Still got "dc reel itch", which one?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Still got "dc reel itch", which one?

Post by Hennessy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:28 am

Well I still have no clue which DC reel I want, I've narrowed it down to the scorpion DC or the metanium DC. I do plan on picking up the anteras DC next year around summer for topwater. Not sure which one palms better. I noticed the scorpion does weigh more but I have a metanium mgl that weighs less than my chronarch mgl but the chronarch palms better. Another thing is the brass gears in the scorpion. The chronarch I recently got has brass gears and it is a smoother retrieving reel than my metanium mgl. Wonder if this will be the case with the scorpion DC vs metanium DC? Also there is around $200 price difference. The lightest I'll be throwing is probably a 3/8 oz crankbait, but 75% of the time it'll be a 1/2 lipless crankbait. Lookin to purchase one as a Xmas gift, so I don't have long. Opinions from people who have one or both are very appreciated.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Still got "dc reel itch", which one?

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 am

My recommendation would be to go directly with the best, which imo is the 2016 Antares DC. Reason is: if you have the itch to try a DC reel, why not go directly with the best to avoid asking yourself the question 'what if I had just spend a bit more..?'.

Also given that you seem to throw heavier lures, I would go with the Antares. I use mine for 1/2 - 1oz lipless cranks for most of the time.

Cheers.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:22 pm

i had the 12 exsence dc, 15 met dc, and 16 antares dc. The exsence was to heavy but built like an absolute tank, the antares sat too high and didnt palm very well, and the met dc was perfect.

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Similar to the hooligan, I've owned the 12 Exsence DC and 15 Metanium DC, and I completely agree with him. I currently have the 17 Exsence DC, which doesn't palm very well, so it's my least comfortable DC so far (only purchased it for the drag sound and color). Haven't tried the Scorpion DC, but both the Metanium and Exsence are very smooth (the 17 Exsence DC is very very close to the Conquest in smoothness).

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:27 pm

I've had my finger on the trigger for a while now for a new Exsence DC XG, based on Cal's TT review of the Antares DC (I assumed they were identical except for color and the Exsence being SW safe). If I'm hearing the previous 2 posts correctly, it sits pretty high? If so, how high in comparison to a Conquest 100DC?

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 pm

For overall fishing I would pick up a metanium DC, it is lighter, palm well, and if you want a topwater dedicated reel next year just pick up a nice 2nd hand 12 Exsence, that reel will suit just fine for the task and you will still have some money left for a very descent rod to built with or get a cool bfs reel for the same money as an new antares/exsence!.. But if you have enought money, kinda into the tackletour spirit, just get all of em !

That say, I use my metanium dc xg that si on top of dx746 for topwater only!..

Two thing bugs me with DC reel, first I know that if the electronic breaking unit fail I wont be able to fix it myselt, then I will have to pay an arm and a leg to get a new unit (at the price of an descent entry reel that will probably never encounter this problem), or hardly try to source a secon hand one.. Second thing, theses reels are not great for pitching, they need more spoor rev to be efficient. Beside that, for pure casting, it sure has the zingggg and cool factor.