Any info on abu Garcia Revo alx?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any info on abu Garcia Revo alx?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:19 pm

mark poulson wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
bassbassontherange wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Ish87 wrote:
I had no problems launching anything with that reel. I did have to turn the brakes up to about 3/4, but it didnt hinder the casting ability at all. That sucker was a little beast.

As a matter of fact, Im awaiting the release of the Lews Super Duty LFS reel. If that thing is anything like the ALX was, Im gonna be really pleased.
I'm really confused by your opinion of some reels. You're on record saying all OEM reels are "crap", but you're excited about Lew's and Abu? Don't get me wrong, I like some of both their offerings, but I'm just wondering what changed since last time you belittled them.

For the record, I've owned an ALX and sold it. I much prefer an MGX or Xtreme for the reasons already mentioned. The previous generation MGX can often be found used like new under $160 or so. That's a steal. One of only four non Shimano or Daiwa reels I've really liked.
The newer generation OEMs seem to be built better than the previous ones. The Gen 4 Abus, and the new LFS models from Lews are internally put together better. Yes, they are all the same crap from all the companies that buy from OEM suppliers. Then again, my opinion on the new Shimano reels is they are built no better than the OEMs. But, that's my opinion, as I see more and more of these reels come across my bench. I'm not crazy about the TWS reels from Daiwa, so what are my options? I like a small profile reel, and Lews LFS seems to have that profile met. At least in those reels the worm shaft and pawl are metal and dual bearing supported. So do I buy "crap" or "crap"? If I'm looking for a new reel? Options, options... For my money, and performance I can get out of the reel, I opted to buy a Lews Tournament MB, and so far it's not too bad. Time will tell of course, but I'm gonna give the new designs a shot, as they fit the profile of the 50E reels very closely.

It's funny, a friend of mine was telling me back a while about reel parts. Hes a engineer, and I was denying what he was telling me for a good time now. And as things were coming out to the market, and I seen with my own eyes, all's I could say was "he was right". Now I have a totally new outlook on some things with reels, and where and how they are made. It's just mind boggling.
Share, please.
I would love to. You see, the last time I shared my findings I got nothing but criticism. So, that being said, yall can do your own research as did I. And if you wanna call my BS, much like I did his, then so be it. But Im done sharing too much info on this site.
<")))><{

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:17 am

as far as light lures goes, i have a Curado 70 and a SV105 both on L action rods and both work great. I do think the 70 can cast farther, but needs more thumb. The SV105 is smoother and i cast it with 1/8 oz baits with no thumb at all, it's basically fool proof. However, if i get the 70 dialed in just right, it's basically fool proof too

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:07 am

LgMouthGambler wrote: It's funny, a friend of mine was telling me back a while about reel parts. Hes a engineer, and I was denying what he was telling me for a good time now. And as things were coming out to the market, and I seen with my own eyes, all's I could say was "he was right". Now I have a totally new outlook on some things with reels, and where and how they are made. It's just mind boggling.
This was the part I was hoping you would share.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:42 am

mark poulson wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote: It's funny, a friend of mine was telling me back a while about reel parts. Hes a engineer, and I was denying what he was telling me for a good time now. And as things were coming out to the market, and I seen with my own eyes, all's I could say was "he was right". Now I have a totally new outlook on some things with reels, and where and how they are made. It's just mind boggling.
Thats what I was talking about. I did the hard research to prove to myself that I was right, and he was wrong. It turned out, that he was right. Damn near all reel parts are made in the same places. Do the research. Youll be quite surprised. Gave me a whole new outlook.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:21 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Thats what I was talking about. I did the hard research to prove to myself that I was right, and he was wrong. It turned out, that he was right. Damn near all reel parts are made in the same places. Do the research. Youll be quite surprised. Gave me a whole new outlook.
Thanks. It makes sense. Having the machinery and facilities to manufacture enough reel parts to make it economical must be expensive, so farming it out, instead of manufacturing in-house, makes sense if you are a reel "maker". I was just hoping you'd discuss how many such operations there were, and how many of the major reel brands use them.

Ish87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ish87 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:50 pm

nikbrewer wrote:as far as light lures goes, i have a Curado 70 and a SV105 both on L action rods and both work great. I do think the 70 can cast farther, but needs more thumb. The SV105 is smoother and i cast it with 1/8 oz baits with no thumb at all, it's basically fool proof. However, if i get the 70 dialed in just right, it's basically fool proof too
I have heard great things about the curado 70 and it has me really interested. Do you think that the curado 70 performs has good as an aldebaran? My wife just raised my budget to 400 dollars so I was thinking if it be worth buying the aldebaran for over 400 bucks or if I can save some money and just buy the curado 70.

greyhound
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by greyhound » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:40 am

Honestly? Go get some balls or a new wife! ;)

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:05 am

Ish87 wrote:
nikbrewer wrote:as far as light lures goes, i have a Curado 70 and a SV105 both on L action rods and both work great. I do think the 70 can cast farther, but needs more thumb. The SV105 is smoother and i cast it with 1/8 oz baits with no thumb at all, it's basically fool proof. However, if i get the 70 dialed in just right, it's basically fool proof too
I have heard great things about the curado 70 and it has me really interested. Do you think that the curado 70 performs has good as an aldebaran? My wife just raised my budget to 400 dollars so I was thinking if it be worth buying the aldebaran for over 400 bucks or if I can save some money and just buy the curado 70.

Buy 2 curado 70's

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:59 am

greyhound wrote:Honestly? Go get some balls or a new wife! ;)
Listen to your wife, and she'll take care of you. That's what partners do.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:38 am

I've got 1 of these coming in this week. I ended up needing a lighter reel for a rod that just feels a little heavy with a tat SV on it.

I've had no problems with all of the OEM reels I've got that I assume are doyo. That includes a gen 1 revo premier, gold carbonlite, 3 of the pro qualifier tournaments, and 2 of the new carbonlites.

bassbassontherange
Angler
Angler

Post by bassbassontherange » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:28 am

bassbassontherange
Angler
Angler

Post by bassbassontherange » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:29 am

bassbassontherange wrote:
... Such thoughtful and insightful criticism.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm guessing you're either young, not married, or said something like this and are going through a divorce.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:15 am

I got the alx in yesterday and really like it! I haven't fished with it yet but pitched around with it enough to get it dialed in. I will probably replace 1 more reel with another alx.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:56 am

Jason Penn wrote:I got the alx in yesterday and really like it! I haven't fished with it yet but pitched around with it enough to get it dialed in. I will probably replace 1 more reel with another alx.
Nice to see a fellow Arkansan who is an Abu fan, I am all Daiwa/Shimano baitcast for now, but want to try a new Abu. Only thing that bothers me is that the new Premier and STX (all Gen 4's) didn't utilize the tiny frame of the ALX/MGX2. I am really curious to see how the Gen 4's go over and what kind of reviews they get.