Daiwa Liberto Pixy PX68 SPR

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cressy
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Liberto Pixy PX68 SPR

Post by Cressy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:28 pm

Just wanted to get some opinions on this reel, just won it off the auction site for a dang good price. I was wondering about any mods I could do to it to make it any better? Also if anyone else has one what kind of techniques are you using it for? Thank you guys!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Liberto Pixy PX68 SPR

Post by bronzefly » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:44 pm

My experience as a long time user of Daiwa reels is that they should leave centrifugal braking to Shimano, as they're really good at that overall. My experience tells me that Daiwa should stick with and continue to improve their magnetic braking system as they've done for example with the latest SV technology. The SPR was an interesting foray into centrifugal for Daiwa, but I didn't keep mine very long as I'd much prefer the SV105 in a comparable Daiwa platform.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cressy
Angler
Angler

Post by Cressy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:53 pm

bronzefly wrote:My experience as a long time user of Daiwa reels is that they should leave centrifugal braking to Shimano, as they're really good at that overall. My experience tells me that Daiwa should stick with and continue to improve their magnetic braking system as they've done for example with the latest SV technology. The SPR was an interesting foray into centrifugal for Daiwa, but I didn't keep mine very long as I'd much prefer the SV105 in a comparable Daiwa platform.
I read the review here on TT before I purchased it and was somewhat worried but I wanted to still give it a try. Hopefully I do not regret it lol I was checking out the 105 and will probably be purchasing one of those very soon as well! The new SV spools are pretty dang slick!

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:39 am

Adjust the two brakes according to what lure weight you will be using.
There should be different brake weights in the box. I have found that one lighter and one heavier weight work better for me.
Or sometimes, two heavier brakes, depending on the lure.
Be care not to bend the brake weight post when putting the side plate back on. If the brake weights are extended out when putting the side plate back on, they can catch and get bent.
If u are interested in upgrades, i would suggest a longer handle. The stock is only 80mm long. A 85mm or 90mm will made it feel better.
I pretty much leave my SPR 's alone other than the handles and adding a few more colored parts.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:14 am

Cressy wrote:
bronzefly wrote:My experience as a long time user of Daiwa reels is that they should leave centrifugal braking to Shimano, as they're really good at that overall. My experience tells me that Daiwa should stick with and continue to improve their magnetic braking system as they've done for example with the latest SV technology. The SPR was an interesting foray into centrifugal for Daiwa, but I didn't keep mine very long as I'd much prefer the SV105 in a comparable Daiwa platform.
I read the review here on TT before I purchased it and was somewhat worried but I wanted to still give it a try. Hopefully I do not regret it lol I was checking out the 105 and will probably be purchasing one of those very soon as well! The new SV spools are pretty dang slick!
I love to read reviews on TT. Still, I do not always agree with them. The Pixy SPR is one of those reels where I have been wondering what the TT reviewer was smoking :-) - it is a very nice reel IMO. Taste in reels is somewhat subjective - one guys Nurse Ratched is another guys Scarlett O'Hara (does that make sense?)- I hope you you will love yours as I have been in love with mine ;-)

Cressy
Angler
Angler

Post by Cressy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Cressy wrote:
I love to read reviews on TT. Still, I do not always agree with them. The Pixy SPR is one of those reels where I have been wondering what the TT reviewer was smoking :-) - it is a very nice reel IMO. Taste in reels is somewhat subjective - one guys Nurse Ratched is another guys Scarlett O'Hara (does that make sense?)- I hope you you will love yours as I have been in love with mine ;-)
Thanks for the response, I should have it by Thursday and I will be giving it a workout this weekend, really pumped for it!

Cressy
Angler
Angler

Post by Cressy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 pm

mrpao wrote:Adjust the two brakes according to what lure weight you will be using.
There should be different brake weights in the box. I have found that one lighter and one heavier weight work better for me.
Or sometimes, two heavier brakes, depending on the lure.
Be care not to bend the brake weight post when putting the side plate back on. If the brake weights are extended out when putting the side plate back on, they can catch and get bent.
If u are interested in upgrades, i would suggest a longer handle. The stock is only 80mm long. A 85mm or 90mm will made it feel better.
I pretty much leave my SPR 's alone other than the handles and adding a few more colored parts.
Appreciate your response, I'm def going to upgrade the handle, which one would you recommend?

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Pretty neat looking reel out of the box. I added worm bearing, handle bearings, and upgraded spool bearing. Put on Eiger Northwall and cast light cranking. Enjoy this combo a lot.

Cressy
Angler
Angler

Post by Cressy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:13 pm

BigG wrote:Pretty neat looking reel out of the box. I added worm bearing, handle bearings, and upgraded spool bearing. Put on Eiger Northwall and cast light cranking. Enjoy this combo a lot.
Appreciate the response! I have a rod that I'm going to be putting it on for now, but I'm going to be in the market for a finesse rod to put it on now. I bet that Northwall/Pixy setup is sweeeet!

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Mods: Carbontex drag.
Uses: Small crankbaits (3/16 oz or so) and small inline spinners. Trout and perch fishing.