AOI Spool Value

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

AOI Spool Value

Post by Mike and Pike » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Thinking about getting one of the new ZPIs for my AOI, ASAP. Ok?
Anyway, looking for an approximate value of an AOI spool in used but very good condition. No chips , flakes, etc. And gauge interest.
Thanks in advance,
Rich

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: AOI Spool Value

Post by hungry_cow » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:23 pm

I think I sold mine for around $75. It is basically an R+ Gigas spool that the TDZ R+ or Personal Order reels use as I understand, or possibly a little faster maybe? But those spools seem to be worth around $60 to $75 so I would think anywhere from like $60 to $100 as its in a rarer color. Just depends on how much someone wants one I guess, as there were only 600 of that spool made and most have a permanent home in an AOI.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Keep the spool! Why sell it while you still have the AOI. If you ever do sell that reel, I would imagine it would go for more stock (or with original parts included) to collectors even if aftermarket parts are on it since it is so rare.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:27 pm

Big-Bass wrote:Keep the spool! Why sell it while you still have the AOI. If you ever do sell that reel, I would imagine it would go for more stock (or with original parts included) to collectors even if aftermarket parts are on it since it is so rare.
This! ;)

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:41 pm

Big-Bass wrote:Keep the spool! Why sell it while you still have the AOI. If you ever do sell that reel, I would imagine it would go for more stock (or with original parts included) to collectors even if aftermarket parts are on it since it is so rare.
I have played the 'keep the spare' game too often and have a pile started.
Can't justify buying a ZPI until I move some other stuff, like a HH Zonda deep spool and an Ito AI, etc.
These are all reels I plan to keep .

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Then I will take the AOI spool. I would love to use it in one of my reels. Please PM me with details and thanks!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Having used the AOI spool extensively and the new 2017 ZPI PG spool as much as I've been able since it's release, I'd take the ZPI spool without equivocation. It's absolutely amazing. Ai and staff have created an incredible component available as a drag and drop install in a wide variety of reels already in most Tackle Tour enthusiasts arsenals. They've sold out the earliest productions runs elsewhere in the world, interestingly enough, many US anglers are once again behind the curve it appears.

In terms of value, I would estimate a true blue AOI spool in mint to new condition to fetch at least $125 if not a good bit more to the right buyer looking for such a fairly uncommon stand alone item. Myself, I'd keep it rather than sell it to fund another spool if you have a complete AOI. Consider buying yourself an inexpensive TD-Z 103H somewhere for less than the cost of the ZPI spool itself and pair it up with any of the multitude of purple, gold, red, or blue parts available from The Tackle Trap, Hedgehog, ZPI, etc...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:29 am

$100+ imo. Very rare to find those spools alone. It's completely different from a Gigas spool as its made of duralumin like the Steez spools while sporting more porting and the R+ inductor. It is one of my favorite distance spools. I agree with Gary, I'd keep it.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:15 am

Mike and Pike wrote:
I have played the 'keep the spare' game too often and have a pile started.
Can't justify buying a ZPI until I move some other stuff, like a HH Zonda deep spool and an Ito AI, etc.
These are all reels I plan to keep .
If you may someday part with the reel than keep it. But if you for sure you will always keep the reel and know for sure you prefer a spool with more control than no sense keeping it in a drawer when it could fund the spool you want to use. I sold my stock spool to get a blue ZPI RC-002 spool and don't regret it one bit. I like the way the ZPI spools cast better and the stock spool amazing as it is to people who like it would have just sat in a drawer as I prefer the ZPI spool in that reel and ZPI or SV spools in my other TDZ / Steez platform reels.