Tat. Type R CT Vs Zillion TWS SV

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tat. Type R CT Vs Zillion TWS SV

Post by Kurt L » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:54 pm

How much difference is there in refinement between the two? I bought a Tat. type R CT and have had it on the water a few weeks now and for the money I'm impressed! The type R has been a tank I've put a lot of Salmon on the bank and it's still smooth as new, my Mets. gears getting rough with little use and costing close to $60.00 has me looking for other options. Is the Zillion TWS SV noticeably more refined than the Type R? and how would it compare to Mets?

I have been a Shimano guy for 30 years now but now I'm looking for other options.

Thanks, Kurt

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tat. Type R CT Vs Zillion TWS SV

Post by wandyhee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:58 pm

1 owned both and I would say Zillion sv tw are much better reel with free floating spool, while tatula ct type R started to sound noisy while retrieving. That might something to do with accidentally rotating the handle without spool on my last routine service (look at manual do & don't).

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:35 am

As previously stated, the Zillion SV TW is going to have extra bearing support on the pinion which translates to a smoother retrieve and more solid feel. Both reels are on the same frame, the Zillion SV has a slightly more rigid Zaion side plate (handle) than the Tatula CT-R and SV's more basic composite. I honestly hate to say it because I love my 2 Zillion SV TW's, but they aren't much more refined than a Tatula when it comes to external features. The thumb bar gets me a little angry on one of my Zillions, it wiggles about a millimeter and a half or so, I know its minor, but for $300 it should feel more like my SV105. On the contrary though, the other Zillion SV TW's thumb bar is rock solid. The cast control clicks too on the Zillion SV so that is nice, but the main feature you will see improvement with is lightweight casting ability. The Zillion SV spool is around 11 grams with a bearing and combined with a smaller magnetic inductor this reel will absolutely bomb lures of any sizes. The Tatula CT-R spool is a tad of 15 grams so it isn't bad, but it takes one hell of a reel to match the Zillion SV's ease of use and distance with lighter lures. Mine out cast my friend's Tatula CT-R's with heavier lures too, not by a ton, but still noticeably further (3/8 and above).

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks, I was wondering if the Zillion was any smoother? My Type R is not bad but for the extra cash I wanted to know if the cranking was any better since I spend a lot of time throwing 3/16 -3/8oz lures on 8-10lb line for Silvers and sometimes the take is only a twitch in the line if I'm feeling the gears I'm not feeling the take as good, and the improvement in casting is just another bonus as the Type R is right on par with my Metaniums!
My Met's. require a lot of service to keep running smooth and it's a pain in the you know what when the fish are in ](*,)
so I'm looking for options, like the 9.1 JDM TW SV Zillion.

Thanks, Kurt

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:07 pm

They're smoother than the CT series, including the Tatula SV. The extra bearing on the pinion helps to me and most free floating spool reel feel just a bit smoother than their full shaft relatives...

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:17 pm

The Tat SV is worth the price , I paid $117 tyd the other day , brand new. Wish I could find the Zillion tws for 2 bills.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:26 pm

johnD wrote:The Tat SV is worth the price , I paid $117 tyd the other day , brand new. Wish I could find the Zillion tws for 2 bills.
That is an amazing price for that reel. I would say it's worth $170 for purpose and what it could do for me. The Zillion SV I feel is worth around $230 if I'm making up numbers. The Zillion SV TW was randomly $229 online but after shipping and tax was like $270. Was a major tease. I paid right around $250 each for mine and am very satisfied. Next week if there is a single SV103 left for around $250, I'm gonna pick it up...