Crankbait reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Crankbait reel

Post by smallies » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Looking for a reel to throw crankbaits like the KVD 1.5, DT6-10, 3XD and other similar baits. Looking at either the Shimano Metanium MGL or the Daiwa Zillion SV TW. With some of those being a little lighter, which reel do you think would handle them better? I already have a few Metaniums and love them, but was thinking maybe the Zillion with the SV spool might be better for some of the lighter ones.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Crankbait reel

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:25 pm

Zillion SV TW will be very forgiving and good for the technique (brass gears, stout aluminum frame), but from what I hear, the Metanium MGL is a bomber and one of the best reels for distance there is right now. I doubt they are that far apart though in distance though, at least in normal fishing conditions.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:08 am

What rod are you planning on using? I haven't used either of the reels you mentioned but I've used Shimano core 50mg7, chronarch 50e, and citica g, and daiwa tatula type r, t3 1016, tatula ct, and sv103 at different times to throw those type baits(1/4-1/2 oz and 12ft or less). I personally prefer the braking on daiwa for most of my casting, unless I'm bombing long casts to cover a lot of water. I used the Shimano with a 7'6" rod but never really found any of them to be perfect. The core was too light on the long rod and transmitted way too much vibration, the chronarch 50 was also a little too small, and the citica g didn't cast the smaller baits well. The daiwass were used on a 7ft rod for mostly target casts. The tatula type r did well unless I was using the smallest baits, the t3 was the best caster I tried, but didn't like the feel of it due to vibration, the tat ct worked very well but the sv103 is the perfect reel I've tried for these type baits. The sv spool really does make a difference if there's any wind or the bait you are using tends to tumble in the air. I've heard the mgl is a great caster, but imo if you do a lot of target casting or use any balsa baits like I do, the sv spool are definitely a big help

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:28 am

You'll thank yourself once you start casting lighter crankbaits in the wind with an SV reel. I use an Antares for deep cranking and it bombs those bigger cranks. For smaller cranks, I use a Steez SV TW and I have no problems casting cranks directly into the wind.

Shimano reels I feel are great long distance casters under ideal conditions. Once wind and awkward angles come into play, the SV spools are nice.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:48 am

For me, having a rod that will load with a light lure is the key.
I use reels with externally adjustable brakes, so I can adjust easily to wind, and can get most of them to handle lighter lures, as long as the rod they are on will load.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:25 am

I will be using an Alpha Angler Rebound, which will load perfectly with these baits. I love my Metaniums but was leaning towards the Zillion because of the SV spool helping out a little with the lighter baits and balsa baits when the wind picks up a little

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:49 pm

smallies wrote:I will be using an Alpha Angler Rebound, which will load perfectly with these baits. I love my Metaniums but was leaning towards the Zillion because of the SV spool helping out a little with the lighter baits and balsa baits when the wind picks up a little
You're leaning in the right direction with regard to the reel in my opinion. I'd take the Zillion SV TW over the Metanium MGL for this application. Get in touch with The Tackle Trap - there are some really nice deals on Daiwa stuff if you call the shop...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:58 pm

The Zillion SV TW is really an underrated caster. Everyone likes to talk about the control of the SV spool and while it definitely possesses that trait...that G1 Duralumin Spool can launch 'em.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:46 pm

I will cast a dissenting vote here...the Alphas Variants are hard to beat down to 1/8 oz. and they are forgiving even in the wind (not to mention, they are nearly indestructible). The 5.8 gear ratio of the Type F and OG purple people-eater is just right for cranks, too, IMHO. And they can be had in great used condition for a great price right now. Not as glamorous, but you can buy 2 of these for the price of a zillion sv tw.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:13 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:I will cast a dissenting vote here...the Alphas Variants are hard to beat down to 1/8 oz. and they are forgiving even in the wind (not to mention, they are nearly indestructible). The 5.8 gear ratio of the Type F and OG purple people-eater is just right for cranks, too, IMHO. And they can be had in great used condition for a great price right now. Not as glamorous, but you can buy 2 of these for the price of a zillion sv tw.
The Alphas platform is great, I agree Tim. I've spent a good deal of time with both the Metanium MGL and Zillion SV TW. I've owned and fished numerous Alphas variants for quite some time as well. If I was tossing a 1/4 oz crank, I'd take the Zillion SV TW in stock form over the Type F and OG purple in stock form myself. If one of those was super tuned, had aftermarket spools and spool bearings, etc. that could certainly change the equation. The SV105 is an excellent Alphas variant worthy of consideration if we're entertaining those in this discussion, and short of the Alphas R-edition or perhaps the Megabass Zonda, is my favorite Alphas platform reel.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:49 am

bronzefly wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:I will cast a dissenting vote here...the Alphas Variants are hard to beat down to 1/8 oz. and they are forgiving even in the wind (not to mention, they are nearly indestructible). The 5.8 gear ratio of the Type F and OG purple people-eater is just right for cranks, too, IMHO. And they can be had in great used condition for a great price right now. Not as glamorous, but you can buy 2 of these for the price of a zillion sv tw.
The Alphas platform is great, I agree Tim. I've spent a good deal of time with both the Metanium MGL and Zillion SV TW. I've owned and fished numerous Alphas variants for quite some time as well. If I was tossing a 1/4 oz crank, I'd take the Zillion SV TW in stock form over the Type F and OG purple in stock form myself. If one of those was super tuned, had aftermarket spools and spool bearings, etc. that could certainly change the equation. The SV105 is an excellent Alphas variant worthy of consideration if we're entertaining those in this discussion, and short of the Alphas R-edition or perhaps the Megabass Zonda, is my favorite Alphas platform reel.
Yes, the SV105 is available in the 5.8 gear ratio also, and would be the most refined of the Alphas variants. A big plus is the SV spool. It handles cranks at or below 1/8 oz a little better and is less expensive than either of the 2 other reels mentioned here.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:55 am

Not to mention, the Alphas platform fits in my palm so well. It just seems to disappear in my hand. 8-)

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:05 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Not to mention, the Alphas platform fits in my palm so well.
x2 -- One of my favorites to palm

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:35 am

For anything that requires a higher amount of resistance I much prefer aluminum frames reels over composite or magnesium.

I started using my Met MGL for spinnerbaits some last season and felt like it made the retrieve slightly rougher. There has been a thread or 2 on here discussing the gears in this reel. If it was me I would likely opt for Zillion if I was only consdering those reels.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:23 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Yes, the SV105 is available in the 5.8 gear ratio also, and would be the most refined of the Alphas variants. A big plus is the SV spool. It handles cranks at or below 1/8 oz a little better and is less expensive than either of the 2 other reels mentioned here.
I have 2 SV105SH's in my line up that I use for jerkabits and weightless senkos. Would you guys pick the Alphas SV105 over the Zillion SV TW for the task at hand?