Shimano Aldebaran 16' bfs xg strange noise.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Vitee
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Shimano Aldebaran 16' bfs xg strange noise.

Post by Vitee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:11 am

Hi,
I hope somebody can help me.
I bought a shimano 16 aldebaran bfs xg and it's amazing! BUT a strange noise came up at one day after 1-2 months of usage. Mostly I cast with 5-6 gr. This noise can be audible when I cast with little weights of lure (3 gr) and if I tighten up the spool tension knob. If i loosen the spoool tension knob the noise disappear. But you can see below the video that this noise can be heared too when i just rolling it in my hand.
I took it to a man who disassembled, cleaned, oiled, greased the reel to cease the noise. Unfortunately that did not solve the problem.
I found a guy who has the same reel in my city. We changed the side plate and the spool from his reel to mine. We thought that either of the spool ball bearings can cause the problem. But we forgot this idea because his spool and side plate do the same noise in my reel.
When I cast with lure and the spool is spinning in the fastest speed it is very loud and it's like a DC reel. When it's slowing down the noise disappeare.
I uploaded a video, please watch it and help me . I did not use it for months because i do not dare to use it.
Sorry for my bad english.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsOsSo6DSPk

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Aldebaran 16' bfs xg strange noise.

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:49 am

Is it possible the little cast control cap is dry and therefore griding when tightening down? I know you said you changed sideplates, so I thought of the only mechanics that might be the same.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:16 pm

sounds like bearing noise to me. Time for new ones. The hedgehog micro air bearings are pretty quiet and BFS friendly.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Pop out the spool
remove spool tensioner cap.

Clean inside the pinion where the spool shaft traverses.
Clean pinion where the spool pin mates

Clean perimeter of spool and frame.

Purge bearings.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:14 pm

sounds like bearings need a flush

Blauwe Lori
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blauwe Lori » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:24 am

Bearings With reel X
Or Tsi 301 Will solve the problem I think