TDZ / TDX is there a better platform

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

TDZ / TDX is there a better platform

Post by goldrod » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:30 am

After many years with my TD-Z and then my recent TD-X reel for cranking, I have discovered that I truly love the platform.
I have a Fuego TD but it’s not as light or smoothe as either of the two TD’s. I’m a late bloomer to the platform , when i got my first TD-Z the upgrades and tuning were more than the reel itself. But the performance gain was pretty much breathtaking. Anyone else share the same sentiments on this platform?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TDZ / TDX is there a better platform

Post by fffishing » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:43 pm

I have Ito103M,and absolutely love it!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:55 pm

I feel bad seeing posts like this. I missed out on an SV103 barely and will probably never know now. Hope to find one eventually.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:21 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I feel bad seeing posts like this. I missed out on an SV103 barely and will probably never know now. Hope to find one eventually.
I’m specifically speaking of TD-Z and TD-X’s. the zillion/ sx103xs platform is great don’t get me wrong but i guess i’m just now seeing the light on a real old school classic that never tires me out.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:56 pm

I love the TDZ line as well. The most comfortable and ergonomic reel I've ever fished.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:54 am

Upgrade the handle, throw in some carbontex, take your pick of spools and it's still one of my favorite platforms. And if your a lefty you can speed it up to a versatile 7.1. My favorite do it all spool is the og gigas r+. The only downside is the finish. I'm still looking for a mint one. I still think the ito is the most beautiful reel ever.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:01 am

I have only the TD-X 103P and the TD-Z 103 I believe.
By my own admission I am a late bloomer but The tdx can throw a shad rap size 7 a good ways. its so smooth and i guess thats what gets me. I doesnt have the original spool but a Steez 103sha spool and a 100mm handle and Type R drag star with bearing and drag upgrades of course but man. Its not a heavy reel and I've come to appreciate the two reels more that most of the new stuff out there. I do have a D5 that is love but the TD is just something different.. I wish i was more up to speed when they first came out but from 1998-2005 i was just getting my feet wet and I dont think i discovered this site til sometime after 2006.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:36 am

Yes, the Alphas. :whistle:

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:44 am

2009ish 50/51e Curado/Chronarch/Scorpion and like interations IMHO.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:43 am

Cristo wrote:2009ish 50/51e Curado/Chronarch/Scorpion and like interations IMHO.
I have one on my desk with a ktf spool.. they sit a lot lower though

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:31 am

I currently have the following in the TD-Z platform and love them (all righties):

Reels in the lineup:

1 Like New Fuego 100H
1 Like New SV103H
1 Excellent TD-X Air Metal 105H
1 Excellent TD-X Air Metal 103H

Reels in my collection:

2 NIB Ito 103M
1 NIB J-Dream 7.9
1 LNIB IP68
1 LNIB IP79
1 NIB TD-Z Type-R
3 NIB SV103XS
4 NIB SV103H

I think the SV103 series will continue to have a following for a long time much like the original TD-Z for versatility, customization, and fishability. That's why I tried to buy up as many as I could to keep them in my lineup. I know I have more than I need right now, but if the platform is now truly retired, then I have 8 (7 NIB and 1 in use) for future use. I have a hard time picking a favorite in the platform since I think each one in my hand at the time is my favorite :D !

Now where is that 20th Anniversary Limited TD-Z 103/105 with a 7:1 gear ratio, color options, and SV spool? !!! :big grin:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:02 am

Big-Bass wrote:I currently have the following in the TD-Z platform and love them (all righties):

Reels in the lineup:

1 Like New Fuego 100H
1 Like New SV103H
1 Excellent TD-X Air Metal 105H
1 Excellent TD-X Air Metal 103H

Reels in my collection:

2 NIB Ito 103M
1 NIB J-Dream 7.9
1 LNIB IP68
1 LNIB IP79
1 NIB TD-Z Type-R
3 NIB SV103XS
4 NIB SV103H

I think the SV103 series will continue to have a following for a long time much like the original TD-Z for versatility, customization, and fishability. That's why I tried to buy up as many as I could to keep them in my lineup. I know I have more than I need right now, but if the platform is now truly retired, then I have 8 (7 NIB and 1 in use) for future use. I have a hard time picking a favorite in the platform since I think each one in my hand at the time is my favorite :D !

Now where is that 20th Anniversary Limited TD-Z 103/105 with a 7:1 gear ratio, color options, and SV spool? !!! :big grin:
So you going to part with that NIB TDZ Type R.. I will gladly help you with that. :whistle:

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:37 pm

;) Not at this point...it is essentially the first of any super tuned models that Daiwa made (circa 2002). It still has the sticker around the spool! 8-)

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:19 pm

To me no, the TDZ platform is the best. I have a LIN 10, a Monoblock, IS 71, PX-Type R and love all of them. But notice I have one of each and really no desire to get another. I have 2 TDZ R+, an ITO, a Personal Order, and a A.O.I. in the TDZ frame. They are the best combination of comfort, casting, and refinement. Especially with the plethora of spool options.

The LIN 10 and Monoblock are unmatched in precision and refinement, but the LIN 10 is heavy as an all around reel, and the Monoblock doesn't cast as good in my hands with the same spools as the TDZ reels. The PX-Type R is slightly more smooth and refined, but more finesse oriented. The IS is slightly more refined and casts just as good but on most rods isn't as comfortable as the TDZ. With my bigger hands the TDZ is more comfortable than the super low profiles most frames are now built on. Also in my opinion the TDZ platform is the best looking low profile platform ever made, especially when you take into account the Ito, A.O.I. and all the personal order reels. And when you get it supretuned with brass gears its just about as refined as anything made.

So yes in my opinion it is still the best platform ever made. If I could only use one platform it would without a doubt be the TDZ platform.