Need help to buy reel! Cant decide.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hyaweh
Angler
Angler

Need help to buy reel! Cant decide.

Post by Hyaweh » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Title said it all, I plan on buying a new reel this year and I can t decide which one to buy. Honestly, lots of new and sexy reel are coming out this year and even last years model are hella nice. Heres are my choices;
- Ryoga 1016L (2018)
- Aldaberan MGL (2018)
- Calcutta Conquest (2014)
- Antares DC (2016)

I can t decide what technique to use the reels for yet but maybe some nice swimbaits or jigs? 1/4oz to 1/2 oz

Some questions here and there too
- If we compare conquest with ryoga, what are the size difference? How big is the equivalent of the ryoga in the calcutta series?
- I know the ryoga isnt out yet but you guys think of any possibility of a SV spool coming out for it? *Not sure if the breaking system would worl with sv tho.
- Casting Distance? Which you guys think cast the fardest? and the second place?

PS.: No I dont need a steez. I have 2 and theyre the best reel ever. Theyre the only 2 reels I wont trade no matter wat, but I feel like getting something different

faheem96
Angler
Angler

Re: Need help to buy reel! Cant decide.

Post by faheem96 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Hyaweh wrote:Title said it all, I plan on buying a new reel this year and I can t decide which one to buy. Honestly, lots of new and sexy reel are coming out this year and even last years model are hella nice. Heres are my choices;
- Ryoga 1016L (2018)
- Aldaberan MGL (2018)
- Antares DC (2016)

I can t decide what technique to use the reels for yet but maybe some nice swimbaits or jigs? 1/4oz to 1/2 oz

- If we compare conquest with ryoga, what are the size difference? How big is the equivalent of the ryoga in the calcutta series?
- I know the ryoga isnt out yet but you guys think of any possibility of a SV spool coming out for it? *Not sure if the breaking system would worl with sv tho.
- Casting Distance? Which you guys think cast the fardest? and the second place?

PS.: No I dont need a steez. I have 2 and theyre the best reel ever. Theyre the only 2 reels I wont trade no matter wat, but I feel like getting something different
There is ryoga 1016hl SV version came out in South East Asia. Its red in colour. Wanted to get that one but didnt pull the trigger since the new black ryoga 2018 is out.

Hyaweh
Angler
Angler

Post by Hyaweh » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:04 pm

faheem96 wrote:
Hyaweh wrote:Title said it all, I plan on buying a new reel this year and I can t decide which one to buy. Honestly, lots of new and sexy reel are coming out this year and even last years model are hella nice. Heres are my choices;
- Ryoga 1016L (2018)
- Aldaberan MGL (2018)
- Antares DC (2016)

There is ryoga 1016hl SV version came out in South East Asia. Its red in colour. Wanted to get that one but didnt pull the trigger since the new black ryoga 2018 is out.
Yep, I saw the red one but am def not a fan of that red color. I however fell in love with the new 2018 ryoga design. Just so sexy!

faheem96
Angler
Angler

Post by faheem96 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Hyaweh wrote:
faheem96 wrote:
- Ryoga 1016L (2018)
- Aldaberan MGL (2018)
- Antares DC (2016)

Yep, I saw the red one but am def not a fan of that red color. I however fell in love with the new 2018 ryoga design. Just so sexy!
Got to agree with that!!!

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 pm

There is quite some difference between the reels you are looking at, esp. Aldebaran mgl vs. the rest. Find out what you need first :-k

You love your Steez reels. I suggest you get the Ryoga (if that ends up fitting your needs). You can swap spools between the Steez and Ryoga, and you can alreday get plenty of extra spools for the Ryoga eg. SLP G1 1016 (more or less the same as the Steez spool) and the ZPI NRC001 M/PG and more.

All the reels will cast far. I have the old Calais/Antares DC, which like the new DC was billed as a great distance caster. And it is.
I have some new Conquests (100 and 300 size) and the old silver Ryoga with the abovementioned SLP spool - they cast great too.
I guess nobody yet have their hands on the Alde MGL but I am sure it is great caster that just suit different needs than the Conquest/Ryoga.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:49 am

Jigs are usually fished on faster gear ratios & swimbaits usually slower reels. As for round vs low pro, you can fish anything on either though I think you'll find the lo pro better suited fishing jigs & round reel better suited for moving baits.

I would decide what you lure(s) you want to use the reel most for, then what gear ratio you want, then go from there.
For me personally, I'd assign the reels you listed as such:

-ryoga: moving/horizontal baits
-Aldaberan mg: both- better for jigs/vertical baits if faster ratio, moving/horizontal baits for slower ratio.
-Antares DC: moving/horizontal baits
-Conquest: moving/horizontal baits

If you already own steez(S), then I'd imagine you have jigs covered(as that's about as good a jig reel as you can get).

For round reels... I'm really digging that new ryoga. It vs the conquest- conquest 100 will weigh less, but the ryoga can take all kinds of spools(giving you much better line capacity than conquest, ability to use light spools, SV spools, etc). Everything else will probably be a wash, those will be the main differences I think. Probably be able to eek out a little better distance in the ryoga due to all the spool options.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 am

Have you considered the Conquest/Calcutta DC100?
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Hyaweh
Angler
Angler

Post by Hyaweh » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:52 pm

spookybaits wrote:Jigs are usually fished on faster gear ratios & swimbaits usually slower reels. As for round vs low pro, you can fish anything on either though I think you'll find the lo pro better suited fishing jigs & round reel better suited for moving baits.

I would decide what you lure(s) you want to use the reel most for, then what gear ratio you want, then go from there.
For me personally, I'd assign the reels you listed as such:

-ryoga: moving/horizontal baits
-Aldaberan mg: both- better for jigs/vertical baits if faster ratio, moving/horizontal baits for slower ratio.
-Antares DC: moving/horizontal baits
-Conquest: moving/horizontal baits

If you already own steez(S), then I'd imagine you have jigs covered(as that's about as good a jig reel as you can get).

For round reels... I'm really digging that new ryoga. It vs the conquest- conquest 100 will weigh less, but the ryoga can take all kinds of spools(giving you much better line capacity than conquest, ability to use light spools, SV spools, etc). Everything else will probably be a wash, those will be the main differences I think. Probably be able to eek out a little better distance in the ryoga due to all the spool options.
Thanks for the info! btw would you know how big the ryogs 1016 would be compared to the calcutta? Honestly if i can put an sv spool in the ryoga 2018 then I probably wont even consider other reels anymore :lol: . My biggest concern would probably be the braking system tho. I really reaaaaaaly love the air brake sys but not a fan magforce Z

Hyaweh
Angler
Angler

Post by Hyaweh » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:05 pm

mhood wrote:Have you considered the Conquest/Calcutta DC100?
8-[ unfortunately not. I know its a very nice reel but I dont know where to look for them anymore. Also, the conquest dc is nice to throw heavier lures but will probably fail me with lighter ones

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:06 am

The Ryoga 1016 is a little bigger than the Conquest 100, which has the small palming sideplate. The new black Ryoga is also heavier than the old silver Ryoga, which was already heavier than the Conquest - as far as I recall. The weight may be an issue for you. Again what will you use it for and which rod will it go on. I like the added weight of the Ryoga on my longer seatrout/salmon rods just because I like the more balanced feeling (an Aldebaran feels weird on a 9’6” rod).

Note, you can also find aftermarket spools for the Conquest (Avail, ZPI) - I use the Avail 1024 size in mine and it works great. Still, as mentioned, with a Ryoga you can swap spools with your Steez etc.