What's Next???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What's Next???

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:09 am

So I sold some equipment, might sell a little more... But for now I probably just need one more reel. Where it ends up is a debate still, but I will find a spot. From the following setups, what does everyone think I should invest in next? I considered an ultralight spinning setup (where wife and I could both use it) and also the other end of the spectrum (getting a heavy power that could handle decent sized swimbaits/small a-rigs). Any suggestions would be great, I am also glad to move any reels around and potentially sell the less expensive reels, I like my rods, even the cheaper ones (lifetime warranties). This is a lot of info so I will leave out the 2 Medium light and 1 Medium spinning combo's.

My current line up:

SV105(7.2)/6'9"ML-f(TFO dropshot rod);8lb Fluro: Dropshotting, spybaits, small jerkbaits, tiny open hook keitechs, Ned rigs, Neko Rigs.

ZillionSVTW(7.3)/7'M-f(Villain 2.0);12lb Fluoro: 3.3/3.8 Keitechs up to 1/4 heads, underspins, flukes, shaky heads, tubes, light TX rigs.

ZillionSVTW(7.3)/7'M-f(Villain 2.0);15lb Fluoro: 3/8max TX rigs, Senkos, small Flip/swim/FB jigs, light spinnerbaits/chatterbaits.

ZillionTWS(7.3)/7'3"MH-f(Lew's Custom Mag Hammer); 30lb Braid: 1/2max TX rigs, Senkos, small jigs, light spinnerbaits/chatterbaits, buzzbaits.

ZillionTWS(9.1)/7'6"MH-f(Villain 2.0); 17lb Fluoro: Flipping 1/2max, FB jigs, Carolina Rigs to 3/4, magnum flukes, big worms, magnum shaky heads.

TatulaR(8.1)/7'6"MH-mf(Lew's Custom Mag Bass 3);17lb Fluoro: Finesse A-Rigs, 4.8/5.8 Keitechs, Swimjigs, big worms, frogs if using braid.

SS/SV(7.1)/7'M-mf(Lew's Custom CB Wart Special); 12lb Fluoro: Up to 1/2oz mid/shallow cranks, jerkbaits, squarebills, shad raps, lipless cranks.

TatulaHD(7.3)/7'6"MH-mf(Lew's Custom Crank Rod 2)15lb Fluoro: Chatterbaits above 3/8, deep cranks, exposed hook swimbaits under 1/2, spinnerbaits, big squarebills.

NEW REEL/6'6"M-f(St. Croix AVIDX): Topwater, switch to Fluoro in winter for jerkbaits, same as 7'M-f Villain 2.0's.
This will probably take a Chronarch MGL or another Zillion SV, might use fluoro and switch out the Zillion TWS w/ braid for topwater because it is a RARE technique.

So what is the next setup? Are there techniques I am missing out on? Thanks for any suggestions.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's Next???

Post by BigG » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:57 am

I would go old school with a TDZ variant or Steez. These reels are smooth, dependable. and easy to obtain at a good price.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:24 am

BigG wrote:I would go old school with a TDZ variant or Steez. These reels are smooth, dependable. and easy to obtain at a good price.
Good thought. I am looking at all of the SV103's for sale right now. Would be on it immediately if I can find a 7.9. Also considering one of the 6.3's and moving one of the other reels. Could put the 6.3 on the MH crank rod and move the Tatula HD to a MH jig rod; old Type R to topwater... I need to crank more often so maybe having a better reel on there would encourage me. Same could be done with the SS/SV. I noticed something weird about the Tatula HD last night... When I reel (turn the handle) on my Type R the pinion rattles all around and feels rough when the spool is removed. I assume this is from single bearing pinion support. Now when you turn the handle with the spool out in the Tatula HD, it is much smoother. Not like a free floating spool (Zillion, SV105, SS/SV, etc.) but very close. It is almost like the Tatula HD has SOMETHING extra supporting the pinion, its not a bearing, but something extra is there. Actually makes a decent crank reel if you get past the weight and basic braking system.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:04 am

i'd probably go with a tat sv, considering it's very similar to the zillions that you already have, yet it's $100 cheaper. if it's a technique that's not your most used, you get a reel that has a very familiar feel in hand. i've only got 1 tat, but it's really a very smooth feeling reel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:34 am

Jason Penn wrote:i'd probably go with a tat sv, considering it's very similar to the zillions that you already have, yet it's $100 cheaper. if it's a technique that's not your most used, you get a reel that has a very familiar feel in hand. i've only got 1 tat, but it's really a very smooth feeling reel.
I considered this too, I don't used topwater a lot, so putting an 8.1 Tatula SV on the Avid X with 30lb braid could be good. I really consider another Zillion SV, but no need to spend that much for just a filler reel. Only thing I worry about for the Tatula SV is how over braked some have stated it is; like I should just get the CT Type R instead...

