Zillion HD - 15.4lb Drag - True or False?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Kharn
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Zillion HD - 15.4lb Drag - True or False?

Post by Kharn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:28 am

Hello, first post and its mostly why I'm here since I can't find detailed answers and am/was interested in purchasing the reel.

I will quote this from a knowledgeable enthusiast fisherman with many years experience whom I believe also runs a fishing store.

"Just something I shared with a Daiwa Enthusiast Group. Daiwa is particularly bad for doing this. They create multiple models off one platform with little to no difference to the original apart from a paint job and handle/knobs and charge more for it. This reel is marketed as HD or heavy duty when in fact mechanically there is no difference to the base model and nothing that makes it stronger.
What makes a Zillion HD a Heavy Duty reel?
Absolutely nothing. Not a difference mechanically to any other zillion TWS. Same small antireverse bearing. No back up antireverse. Same gears. Same Drag . It has a magseal bearing similar to the jdm zillion 1516 tws. The only thing that is heavy duty about it is the 100mm handle and medium size eva knobs.
Not trying to stir the pot. But when people ask for which reel is better remember there is probably no difference apart from plastic bushes instead of bearings and the colour scheme and handle.
For a reel to be considered heavy duty it should at least have an oversize antireverse bearing or a back up dog or both."

He also provides photos of the reels insides detailing how its drag is no different to other Zillions.
Any thoughts on this I have already contacted Diawa to hear about their thoughts.

Cheers

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion HD - 15.4lb Drag - True or False?

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Pretty sure the Tackle Tour test of the Zillion TWS yielded like 18lbs. So the drag is under rated from the factory us underrated. I am a huge Daiwa fan but totally understand. I was sick when I bought a Tatula HD to realize I should have just got another type R. I was new to fishung and didn't realize the HD had linear magnetic brakes. Also it was pretty much identical to the original Tatula, so all I gained was line capacity, which I later learned I didn't need.

As far as the Zillion TWS goes, they are very tough reels, but for $350 they should have a few extras. I love my Zillion TWS reels, only paid full on one if them, they got as low as $135 or something. I don't see the Zillion HD ever discounted though, so that furthers your point a bit, maybe it's a sturdy enough reel already though?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Line capacity and longer handles are all that makes them HD. It's delusional to think that it would be a whole different reel internally, a moment's research would demonstrate the differences.

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:45 pm

The spool and gearing is made from different metal. It also can be used in saltwater, so different spool bearings too probably.

Kharn
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Kharn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:45 pm

But why do they market the statistics deliberately as Higher Drag when it isn't?

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Im sure there is some difference if they say its got 2.2 more pounds of drag. The size of the drag disc or thickness, or something. Maybe comparing the diagrams of both reels will give you an answer.