Opinions, new spool SV105

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Opinions, new spool SV105

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:46 am

Looking for some opinions on what you did with the spool on your Daiwa SV105/Alphas SV reel? The Alphas SV I used to have, I just traded out the stock one for a red SV105 spool from Japan Tackle. Is it better to just change the inductor spring on the stock spool? Or wt other spool options have you tried?
<")))><{

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Opinions, new spool SV105

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:56 am

The only other spools I have tried in my sv105 are the following;

1) DIY Spool. More free casting then the stock, but still pretty controllable. I like it better than stock for small/light hardbaits, but the line capacity does limit it's uses.

2) Fixed inductor spool from the Alphas Finesse Custom. Far more free casting then stock, more so then my thumb can handle. Oddly enough, I find the Finesse Custom to be a great caster in it's stock form, but when putting the sv spool into the FC, it becomes somehow both uncontrollable and very choked down in distance.

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:56 am

I don't own a sv105 yet. I am getting mine this week from my friend.

On His reel I changed the stock spring on the spool to a harder one and the spool became less choked and a casting machine. So good that I just had to buy it off him haha.

I don't know about the other spools as I 've only played the stock one so far. I feel like the aftermarker ones would be only slightly better than stock but i may be wrong.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:01 am

fishingkat wrote:I don't own a sv105 yet. I am getting mine this week from my friend.

On His reel I changed the stock spring on the spool to a harder one and the spool became less choked and a casting machine. So good that I just had to buy it off him haha.

I don't know about the other spools as I 've only played the stock one so far. I feel like the aftermarker ones would be only slightly better than stock but i may be wrong.
The stiffer spring is something that I planned on trying. What spring did he put in it?

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:26 am

Swap out the inductor spring and grab a set of good bearings for it. That all you need to wake up the reel.

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:54 am

toddmc wrote:
fishingkat wrote:I don't own a sv105 yet. I am getting mine this week from my friend.

The stiffer spring is something that I planned on trying. What spring did he put in it?
Hlc td zillion or z2020 one will work.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:31 am

fishingkat wrote:
toddmc wrote:

This is the one I used
http://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/tu001003.html

I put HH air bearings in and changed the inductor base its tighter fitting so inductor doesnt get stuck. http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... s_id=12155

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:06 am

How hard is the spring swap? I have a few spools that I think could benefit from it, but I am intimidated by working with parts that small.

Also, has anyone gone the other way and changed to a weaker spring to get more breaking force? I am really in love with the Alphas series and could see wanting an SV spool for use with 3/4-1oz lures, something I have found to be a bit wild on the stock spool spring.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:Swap out the inductor spring and grab a set of good bearings for it. That all you need to wake up the reel.
I've got a set of ZRs in it. It's a good caster with them added. I was leaning to just a spring swap to finish it off.
<")))><{

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:17 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:Swap out the inductor spring and grab a set of good bearings for it. That all you need to wake up the reel.
I've got a set of ZRs in it. It's a good caster with them added. I was leaning to just a spring swap to finish it off.
Pick up a R+ spring for it from the guys in AL.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Pick up a R+ spring for it from the guys in AL.
I'll have to give Spanky a call.
<")))><{

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:46 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
fishingkat wrote:
toddmc wrote:

This is the one I used

I put HH air bearings in and changed the inductor base its tighter fitting so inductor doesnt get stuck. http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... s_id=12155
Thanks guys. I think a lot of people will benefit from this info. Most people seem to report that the SV 105 spool seems to do best with 5/16 to 1/2, but the spring is too light for the lighter stuff. I have found the this to be the case with mine. The 7.2 ratio makes it a great topwater/jerkbait reel for midsize baits with the spool in stock form. The stiffer spring is a lot cheaper than a different spool :D . I have found the line guide is very restrictive also. I have an old TD Fuego line guide laying around that should help this issue.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Sent my spool to Ian Shields for a stiffer spring inductor tune and polish. I also run ZPI bearings. It really opens up the reel over stock.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:33 am

toddmc wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
fishingkat wrote:
toddmc wrote:

This is the one I used

Thanks guys. I think a lot of people will benefit from this info. Most people seem to report that the SV 105 spool seems to do best with 5/16 to 1/2, but the spring is too light for the lighter stuff. I have found the this to be the case with mine. The 7.2 ratio makes it a great topwater/jerkbait reel for midsize baits with the spool in stock form. The stiffer spring is a lot cheaper than a different spool :D . I have found the line guide is very restrictive also. I have an old TD Fuego line guide laying around that should help this issue.
TDZ line guide won't fit on an Alphas platform, only the Pixy.
<")))><{

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:28 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
toddmc wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
fishingkat wrote:
toddmc wrote: The stiffer spring is something that I planned on trying. What spring did he put in it?
This is the one I used

TDZ line guide won't fit on an Alphas platform, only the Pixy.
That's what I had heard before. I checked the two line guides against each other last week when I got my silver SV 105H line guide from the Tackle Trap, and I found that the crossbar holes match up on each, which made me think that it might work. I didn't look at the other areas. Upon further inspection, the Alphas line guide has shorter threads and a squared off groove on the worm drive hole. You saved me a little wasted energy.