Sadly done with Shimano Baitcasters

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Sadly done with Shimano Baitcasters

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:15 pm

As a kid all the way through college all I used was Shimano reels. Then I only used spinning tackle and the $40 to $60 shimanos basically lasted years and years without issue and any time I tried another brand it would break in a season. But after college when I got into baitcasting gear I got hooked on Daiwa / Megabass reels. I wanted to like Shimano, I got a 2012 Antares, Antares DC, and most recently a Conquest 101 HG as I love round reels. I love how solid, smooth, and well machined they are and want to love them. But for me I just get better casting performance from Daiwa / Megabass mag breaking reels with either ZPI or SV spools as they have a phenomenal balance of distance and control and can quickly be adjusted externally to turn up to skip a dock then right back down. I want to love Shimano, especially the Conquest HG as it is a beautifully machined reel but just don't get as good personal casting results. I still absolutely love my old Twinpower MG 1000 spinning reel for ultra light fishing but sadly must say goodbye to Shimano bait cast reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Sadly done with Shimano Baitcasters

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:48 pm

I to like the braking of the Daiwa reels for their control but you can always make room for a Shimano on crankbait stick or other distance favored rig. Not everything needs to skipped to a target.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:58 pm

Interesting but I guess that is why we all have our likes and dislikes. Personally I can outdistance about any of my Daiwa reels with a Exscence DC or Chronarch D. Shimano and Daiwa are 1A and 1B in my book and I have a nice collection of both with things I appreciate about each. Rarely will I attempt to skip with a baitcaster even though I have 3 SV reels so it isn't an attribute I put much emphasis on.

Among casting reels I know some of the Calais/Antares and Calais/Antares DC reels using the 4x8 system were among some of the best distance casters out there so it is somewhat shocking that your Daiwa reels will cast further :-k

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:Interesting but I guess that is why we all have our likes and dislikes. Personally I can outdistance about any of my Daiwa reels with a Exscence DC or Chronarch D. Shimano and Daiwa are 1A and 1B in my book and I have a nice collection of both with things I appreciate about each. Rarely will I attempt to skip with a baitcaster even though I have 3 SV reels so it isn't an attribute I put much emphasis on.

Among casting reels I know some of the Calais/Antares and Calais/Antares DC reels using the 4x8 system were among some of the best distance casters out there so it is somewhat shocking that your Daiwa reels will cast further :-k
I agree with this. I am truly split down the middle between Daiwa and Shimano and I think my arsenal is exactly so as well. But I don't think I've ever seen a reel that can outcast my Exsence DC with YT Fusion bearings. It's unreal how far that thing casts.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 pm

First off you should have bought a few Curado 200e7's instead of the antares. If you can't skip a jig under a dock with that reel it's total operator error. I do really like daiwa, but can deff bomb lures farther on my shimanos. Don't know much on the conquest other than they're highly regarded by many here.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:13 pm

I can spool my 101hg with 1/2 oz spinnerbaits and 16lb flouro or 50lb braid. Casting side by side steez tws I don’t notice any loss in distance at all.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:04 am

I agree there is no loss in distance with the SVS or DC breaking systems, I probably can cast longer with the Shimanos I just have more accuracy with the Daiwa type mag breaking. Shimano breaking is not in any way inferior it just feels different and my accuracy is not quite as dialed in with them, with the Dawa / Megabass breaking and the SV or ZPI spools I feel like I can guide my baits through the air to the target and lose some of that when I switch to Shimano. Probably because I learned to use baitcasters with Daiwa reels. Its just a personal thing and makes me a bit sad as the top end Shimanos are fantastic reels, if you were used to their breaking you might prefer it. I still highly suggest them to guys on the same level as Daiwa as Shimano does make excellent reels.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:28 am

I absolutely love my Conquest 101HG..easily one of my favorite reels. There's no doubting that both Shimano and Daiwa make the best reels. I actually love both braking systems, but do have more Daiwas. I'm sorry you feel you need to let go of Shimano for good. I don't think I could...

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:02 am

There are ups and downs to both. For me, I cant seem to enjoy the new Shimanos, and hate the build quality. I love the VBS system and the simple and solid platforms that came along with that. As far as Daiwas, they are great for accurate and easy casting abilities with the Magforce system and SV spools.
<")))><{

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:52 am

Interesting topic.

For me, it's the opposite. Outside of the Megabass tuned Daiwa reels, I prefer Shimano by a wide margin. I got rid of the last Steez reels that I had--the Metaniums have been much better reels for me.

Ultimately, it's fishing and should be fun--so use what you like.

ctm23
Angler
Angler

Post by ctm23 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:39 pm

Mixed on this too. I have both Shimano & Daiwa spinning & baitcasters. Overall I like the shimano (Mg 2500 CI4 2500 sleek) spinning reels over Daiwa (Certate 2500 tank). Baitcasters- mostly shimano (Mg 50, E7, Chronarch 50) vs Diawa (Zillion TWS & SV 103). I think Daiwa has stepped up the game with the Sv103. Zillion TWS not so much. JMHO

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Yea I didn't mean at all for it to be a Daiwa Vs Shimano post, both make lots of excellent reels I highly recommend. Both have fantastic breaking systems, the DC breaking system can launch a bait like no other with its sweet wine. Its just of the equally good breaking systems the Daiwa mag breaking especially combined with an SV or ZPI spool is more intuitive to me personally and it sadly keeps me from using some fine Shimano reels. I do still use and love Shimano spinning reels as there is no breaking system to worry about in a spinning reel!

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:52 am

I am split between the two depending on application. The Daiwas work better for me with lighter lures at lower price points.
I really like the mag braking system with the SV spool reels.

I don't even think about it backlashing, even with my TATULA ct.
I think the TATULA ct is really good for the under hundred dollar street price. Yeah, I've got zillions and all that but for under a hundred bucks (street pice), the TATULA ct is tough on the competition.

I just purchased a Curado 200k and there's a lot about it that I like but I think I still prefer the Daiwa brakes. I can cast blindfolded with my Daiwas. When the wind comes up, I turn the knob two clicks up, when the wind dies, two clicks back down ; without even looking. I've got big hands and the Curado adjustment knob is small and on the bottom corner so I have to turn it over.

mysteryang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mysteryang » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:30 pm

cortman wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:Interesting but I guess that is why we all have our likes and dislikes. Personally I can outdistance about any of my Daiwa reels with a Exscence DC or Chronarch D. Shimano and Daiwa are 1A and 1B in my book and I have a nice collection of both with things I appreciate about each. Rarely will I attempt to skip with a baitcaster even though I have 3 SV reels so it isn't an attribute I put much emphasis on.

I agree with this. I am truly split down the middle between Daiwa and Shimano and I think my arsenal is exactly so as well. But I don't think I've ever seen a reel that can outcast my Exsence DC with YT Fusion bearings. It's unreal how far that thing casts.
I have a Exsence DC also. I've been thinking about upgrading the bearings but my concerned is if there is really any true gain from stock? Please let me know. Thank you!

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:28 pm

mysteryang wrote:
cortman wrote:

I have a Exsence DC also. I've been thinking about upgrading the bearings but my concerned is if there is really any true gain from stock? Please let me know. Thank you!
My Exsence came with the aftermarket bearings, so I don't even know what one is like stock. I think the best aftermarket bearings out there that are readily available are ZPI and Hedgehog Air HD. I would definitely give them a try.