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:44 am

that would save even more

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:52 am

Jason Penn wrote:that would save even more
Now I think I might have actually found a 7.9 ratio SV103. Its not really super cheap like TW has it, and I have to pay in state tax bringing the total to around $250, but that was my budget. I really like the Zillion SV TW, but I understand the refinement my SV105 has, so I know the SV103 must have a similar feeling while being a larger reel. If that is the route, I will probably put the Zillion TWS 7.3 on the Avid X specifically for topwater.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:10 am

So is a SV103 7.9 worth $250 (no sale at all) or should I wait and pay like $255 for another Zillion SV TW? No big deal, but one of my 2 Zillion SV TW's will probably go back for a tighter thumb bar, although I might just leave it, very minor issue.
I could also wait for a TW discount on the SV105 (lower than $220); another reel I have and love. I am really leaning hard toward the SV103 now because everyone loves them and it might be a last shot at a new one, a revamped, technologically update classic reel.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:08 pm

For the light rigs you can try some BFS Shimano reels(Ald or Calcutta),-it's ready to go,has a shallow spools,magnets brakes...Rod should be 5'6"-6'3"...A lot of them,depend of lures and fish what you go's.
Swim's and C-rig ...maybe Calcutta Conquest(300-400,or DC) with GLX 844

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:48 pm

So I think I have found a right handed 7.9 SV103... I want a good solid reel, but could just as easily buy another finesse reel and use a Zillion SV TW on my MH rod. Just watched a test that showed the Curado K out casting the CT Type R by around 15 feet (with a 1/2oz trap), didn't really surprise me too much because of the nature of centrifugal brakes, but did get me thinking... This guy spoke of the loose thumb bar and a few other issues with the CT framed reels. From what I understand this isn't an issue with the SV103. He also stated the new Curado K was bulletproof too. If I knew I would get a good Chronarch MGL, I'd still have them in contention, but have thought way less of them lately.

I'm starting to think of selling my Tatula HD, just don't like it for the small/medium sized lures I throw with it. If it goes to a new home, I will probably for sure try a Curado K on my MH crank rod. Still debating on my 3rd all purpose/finesse reel though...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Does anyone know how much the stock SV103 spool weighs???

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:15 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Does anyone know how much the stock SV103 spool weighs???
I got 14.62g on my scale. For comparison the Zillion SV spool is 12.19g. Both with bearings on.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:09 am

Tony9 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Does anyone know how much the stock SV103 spool weighs???
I got 14.62g on my scale. For comparison the Zillion SV spool is 12.19g. Both with bearings on.
Thank you. I found today that my Zillion SV TW can top the SV105 with some light lures, it is an amazing reel. Going to be hard not to just add a third Zillion SV TW to my line up. I like the SV103 7.9 I found, but at $250, I'm having a hard time buying. I really thought about trying a different brand, but the Chronarch MGL has had some feedback that spooked me...

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:33 pm

Buy an SV103 for its quality and durability...then add the Zillion spool to further improve your casting. Done deal. You will be very happy and hard pressed to match that quality with another reel in the price point any time in the future.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Big-Bass wrote:Buy an SV103 for its quality and durability...then add the Zillion spool to further improve your casting. Done deal. You will be very happy and hard pressed to match that quality with another reel in the price point any time in the future.
Ok well if I do that:
SV105/6'9" ML, f
ZillionSVTW/7' M, f (12lb FC)
ZillionSVTW/7' M, f (10lb Hiseas FC, like 15lb other brands)
NEW Sv103/7'3" MH, f
ZillTWS9.1/7'6" MH, f
TatR8.1/7'6" MH, f
SS/SV7.1/7' M, mod (use SV103 spool in it after ordering new G1 SV for Sv103)
TatHD7.3/7'6" MH, mod
ZillTWS7.3/6'6" M, f

Should be a good lineup. If the SV103 is gone, I will just put another Zillion SV TW in its place or add the Chronarch MGL.