Any info on abu Garcia Revo alx?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Any info on abu Garcia Revo alx?

Post by stevenhatchy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:43 am

I love my ALX and have used it on the inshore flats and farm ponds and haven't had a problem. Thrown everything from 1/8 ounce Texas rigs to 1 ounce glide baits.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:44 pm

stevenhatchy wrote:I love my ALX and have used it on the inshore flats and farm ponds and haven't had a problem. Thrown everything from 1/8 ounce Texas rigs to 1 ounce glide baits.
Handled an ALX again today at Academy... They feel pretty good. I REALLY REALLY wish Abu would have used that aluminum frame with the newest Gen 4 reels coming. The Revo ALX profile with a more advanced braking system could have possibly brought old Abu fans back from the brink of switching. The ALX has an incredibly light spool, feels pretty smooth (seemed to be a level between a nice Lew's and a Chronarch MGL), with the spool out the pinion spins smooth (I know its not dual supported, confirmed in another thread), the palming is perfect, has fair line capacity still, and along with a good IPT and a few other features it could have been one HELL of a reel, if not for those Doyo style linear mag brakes. Either way I hope the Gen 4 Revo reels turn out to be great, the locking IVCB should be cool, just wish they had an extra main shaft and pinion bearing, Shimano and Daiwa are starting to incorporate one or both on their flagships and it seems that will become an expected feature of mid range price points.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:13 am

I wouldn't let the braking scare you off of these reels. I got to fish the reel this weekend and had no problems at all...other than getting rained on!

Btw, where are you located?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:53 pm

You may be able to convert the reel to different braking system. One of perks, perhaps the only, to OEM reels are they are often different braking systems used in a common platform alowing parts to be swaped. I'm converting a gen 3 IB7 to externally adjustable centrifugal IVCB from Doyo dual brake. I bought the spool from Abu sold as a Deez kit and am sourcing the centrifugal race from another gen 3 reel with factory IVCB. If an IVCB reel on this current platform is released then it should be possible to buy the spool and race to convert an ALX.

I'm waiting for Studio of MoMo spools to come out for the gen 4 reels. I actually like the linear mag brake with UL BFS spools. I think a Revo X is a sharp looking reel and with BFS spool would make a nice replacement for my Black Max 3 BFS.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:05 am

LowRange wrote:You may be able to convert the reel to different braking system. One of perks, perhaps the only, to OEM reels are they are often different braking systems used in a common platform alowing parts to be swaped. I'm converting a gen 3 IB7 to externally adjustable centrifugal IVCB from Doyo dual brake. I bought the spool from Abu sold as a Deez kit and am sourcing the centrifugal race from another gen 3 reel with factory IVCB. If an IVCB reel on this current platform is released then it should be possible to buy the spool and race to convert an ALX.

I'm waiting for Studio of MoMo spools to come out for the gen 4 reels. I actually like the linear mag brake with UL BFS spools. I think a Revo X is a sharp looking reel and with BFS spool would make a nice replacement for my Black Max 3 BFS.
That is what keeps bothering me, I think the new Revo X is some different new Doyo frame. I wish they would have stuck with that tiny Alx/Mgx2 frame... I THINK the ones released at ICAST 2017 are a little bigger than the ALX frame, wonder how the Premier would hold to the Chronarch/Zillion???

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 am

Im pretty sure all the Gen4 Abus utilize the same geometry. And they all have an aluminum frame.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:54 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Im pretty sure all the Gen4 Abus utilize the same geometry. And they all have an aluminum frame.
I think the ALX, MGX2, and MGXtreme2 share that tiny little bitty frame with the ALX's being aluminum construction. I think the new Gen 4 S, SX, STX, Premier, Winch, Inshore, and cheaper Revo X share a newer frame that is bigger than that of the aforementioned (in the ALX). Now I haven't seen them, but I did call one time and got someone who seemed to know their stuff, he said the ALX frame is used in a lot of the new JDM Abu's you see on youtube, but the Gen 4 USDM models I mentioned are something different and new.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:41 am

I'm just guessing, but I would think the gen4 uses basically the same frame as the new lews & bps reels. I have the carbonlite 2.0 on my plastics rod and the alx on my jig rod, and while there is a difference in size it's not a lot. I do prefer the Abu, as it has a flat front piece on top of the reel which feels better on my thumb while holding it.

