SV103 - How many do you own?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV103 - How many do you own?

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Big-Bass wrote:I wonder how an OG Steez spool (black one) or a TD-Z spool performs in the SV103? I really want that Zillion spool(s) for my reels. I still wonder why they discontinued this reel? I wish they would do a special edition of it in the near future and add some bling parts...but I am also waiting on that anniversary TD-Z ;) !
I still hope to find a right handed 7.9 SV103... I personally like the Zillion SV TW but understand advantages offered by the SV103. The Zillion SV much like the Zillion TWS is essentially a tuned Tatula CT (TWS wad a tuned original). The gap is much further between the SV TW vs the CT but still they feel similar in hand.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:02 pm

now i am part of the gang as well sv103xs

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Well now I feel left out. Looking at a 6.3 to replace Tatula HD on my deep crank rod. Thanks for the peer pressure.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:12 pm

You should just get one! :D

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:59 am

I now have one SV103 in 6.3L.
It is a very nice reel.
Beautiful to behold - and it performs flawlessly (albeit limited experience with it).
Previously, I have had a slight preference for my Shimanos with various Alphas, PX68s and top shelf T3s as the comparison group.
However, with this SV103 and my recently acquired Ryoga 1016HL plus a number of DiY and SLP SV spools, Daiwa is rapidly closing the gap.
With four reels that can share the same spools - and at present nine spools to chose from in my stash - I can cover many fishing situations with these four reels.
Any regrets? I should have purchased one more SV103...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:12 am

Dalleinf wrote:I now have one SV103 in 6.3L.
It is a very nice reel.
Beautiful to behold - and it performs flawlessly (albeit limited experience with it).
Previously, I have had a slight preference for my Shimanos with various Alphas, PX68s and top shelf T3s as the comparison group.
However, with this SV103 and my recently acquired Ryoga 1016HL plus a number of DiY and SLP SV spools, Daiwa is rapidly closing the gap.
With four reels that can share the same spools - and at present nine spools to chose from in my stash - I can cover many fishing situations with these four reels.
I'm hoping to get one now also, I currently have 2 Zillion SV TW's and considered getting a 3rd during the next TackleWarehouse sale. I found a few SV103's in the 7.9 version on another sight though, but they are right at $250 because of sales tax. Does anyone think its worth it or should I just try and save a few $$$??????

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:43 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:I now have one SV103 in 6.3L.
It is a very nice reel.
I'm hoping to get one now also, I currently have 2 Zillion SV TW's and considered getting a 3rd during the next TackleWarehouse sale. I found a few SV103's in the 7.9 version on another sight though, but they are right at $250 because of sales tax. Does anyone think its worth it or should I just try and save a few $$$??????
Which other site is this?

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi I m looking to get a megabass is finesse spool for the sv103. Do you guys know if it will fit? Due the the difference of air brake vs mag force z. Thanks.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Not sure on that one...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:15 pm

fishingkat wrote:Hi I m looking to get a megabass is finesse spool for the sv103. Do you guys know if it will fit? Due the the difference of air brake vs mag force z. Thanks.
It's 34 mm so it will indeed fit. The question is how will it perform. It really depends on how strong / weak the magnetic polarity of the SV103 is. In my experience it is a little stronger than most other Daiwa reels, with the exception of an SS SV. Mag force Z or Air brake doesn't matter. That's simply a matter of how the inductor works. With air braking it pushes in and out, as well as rotates to a degree. Mag force Z only pushes in and out. It's an odd combination none the less. A heavily ported finesse spool in a tank, workhorse of a reel. Different strokes I suppose. Definitely try it. That's the TT way.

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:32 am

Most excellent advice. Thanks Hog.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:17 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
fishingkat wrote:Hi I m looking to get a megabass is finesse spool for the sv103. Do you guys know if it will fit? Due the the difference of air brake vs mag force z. Thanks.
It's 34 mm so it will indeed fit. The question is how will it perform. It really depends on how strong / weak the magnetic polarity of the SV103 is. In my experience it is a little stronger than most other Daiwa reels, with the exception of an SS SV. Mag force Z or Air brake doesn't matter. That's simply a matter of how the inductor works. With air braking it pushes in and out, as well as rotates to a degree. Mag force Z only pushes in and out. It's an odd combination none the less. A heavily ported finesse spool in a tank, workhorse of a reel. Different strokes I suppose. Definitely try it. That's the TT way.
So are you saying the SV103 is a little over braked? I'm really considering one for my final reel (for now), but planned on putting a Zillion SV TW spool in it (once back in stock), and moving the SV103 spool to my SS/SV which is on a 7' medium crank rod...

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:44 pm

I don't find it overbraked at all. But I also don't find the SS SV to be overly braked as well.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:21 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
So are you saying the SV103 is a little over braked? I'm really considering one for my final reel (for now), but planned on putting a Zillion SV TW spool in it (once back in stock), and moving the SV103 spool to my SS/SV which is on a 7' medium crank rod...
I don't want to say it's over braked. It's just a little more restricted than any of my other Daiwa SV reels. Pretty close to the Steez SV103. I can keep the brake dial on 1 or 2 with just about any size bait and not worry about over runs. After a short break in period, it does open up a bit more. I'm not disappointed in distance, but my other SV reels will out cast it. A spool with a slightly smaller inductor may be the ticket to bliss. I haven't tried it though.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:27 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I don't want to say it's over braked. It's just a little more restricted than any of my other Daiwa SV reels. Pretty close to the Steez SV103. I can keep the brake dial on 1 or 2 with just about any size bait and not worry about over runs. After a short break in period, it does open up a bit more. I'm not disappointed in distance, but my other SV reels will out cast it. A spool with a slightly smaller inductor may be the ticket to bliss. I haven't tried it though.
What SV reels are you referring to? I bought 2 Zillion SV TW reels, and planned on trying an SV103, if they aren't as close for distance and lightweight casting though, I'm just gonna go Zillion SV TW again or try something off the wall like a Chronarch MGL.