Daiwa PXL-R Tear Down

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa PXL-R Tear Down

Post by Chicagoed » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi all,

With the cold weather finally here I plan on doing some reel maintenance to pass the time. Does anyone know of a online source that shows how to breakdown a PXL-R (video)? By breakdown I mean all the way to the frame. I tried searching on youtube and google but didn't have any luck. My suspicion is that the reel is very similar to another reel in terms of its mechanicals...but I can't figure out which one that is. I saw a few pixy vids but not sure if the pxlr is the same platform. Given the age of the reel I would have thought there would be many vids on it...unfortunately its pretty scarce. So, anyone know of a good breakdown video for the pxlr?

Yes, I know I can send it to one of the tuners but I'd rather keep myself busy this winter playing with the toys.

Thanks!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa PXL-R Tear Down

Post by SSS » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:22 am

internally, they're pretty much the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9eqnMLN9r4

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:08 am

You can also get the schematic here: http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/d ... play_media

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:50 am

I recommend you do your breakdown on a clean micro fiber towel, so anything you drop won't bounce. And take cellphone pictures at each step of disassembly, so you'll know what went where, and how the parts were oriented, particularly the springs and washers.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:51 am

SSS wrote:internally, they're pretty much the same.

Okay, so it is basically the same internals as the pixy platform it came from. I never owned a pixy and for some reason I thought the PXLR only shared the frame. This vid is helpful...thanks for sharing it.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:52 am

mark poulson wrote:I recommend you do your breakdown on a clean micro fiber towel, so anything you drop won't bounce. And take cellphone pictures at each step of disassembly, so you'll know what went where, and how the parts were oriented, particularly the springs and washers.
Yup, plan to take pics and possibly video so I don't make a mess of things.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:33 am

Chicagoed wrote:
SSS wrote:internally, they're pretty much the same.

Okay, so it is basically the same internals as the pixy platform it came from. I never owned a pixy and for some reason I thought the PXLR only shared the frame. This vid is helpful...thanks for sharing it.
yep, its the same thing. You have a better drag in the R and a clicking drag, but generally, everything else is the same.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Almost all of the daiwa reels i have taken apart are the same. Sol, alphas, pixy, steez, zillion, and advantage htsl are almost exactly the same... One good video should get you threw them all minus a luna, monoblock or other unique reel.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:30 pm