Is the Zillion SV TWS noisy like Tatulas?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is the Zillion SV TWS noisy like Tatulas?

Post by LowRange » Wed May 13, 2020 5:52 am

Kurt L wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:14 pm
Hopefully somebody can answer this! are the Zillion sv tws gears noisy like the Tatulas are? I have A Tat. CT R and a Cabelas Arachnid both 8.0 :1 and they both sound geary on the retrieve!, the CT R much more that the Arachnid. I'm thinking about ordering a JDM 9.0 :1 Zillion but that gear noise drives me nuts! Is the Zillion any better?

Thanks, Kurt
Couldn't tell you. I can offer you this. The likely reason your Cabelas old Type R is quieter than your CT Type R is the aluminum handle side plate. If you want a quiet and smooth Zillion get the old SV103 or TD Zillion. That's a proven butter smooth aluminum handle side plate platform.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:58 am

Daiwa has the Lexa HD in many ratios with stainless steel gears which should hold up to some Salmon abuse. My preference is to use a large low pro reel for them and the 2 Curado 300E reels I used to use turned really rough with gear noise so I’m going to try the Tranx and Lexa this season. And before anyone blows me up those reels had been greased very regularly. A good run of 8 to 10 fish in the river and they were rough.

Also, why not try the Zillion HD?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:37 am

I don't understand stainless gears. Aren't they very rough out of the box? What is the point of replacing a reel that got rough with a reel that is already rough out of the box? I thought their point was for heady duty use in the ocean an stuff where brass gears can actually fail and not just loose smoothness

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:41 am

Houndfish wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:11 am
I have a 9.1:1 Zillion TWS SV and it is pretty loud. I had to send it in to TTT to get a defective pinion gear replaced and it did come back a little quieter, but it is still louder then any other Daiwa reel that I own.

I really don't care for it at all, it feels so much more sloppy and loose as well compared to reels in the same price range, in my case a SV103 and a pair of SV105s. Once I can get my endless 34mm spool drama sorted out, I am going to sell it.
This is you answer right here OP. Nicer than a Tatula but inferior to the old gems that are the TD Zillion and Alphas.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:54 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:41 am
Houndfish wrote:
I have a 9.1:1 Zillion TWS SV and it is pretty loud. I had to send it in to TTT to get a defective pinion gear replaced and it did come back a little quieter, but it is still louder then any other Daiwa reel that I own.

I really don't care for it at all, it feels so much more sloppy and loose as well compared to reels in the same price range, in my case a SV103 and a pair of SV105s. Once I can get my endless 34mm spool drama sorted out, I am going to sell it.
This is you answer right here OP. Nicer than a Tatula but inferior to the old gems that are the TD Zillion and Alphas.
To update, sv103 reels are still smooth and silent with maybe a single deep clean between then and now, one Alphas is a little noisy, I have stripped and cleaned it to no result, the other one is a lot better. I also almost rebought a 9.1:1 Zillion TWS SV but it was right as the 'rona was ramping up and I didn't want to spend the money.

34mm spool drama is still ongoing with no end in sight.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:41 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:54 am
LowRange wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:41 am
Houndfish wrote:

To update, sv103 reels are still smooth and silent with maybe a single deep clean between then and now, one Alphas is a little noisy, I have stripped and cleaned it to no result, the other one is a lot better. I also almost rebought a 9.1:1 Zillion TWS SV but it was right as the 'rona was ramping up and I didn't want to spend the money.

34mm spool drama is still ongoing with no end in sight.
34mm drama literally never ends. There are new spools being released near monthly and old forgotten gems poping up used regularly. At this point it is just a mater of 34mm spool platforms. I don't even bother paying attention to whether or not the stock spool is any good. How good is the platform? Look at the 19 Morethan PE whatever. It has some Magforce Z or whatever in it. I just want a black and gold Steez TW platform with an aluminum frame and side plate with bronze 8:1 gears. I'll put one on whatever the 17 Destroyer bottom contact rod is and find an appropriate spool. I literally cant even be bothered to figure out if the PE stock spool is worth a damn with non PE and bass jigs. Don't care. I will choose the spool.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:16 pm

Forgive a popcorn gallery question, but wouldn't a higher ratio gear be noisier just because there are more gear teeth meshing with each handle turn?

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:33 pm

My 4 Tatula Sv TW reels are silent on retrieve after 3 years.