a fan of ZPI spools for a very long time, so these were a pleasant surprise to say the least!
I was heavily considering the purple one from TTT it just looks like it would be a perfect fit with the ex100xs! I def will be purchasing within the next couple weeks. Thanks again for the replies guys!

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:12 am

bronzefly wrote:If you're looking at the all new 2017 ZPI PG spools I can tell you that they are amazing. I'm looking forward to the shallower 2017 ZPI M spools arriving at The Tackle Trap soon. I've been a fan of ZPI spools for a very long time, so these were a pleasant surprise to say the least!
Will the ZPI M shallower spools work with the TDZ platform? I didn't see them as compatible on the web sight but it said just a shallow version of the PG spools which do fit the TDZ platform. Was a little confused. If they will work I will have to pre-order one!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 am

Cressy wrote: I was heavily considering the purple one from TTT it just looks like it would be a perfect fit with the ex100xs! I def will be purchasing within the next couple weeks. Thanks again for the replies guys!
The Violet/Purple will look and perform great in there!
hungry_cow wrote:
Will the ZPI M shallower spools work with the TDZ platform? I didn't see them as compatible on the web sight but it said just a shallow version of the PG spools which do fit the TDZ platform. Was a little confused. If they will work I will have to pre-order one!
Yes! All of these will fit the TD-Z platform, but not the 100m of course. We're thinking alike, I'm very excited to get some of the M spools installed in TD-Z's :big grin:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 am

Yea 12 lb test tatsu is my go to line and I like being able to fill a spool without a bunch of backing or wasted line so the M spool should be better for that. The blue spool would look great in my A.O.I. or the purple in the Ito, or the gold in my Topaz bespoke monoblock, so many choices!

What do you think the sweet spot will be for these in terms of weight to cast or application?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:02 am

hungry_cow wrote:Yea 12 lb test tatsu is my go to line and I like being able to fill a spool without a bunch of backing or wasted line so the M spool should be better for that. The blue spool would look great in my A.O.I. or the purple in the Ito, or the gold in my Topaz bespoke monoblock, so many choices!

What do you think the sweet spot will be for these in terms of weight to cast or application?
So many choices indeed, none of which will be a bad choice. I expect the M spool to perform very similarly to the PG spool. Fast, free, great distance with little effort, and extremely impressive control. It's almost like having the control of the SV spool with the distance of a Mag-Z combined, truly amazing spools.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:41 am

bronzefly wrote:So many choices indeed, none of which will be a bad choice. I expect the M spool to perform very similarly to the PG spool. Fast, free, great distance with little effort, and extremely impressive control. It's almost like having the control of the SV spool with the distance of a Mag-Z combined, truly amazing spools.
That would be awesome, right now I use SV spools for my primarily bottom contact reels for its control in skipping, pitching, and roll casting and ZPI RC-002 spools when fishing moving baits where I am doing mostly casting. Do these spools seem to have the range to go from finesse to heavier baits equally well all in the same spool like the SV spools?

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:53 pm

My IS71HL could use a purple M model. Plug and Play??

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:18 am

hungry_cow wrote:
bronzefly wrote:So many choices indeed, none of which will be a bad choice. I expect the M spool to perform very similarly to the PG spool. Fast, free, great distance with little effort, and extremely impressive control. It's almost like having the control of the SV spool with the distance of a Mag-Z combined, truly amazing spools.
That would be awesome, right now I use SV spools for my primarily bottom contact reels for its control in skipping, pitching, and roll casting and ZPI RC-002 spools when fishing moving baits where I am doing mostly casting. Do these spools seem to have the range to go from finesse to heavier baits equally well all in the same spool like the SV spools?
I haven't fished the M spools since they haven't arrived yet, but should be in a couple more weeks. I haven't tried to fish anything under 1/4 oz on the PG spool, but I have fished a 1/4 oz shakey head with a small plastic and the spool was easily up to that task. I've thrown 1 oz heads with a chunky swim bait trailer and big foot ball jigs on the PG spool as well, again, no problems and performed beautifully.
TommyG wrote:My IS71HL could use a purple M model. Plug and Play??
Yes, furthermore each spool comes pre-installed with a ZPI spool bearing and also has an additional palm plate bearing (3x10x4). Some applications may require an additional 3x8x4 for the palm plate, as with a TD-Z for example, that is if you want a matching set of ZPI spool bearings which of course you would!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Larsey
Angler
Angler

Post by Larsey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:36 am

What is the weight of this spool??

I cant fint it anywhere...

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Larsey wrote:What is the weight of this spool??

8g w/ZPI Spool Bearing

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:19 pm

papabassin wrote:
Larsey wrote:What is the weight of this spool??

8g w/ZPI Spool Bearing
Amazing!