SV103 - How many do you own?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1827
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:03 am

I had plans for a SV103 at $250, but these SV105's new for $165ish is hard to beat. They are tough little reels, only gripe about mine is the small stock handle.

User avatar
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2053
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:59 am
Location: Northeast

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:54 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I had plans for a SV103 at $250, but these SV105's new for $165ish is hard to beat. They are tough little reels, only gripe about mine is the small stock handle.
LOL. I thought the same so I have on the way another 103H and two of the 105s in 7:1 to try out. Hopefully they are nice reels. Best wishes on the water!
Last edited by Big-Bass on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2053
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:59 am
Location: Northeast

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:57 am

LowRange wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:What is a reel that can be compared with the SV103? I am wondering if I should pick up another one or get a reel that is similar as the SV103?!
The SV105 (Alphas SV) may be an option as it is at least spiritually similar. It's a smaller reel but much like the SV103 it is a an older beloved Daiwa platform brought back to life with an SV spool. SV103 are basically TD Zillion 103 SVs. If you want anther TD Zillion then try another TD Zillion. TD Zillion HLCs and Type Rs are tops picks. Megabass IP is also worth mentioning. The IP68 looks sharp on an Orochi XX too.
I have an IP68 and IP79 that I have in storage until I can get a proper display case. I love the colors on both but the IP68 is really a beauty. I bet it actually would look great with the original Tatula rods. I thought about a Spinnerbait Special XX for one of my 103H reels because I think it would match up nicely.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2116
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by LowRange » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:52 pm

Big-Bass wrote:
LowRange wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:What is a reel that can be compared with the SV103? I am wondering if I should pick up another one or get a reel that is similar as the SV103?!
The SV105 (Alphas SV) may be an option as it is at least spiritually similar. It's a smaller reel but much like the SV103 it is a an older beloved Daiwa platform brought back to life with an SV spool. SV103 are basically TD Zillion 103 SVs. If you want anther TD Zillion then try another TD Zillion. TD Zillion HLCs and Type Rs are tops picks. Megabass IP is also worth mentioning. The IP68 looks sharp on an Orochi XX too.
I have an IP68 and IP79 that I have in storage until I can get a proper display case. I love the colors on both but the IP68 is really a beauty. I bet it actually would look great with the original Tatula rods. I thought about a Spinnerbait Special XX for one of my 103H reels because I think it would match up nicely.
The IP68 looks a little too good on a Tatula rod. Don't do it or it'll get stuck on it. Finally pried it off the tat once the tip broke and the Orochi xx PP came in.

Image

Image

User avatar
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2053
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:59 am
Location: Northeast

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Yeah...that really does look great!!!

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:14 pm
Location: Europe

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by surge » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:46 am

I remember getting better distance with Zillion SV with lighter baits before I sold it. Got the Zillion G1 spool now and did some distance casting with SV103, measured with line counter:

Original spool: 16g head + shad - 44m; 20g head + shad - 54m
Zillion SV spool: 16g head + shad - 48m; 20g head + shad - 55m;

These results are on par with the SV103 vs Zillion SV results. So it seems that SV103 with the Zillion SV's spool is the ultimate Zillion.

User avatar
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2053
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:59 am
Location: Northeast

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Any updates with the G1 Zillion spool in the SV103?

User avatar
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: OK

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:00 am

Big-Bass wrote:Any updates with the G1 Zillion spool in the SV103?

I have one in one of my XS models. Spool has a ZPI Bearing and Spanky did the spring upgrade.

For light flouro, this spool impresses me more than the ZPI PG spool does. It feels to me like a happy medium between stock and the PG. I am getting incredible distance with the spool on baits from 1/4-3/4 of an ounce and I can really get on the cast without having to feather or baby it like I do with the PG spool and Fluoro. For what it's worth, I look the PG spool out and put it in my H model for swimbaits and stuck 30# J-Braid on it. Now that reel/spool/line/rod combo is a freaking animal! :big grin:

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:33 am

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by jmd_143 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:41 am

2 and counting...

User avatar
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2053
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:59 am
Location: Northeast

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:50 am

I've got a XS on the way with some tricked out parts that I am looking forward to. Hopefully it's a nice match for my Orochi XX. I love these reels! That would bring my count to nine of them. 5 H and 4 XS. Hopefully, the platform will be used again in the future.

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:10 am

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by jlb » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:52 am

I had some sv103xs and 103h's stacked away but I started using some lighter reels and now selling the sv's. Do you guys know of any mods to reduce the weight of the sv103 platform?

User avatar
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2053
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:59 am
Location: Northeast

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:11 am

Don't sell all of them...while lighter might be better in some cases, you may very much regret selling them since they are no longer available and built with no cost cutting materials. Your choice and GLWTS.

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:10 am

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by jlb » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:20 pm

I am definitely going to hang on to a couple.

Post Reply