Curado K gears

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Curado K gears

Post by paulito » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:41 pm

I called shimano on multiple occasions and they keep telling me that the curado k brass gears are NOT interchangeable with the metanium mgl aluminum gears... is there any reason for them to say this? The wide spread know-how that this swap works is down by the enthusiasm on this forum.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Only the drive gear is compatible you still need a Met. pinion and the Curado handle side drag washer. My XG's have never been smoother although I have not had them on the water yet but from what I can tell so far I'm all smiles :D

Kurt

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:27 pm

Kurt L wrote:Only the drive gear is compatible you still need a Met. pinion and the Curado handle side drag washer. My XG's have never been smoother although I have not had them on the water yet but from what I can tell so far I'm all smiles :D

Kurt
x2

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:43 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Kurt L wrote:Only the drive gear is compatible you still need a Met. pinion and the Curado handle side drag washer. My XG's have never been smoother although I have not had them on the water yet but from what I can tell so far I'm all smiles :D

Kurt
x2
Does this mean we can finally put carbontex drag washers in the met mgl? (Sorry for my noobness. Does the curado have the nasty fat dartanium II drag washer like the met?) If I can put in the curado brass gear and add a carbontex drag washer....oh giggity \:D/

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Haha I'm so stupid. Ty tackle trap for having the conversion kit eith the carbontex washer included. True mvps

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:12 am

paulito wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:

Kurt
x2
Does this mean we can finally put carbontex drag washers in the met mgl? (Sorry for my noobness. Does the curado have the nasty fat dartanium II drag washer like the met?) If I can put in the curado brass gear and add a carbontex drag washer....oh giggity \:D/
Also the DSV300 kit fits the Met MGL stock gears as well.

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:03 pm

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
paulito wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:

Kurt
x2
Also the DSV300 kit fits the Met MGL stock gears as well.
awesome thank you!

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:07 pm

One question. Do the 13 and MGL Mets both use the same pinion gear?

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:54 pm

wilddog66 wrote:One question. Do the 13 and MGL Mets both use the same pinion gear?
No they don't you have to order the specific one for each reel.

Kurt

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Kurt L wrote:
wilddog66 wrote:One question. Do the 13 and MGL Mets both use the same pinion gear?

Kurt
That's odd, the main gear is interchangeable, and both pinions are compatible, but not compatible with the respective reels which can both use the same main gear...

I figure maybe the Silent Tune or something with the spool/other design causes this.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:02 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Kurt L wrote:

Kurt
That's odd, the main gear is interchangeable, and both pinions are compatible, but not compatible with the respective reels which can both use the same main gear...

I figure maybe the Silent Tune or something with the spool/other design causes this.
They might be the same but you just gotta make sure you match the gear ratio...

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:43 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Kurt L wrote:

Kurt

The MGL and 13 have different spools and frames, MGL has a bearing on the spool (pinion side) the 13 does not, therefore the spool shafts are not the same.

Kurt

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Kurt L wrote:
The MGL and 13 have different spools and frames, MGL has a bearing on the spool (pinion side) the 13 does not, therefore the spool shafts are not the same.

Kurt

Makes sense to me.

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Anyone know if the pinion gear from the curado K will fit into a chronarch MGL without doing a whole gear swap? Mine is getting that geary feeling that we all know and love so much

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:07 pm

hokiehi wrote:Anyone know if the pinion gear from the curado K will fit into a chronarch MGL without doing a whole gear swap? Mine is getting that geary feeling that we all know and love so much
I might be wrong but I believe the chronarch MGL has brass gears all ready...