SS SV or Alpha SV?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

SS SV or Alpha SV?

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:09 am

What reel would you choose for a semi-finesse / all around reel between the SS SV or Alpha SV? The SS SV with added handle bearings and the Alpha SV seem to be the same price and both have SV spools. Which is the higher quality reel? Mostly throwing 3/16 to 3/8 oz baits.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SS SV or Alpha SV?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:30 am

I prefer the Alphas due to the braking profile and ergonomics.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:31 am

Alpha SV or SV105 would be my pick. I own both, the SS/SV can cast light lures well too, just over braked. It would be choked a tad casting over 1/4oz. I think the Alphas SV platform has plenty capacity too. You might get spooked casting heavier baits, but I promise there is more on the spool than it seems, as long as you use lighter lines. I use 8lb or 10lb fluoro and have never had an issue casting long distance, even with a 3/8 dropshot weight.

In defense of the SS/SV though, with a Zillion SV G1 spool it becomes another animal. Basically the 95% the performance of a Zillion SV TW but with a Steez platform by my testing. So if you want to customize and alter a bit, the SS/SV isn't so bad. I found my SS/SV for around $170 new during a TW Christmas sale and used a 10% off gift card. For that price I love mine.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:38 pm

There is nothing like the Alphas profile!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Alphas SV - It feels solid and pleases right out of the box.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Alphas rock :D

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Love my SV105 (USDM Alphas). I've not heard many good things about the SS SV, frame flexes and feels hollow are the most common complaints.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:00 pm

Alphas SV. It's an Alphas and it's SV and those are two really good things individually and great together. The SS SV is a cool reel built on a good platform and there are a ton of parts for it to take the reel any direction you want but in stock form it's not as good as the Alphas SV. The drag is very weak, the spool is overbraked for general use and the reel is a little hollow sounding thanks to its magnesium and carbon infused plastic construction. Don't count out the SV103 or Tatula SV either.