Issue with 2016 Antares DC - What should I do?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Issue with 2016 Antares DC - What should I do?

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi,

during the last couple of fishing trips a issue with my Antares becomes more obvious. I am not sure how to best describe it (English is not my native language), so here is my best attempt.

After a cast when I am engaging the handle to retrieve the line, the 'bail' snaps in to prevent the spool from rotating back. Now the handle and the spool should not be able to be turned back.

Though this is happening with my reel. Every now and then I can rotate the handle back a bit or almost a quarter rotation.

Not sure what to do...

My last option would it be to send the reel to JapanLureShope where I bought the reel.

Anyone experienced this before or with any other reel.

Thanks for your input!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Issue with 2016 Antares DC - What should I do?

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Also the issue is not always reproducible. Something that I THINK that I noticed:

* happens when there is some pressure on the line (noticed while using Jigs)
* happens when the weather is colder (though temps where in the 60s, my theory was that some oil/grease got stuck... )

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Here is the video that I took yesterday: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... hjeE81MXl3

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:47 pm

What should I do?
First and easiest thing to do- I would disassemble the reel, cleaned it and reassemble with a different grease.

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:25 pm

Had that happen to a spinning reel - anti-reverse bearing had too much (and possibly too thick) grease.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:33 pm

There are 2 reasons this could be happening. First,the Anti Reverse Bearing has been contaminated with grease, causing the needle bearings to slip. Second, the Anti Reverse Bearing is damaged and needs replacing.

Check this bearing. Sure it is the cause.

Cheers.

Terry.

slayer_85
Angler
Angler

Post by slayer_85 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:20 am

Zimbass wrote:There are 2 reasons this could be happening. First,the Anti Reverse Bearing has been contaminated with grease, causing the needle bearings to slip. Second, the Anti Reverse Bearing is damaged and needs replacing.

Cheers.

Terry.
Quote.

It's for sure the anti reverse bearing located on the handle axis, you have to check it and if it's not visibly damaged, clean it and oil it just a few with a specific one way lube.
If you purchased the reel in your country and so it's covered by warranty, maybe you can contact Shimano customer service first and they should repair it. Usually, that kind of problem depends on an excessive quantity of grease on the bearing, but not always, in these second case you should buy a new bearing and it's not too cheap, so I first would try with warranty if possible.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:58 pm

slayer_85 wrote:
Zimbass wrote:There are 2 reasons this could be happening. First,the Anti Reverse Bearing has been contaminated with grease, causing the needle bearings to slip. Second, the Anti Reverse Bearing is damaged and needs replacing.

Cheers.

Terry.
Quote.

It's for sure the anti reverse bearing located on the handle axis, you have to check it and if it's not visibly damaged, clean it and oil it just a few with a specific one way lube.
If you purchased the reel in your country and so it's covered by warranty, maybe you can contact Shimano customer service first and they should repair it. Usually, that kind of problem depends on an excessive quantity of grease on the bearing, but not always, in these second case you should buy a new bearing and it's not too cheap, so I first would try with warranty if possible.

Cheers.

Terry.
surge wrote:Had that happen to a spinning reel - anti-reverse bearing had too much (and possibly too thick) grease.
Cracker wrote:
What should I do?
First and easiest thing to do- I would disassemble the reel, cleaned it and reassemble with a different grease.

Thanks all.

Are there instructions on how to disassemble a Antares somewhere? I have never disassembled a reel to that level..

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:55 pm

It is also weird, since i have never particularly lubed this part or disassembled the reel...

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Its pretty simple, if you have never done it before, take your phone and take pictures while disassembling, it'll help you for the reassembly. If its a new reel, the anti reverse bearing is probably fine, all you'll need to do is wash it in alcohol or an ultrasonic cleaner. After cleaning, do not put any low viscosity oil, that will mess everything up. Medium or High viscosity oil or light grease is what works best. I personally use some light grease from Shimano, and it works flawlessly.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:25 am

Most important thing to remember when taking apart reels like this.

Pay attention to what screw went where.

Last thing you want to do is put a force an incorrect screw. To long and it will bulge the other side. Wrong thread pattern or diameter....could chowder the threads.

Clean out the ar clutch and sleeve. SHould fix it provided it's not a defect.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:41 pm

Hope this works for you as a reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6TNQA31y5M

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:17 am

y2k88 wrote:Hope this works for you as a reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6TNQA31y5M

That is great! Thanks. Sent the reel back to Japan Lure SHop. ButI think the video is def. helpful for future cleaning sessions! ;)