Curado 70xg spools

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Curado 70xg spools

Post by Drew03cmc » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Are there any readily available light spools for the 70? I've looked a little and nothing jumped out at me. Thanks!
Andy

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado 70xg spools

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Search DIY Curado 70 spool on google. I found some results for Ray's Studio and Aliexpress. They might be one in the same, I have never purchased a BFS spool... I am assuming you are hunting a BFS or just a lighter all purpose spool? I know the 70 does have a rather heavy spool for a little guy, right at 15.7grams, its pushing weight of some 200 size reel's spools.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:33 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Search DIY Curado 70 spool on google. I found some results for Ray's Studio and Aliexpress. They might be one in the same, I have never purchased a BFS spool... I am assuming you are hunting a BFS or just a lighter all purpose spool? I know the 70 does have a rather heavy spool for a little guy, right at 15.7grams, its pushing weight of some 200 size reel's spools.
Just looking for a lighter all purpose spool honestly. I throw some light stuff and want to increase my chances.
Andy

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:05 pm

Not sure I have seen one for all purpose either. I use an SV105 for my light end now, if I was to go lighter (current range 1/8-3/16) I would get the BFS spool and just use 8lb or 10lb braid. I use a ML and 8lb fluoro right now, an occasional 1/16 is okay if the plastic is heavy enough. What setup are you using and what are you throwing/wanting to throw?

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:59 am

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-Shi ... a0c7e8f0dc

this is the only one i know of. However, i throw tiny stuff with my 70's all the time and never had an issue. I say they are basically equal to my SV105 down to 1/8 oz. SV105 handles stuff that's affected by wind better though.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:59 am

I'll try the 70 as is and make changes if I need it. Thanks guys!
Andy

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:32 pm

The Engetsu PG is a 70 platform reel and has a shallower spool than the Curado/Scorpion 70 and it can be purchased individually but I'm not sure if it is lighter than the stock 70 spool. It is a sea bass variant of the platform and the shallowness of the spool is most likely there to prevent light braid dig ins. I have an Engetsu PG and use it as finesse reel on a ML Zodias but I don't have a lot of time on the water with it or a Curado 70 to compare. The Ray's DIY spools are nice but are super shallow BFS spools meant for UL work. They have released 'deep' long cast DIY spools for most of the Daiwa reels so maybe it is just a matter of time for deep DIY to come out for the 70 reels. If you wait long enough either Ray's Studio or Shimano will release a spool.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Nvm, just checked the weights. The Engetsu PG spool is actually heavier than the Scorpion 70 spool. Stick with the stock spool for now. Maybe try switching to lightweight line like braid to keep the rotating mass down.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:15 am

LowRange wrote:Nvm, just checked the weights. The Engetsu PG spool is actually heavier than the Scorpion 70 spool. Stick with the stock spool for now. Maybe try switching to lightweight line like braid to keep the rotating mass down.
How does the weight of braid per yard compare to comparable strength mono? I'm asking because I can get a lot more braid on a spool than the same strength mono, so I'm wondering if the filled spool weight might be a wash?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:35 pm

mark poulson wrote:
LowRange wrote:Nvm, just checked the weights. The Engetsu PG spool is actually heavier than the Scorpion 70 spool. Stick with the stock spool for now. Maybe try switching to lightweight line like braid to keep the rotating mass down.
How does the weight of braid per yard compare to comparable strength mono? I'm asking because I can get a lot more braid on a spool than the same strength mono, so I'm wondering if the filled spool weight might be a wash?

I've seen some weights with braid vs fluorocarbon line and there has been a significant reduction in weight with the braid. I have't done this myself but saw in another post, possibly in the DIY spool topic. Rather than line test I think it would be better to compare line diameters so that the quantity of line on the spool is roughly the same. A spool filled with #30 braid should be much lighter than the same spool filled with a #10 fluoro and to a lesser extent, mono/

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:19 pm

LowRange wrote:
mark poulson wrote:

I've seen some weights with braid vs fluorocarbon line and there has been a significant reduction in weight with the braid. I have't done this myself but saw in another post, possibly in the DIY spool topic. Rather than line test I think it would be better to compare line diameters so that the quantity of line on the spool is roughly the same. A spool filled with #30 braid should be much lighter than the same spool filled with a #10 fluoro and to a lesser extent, mono/
You're right about diameter for line to line weight comparisons.
I was just wondering if, since braid of a similar strength is so much thinner, whether a full spool of thinner braid, with much more line, would weigh as much as the same spool with the thicker mono?

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:48 pm

One cm^3 FC weights round about 1,41g and PE only 0,97g (Nylon round about 1,14g).

And mostly the weight reduction effect of a shallower spool is bigger than the effect of a lighter spool with a normal spool capacity.
More pictures: https://www.instagram.com/addicted_to_baitcaster/

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:13 pm

-Boris- wrote:One cm^3 FC weights round about 1,41g and PE only 0,97g (Nylon round about 1,14g).

And mostly the weight reduction effect of a shallower spool is bigger than the effect of a lighter spool with a normal spool capacity.
Thanks.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:41 pm

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:52 pm

my finding with the scorpion 70 that braid much more manageable on it. FC is not good in my hand. Stick with the braid and reduce weight that way is my 2 cents