Engetsu vs Curado 70 vs SV105???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Engetsu vs Curado 70 vs SV105???

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Will the JDM Engetsu spool fit into a Curado 70??? Haven't researched it a ton, but no luck finding the answer so far. I understand it says the Engetsu is actually a tad bit heavier, just had trouble believing it because the Curado 70 spool is fairly heavy already. Just was wondering if it would fit and it anyone knows if it is actually heavier than the Curado 70 spool. I am considering getting an SV105 when they go super cheap, but I am still really liking my Chronarch MGL, enough to try another Shimano. Just really wish the would micro size (or MGL treatment) the newer Curado K. I have gotten it in my head that I need a dual supported pinion AND main gear now for some reason.

Reel will be going on a 6'6" M Avid X, will probably keep a spool with braid/mono for topwater and buy a second spool full of 10lb HiSeas Fluoro.

This is the link for the Engetsu spool: https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/3617
I didn't realize Hedgehog carried manufacturer parts also.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Engetsu vs Curado 70 vs SV105???

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Believe it, the spool is heavier. I believe the Engetsu PG is intended as a sea bass reel and the spool is sturdy (heavy) and shallow to prevent line dig in with the smaller diameter braids used in this type of fishing. It's still a good casting reel. I use mine on a 610 ML Zodias to throw 90 size jerk baits and small cranks and it does really well. A scorpion 70 may have been a better fit but the Engetsu works great and is different. If you like SV spools and don't yet have an Alphas SV then I would recommend the SV105. I like the silky smooth and solid feeling of the Alphas platform and the SV spool in the SV105 allows it to do anything from casting all but the lightest of UL baits to skipping 1/2+ oz jigs under docks. I prefer mine over the Engetsu and Curado 70 for everything except long casting hardbaits.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:14 am

LowRange wrote:Believe it, the spool is heavier. I believe the Engetsu PG is intended as a sea bass reel and the spool is sturdy (heavy) and shallow to prevent line dig in with the smaller diameter braids used in this type of fishing. It's still a good casting reel. I use mine on a 610 ML Zodias to throw 90 size jerk baits and small cranks and it does really well. A scorpion 70 may have been a better fit but the Engetsu works great and is different. If you like SV spools and don't yet have an Alphas SV then I would recommend the SV105. I like the silky smooth and solid feeling of the Alphas platform and the SV spool in the SV105 allows it to do anything from casting all but the lightest of UL baits to skipping 1/2+ oz jigs under docks. I prefer mine over the Engetsu and Curado 70 for everything except long casting hardbaits.
Yep, I have one SV105 already. Probably going to add a second. Very smooth reel. Recently upgraded to the white inductor ramp, I don't know how or why, but it seems to bomb much further now.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:26 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:Believe it, the spool is heavier. I believe the Engetsu PG is intended as a sea bass reel and the spool is sturdy (heavy) and shallow to prevent line dig in with the smaller diameter braids used in this type of fishing. It's still a good casting reel. I use mine on a 610 ML Zodias to throw 90 size jerk baits and small cranks and it does really well. A scorpion 70 may have been a better fit but the Engetsu works great and is different. If you like SV spools and don't yet have an Alphas SV then I would recommend the SV105. I like the silky smooth and solid feeling of the Alphas platform and the SV spool in the SV105 allows it to do anything from casting all but the lightest of UL baits to skipping 1/2+ oz jigs under docks. I prefer mine over the Engetsu and Curado 70 for everything except long casting hardbaits.
Yep, I have one SV105 already. Probably going to add a second. Very smooth reel. Recently upgraded to the white inductor ramp, I don't know how or why, but it seems to bomb much further now.
If casting distance in a small reel is what you're after then 70 Shimano is a good fit but an SV105 with a Zonda spool is a good long caster too.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:20 am

I like the SV105 better in the whole array of things. As a matter of fact, Tacklewarehouse put them on a killer sale yesterday, so I grabbed one. I used to have an Alphas SV, but I sold it. I have regretted it ever since, but now I got it back.
<")))><{