One thing I did yesterday was swap out the handle for a little longer 1. I just put the 1 off of the other carbonlite 2.0 I was using on to the alx.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:49 pm

Jason Penn wrote:I'm just guessing, but I would think the gen4 uses basically the same frame as the new lews & bps reels. I have the carbonlite 2.0 on my plastics rod and the alx on my jig rod, and while there is a difference in size it's not a lot. I do prefer the Abu, as it has a flat front piece on top of the reel which feels better on my thumb while holding it.

One thing I did yesterday was swap out the handle for a little longer 1. I just put the 1 off of the other carbonlite 2.0 I was using on to the alx.
Once again today was at Academy Sports in Jonesboro (AR) and the ALX is a really good feeling reel. I will eventually move my Zillion TWS to a MH rod and get something smaller for finesse on my 6'6" Medium Avid X... These Revo's are catching my eye... I know they don't have dual pinion support, but today I found out that the ALX along with a few 13 fishing reels and the older gen 3 Revo's all spin freely with the spool removed, so there is some fairly solid support in there. That might not mean a ton, just a guess of mine. My Tatula Type R cannot and is not supposed to be spun w/ out handle because it rattles and can damage the pinion, but once the spool is in, that reel is a tank with the aluminum sideplate.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:08 am

Doesn't sound like we're too far from each other. You ever fish Frierson? I've never fished there, but I used to pass by there a lot when I was an appraiser.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:09 pm

No I fish the White River close to Batesville AR. Some of the tightest (hard) finesse fishing ever, overrun with aggressive little smallmouth, but there are some MONSTERS in there. Also monster stripers below dams, really good fishing, just takes a while to figure it out. Problem with our system is ALL species and sizes love small lures, and you have to weed through days if not months of dinks to find the right spots and techniques. It isn't permanently that way, sometimes all fish go for bigger lures, but 80% of our personal bests and 5+lbers have come on ML rods with finesse lures, that's why I post with such emphasis on light lure casting bait casters and other finesse relatives.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:27 am

I've fished the southern portion of table rock into the kings river. I have fond memories. Nice area.

EDIT: wrong river. Kings, not white.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:13 am

DirtyD64 wrote:No I fish the White River close to Batesville AR. Some of the tightest (hard) finesse fishing ever, overrun with aggressive little smallmouth, but there are some MONSTERS in there. Also monster stripers below dams, really good fishing, just takes a while to figure it out. Problem with our system is ALL species and sizes love small lures, and you have to weed through days if not months of dinks to find the right spots and techniques. It isn't permanently that way, sometimes all fish go for bigger lures, but 80% of our personal bests and 5+lbers have come on ML rods with finesse lures, that's why I post with such emphasis on light lure casting bait casters and other finesse relatives.
It's amazing how different everything is depending on which side of Jonesboro you are on. It's all mudholes on the east side.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Jason Penn wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:No I fish the White River close to Batesville AR. Some of the tightest (hard) finesse fishing ever, overrun with aggressive little smallmouth, but there are some MONSTERS in there. Also monster stripers below dams, really good fishing, just takes a while to figure it out. Problem with our system is ALL species and sizes love small lures, and you have to weed through days if not months of dinks to find the right spots and techniques. It isn't permanently that way, sometimes all fish go for bigger lures, but 80% of our personal bests and 5+lbers have come on ML rods with finesse lures, that's why I post with such emphasis on light lure casting bait casters and other finesse relatives.
It's amazing how different everything is depending on which side of Jonesboro you are on. It's all mudholes on the east side.
About an hour away max (Batesville) our river is normally clear, VERY swift, and colder than hell. I dove in for a rod early November one time and honestly didn't think I was gonna be able to swim back up.
Either way, I don't get to fish the lakes much, they kinda vary. Greers Ferry is nicknamed the Dead Sea, a biologist I know said they had a flood (around 10 years ago) that allowed hundreds of thousands of bass fry to hide and survive till they got big and now its overpopulated with tons of 12 inch largemouth. Norfork is a good lake, Dardenelle is good, but I don't have a vehicle to pull that far or a good enough boat. Once I get a real career going I will learn the lakes better.