SV105P

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV105P

Post by toddmc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:29 pm

LowRange wrote:Can someone explain to me why we would stiffen the spring on the inductor on an Alphas SV rather than purchase a 2nd hand Magforce Z or V spool? It would seem to me like we are trying to un SV an SV spool. That low spool speed control is what they are known for and would be why one would purchase the reel in the 1st place instead of say, another non SV Alphas or Pixy. Am I off base on this?
Not all SV spools are the same. The SV105 spool is more braked than say an SV103 spool. The SV105 spool is over-braked enough that it doesn't cast the lighter stuff very well compared to other lighter spools.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:08 am

toddmc wrote:
LowRange wrote:Can someone explain to me why we would stiffen the spring on the inductor on an Alphas SV rather than purchase a 2nd hand Magforce Z or V spool? It would seem to me like we are trying to un SV an SV spool. That low spool speed control is what they are known for and would be why one would purchase the reel in the 1st place instead of say, another non SV Alphas or Pixy. Am I off base on this?
Not all SV spools are the same. The SV105 spool is more braked than say an SV103 spool. The SV105 spool is over-braked enough that it doesn't cast the lighter stuff very well compared to other lighter spools.
I think I get it. There are not any Magforce Z spools for the Alphas that are as light as the SV so the inductor spring is changed to make the SV spool behave more like a Magforce Z spool. I think my Alphas SV casts great. It cast differently than my Pixy Airy Red in that it is more controlled at low speed. It doesn't cast light weight baits nearly as far but it can skip them thumb free under docks unlike the Airy Red. They're very different animals. Different tools to be more accurate. I bought my 1st Alphas SV to skip small jigs and plastics after the vid below blew my mind and I have the Airy Red to distance cast small baits like ned rigs and such. Messing with the inductor to change the behavior of the Alphas SV spool still strikes me as a little odd. I get it if the reel had some weird spool that was unique to the reel and couldn't be changed but it is an Alphas and there are a ton of 2nd hand non SV spools that are less braked but at the cost of being a little heavier. Am I misunderstanding the appeal of the SV spools? I thought it was all about control. When distance is valued in a braking profile I skip SV spools all together. Every SV spool I have has a Magforce Z or V equivalent that will outcast it.

I'm not saying I disagree with modding reels. That stuff is fun. If anyone cares you can buy the tapered inductors from the Ray's DIY spools and this can also change the braking profile of an SV spool into a more distance orientated one.

https://youtu.be/b6NxIFMtRT4

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:04 am

toddmc wrote:
Mine seems to not brake enough. It seems to struggle with a 1/16oz Shakeyhead with worm. Even a Senko, the reel seems to be fast for an SV spool. Definitely the least controlled. I have stock bearings as well.

It's just odd because it doesn't want to cast stuff it should be able to cast. Reel is great with heavier stuff like a 1/2oz jerkbait. I do have it to the brim with 10lb FC.

I have a second Alphas SV in the mail.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:28 am

LowRange wrote:
toddmc wrote:
I think I get it. There are not any Magforce Z spools for the Alphas that are as light as the SV so the inductor spring is changed to make the SV spool behave more like a Magforce Z spool. I think my Alphas SV casts great. It cast differently than my Pixy Airy Red in that it is more controlled at low speed. It doesn't cast light weight baits nearly as far but it can skip them thumb free under docks unlike the Airy Red. They're very different animals. Different tools to be more accurate. I bought my 1st Alphas SV to skip small jigs and plastics after the vid below blew my mind and I have the Airy Red to distance cast small baits like ned rigs and such. Messing with the inductor to change the behavior of the Alphas SV spool still strikes me as a little odd. I get it if the reel had some weird spool that was unique to the reel and couldn't be changed but it is an Alphas and there are a ton of 2nd hand non SV spools that are less braked but at the cost of being a little heavier. Am I misunderstanding the appeal of the SV spools? I thought it was all about control. When distance is valued in a braking profile I skip SV spools all together. Every SV spool I have has a Magforce Z or V equivalent that will outcast it.

I'm not saying I disagree with modding reels. That stuff is fun. If anyone cares you can buy the tapered inductors from the Ray's DIY spools and this can also change the braking profile of an SV spool into a more distance orientated one.

The lighter baits seem to float throughout the cast without achieving much distance. This is how my SV105 behaves with lighter baits. This floating sensation tells you that is it over-braked. It also doesn't need much thumb. It's really hard to get the magnets adjusted to achieve distance without a backlash. A heavier spring will help this.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 am

toddmc wrote:
LowRange wrote:
toddmc wrote:

The lighter baits seem to float throughout the cast without achieving much distance. This is how my SV105 behaves with lighter baits. This floating sensation tells you that is it over-braked. It also doesn't need much thumb. It's really hard to get the magnets adjusted to achieve distance without a backlash. A heavier spring will help this.
I think it casts as designed. That floating sensation at the end of a cast is what allows it to skip difficult and light weight baits so darn well. For me at least, that was the whole appeal of the reel. I can skip baits I didn't even think we're possible on casting gear including other SV spools. The fact that it skips as insane as it does like an SS SV spool and can still make casts with useable distance I still think is impressive today. Any change to the braking profile to gain more distance would compromise the ability to skip to some degree. If I didn't care about skipping I wouldn't be looking at Alphas SV but if I bought one without knowing what I was getting into and was a expecting a longer casting reel I understand why some one would want to modify the spool to alter braking profile. I would urge anyone in this situation to try and use the reel as intended and skip some small baits and see if they like it before missing the spool. They might end up liking the stock spool and purchasing another non SV Alphas or Pixy for regular finesse casting use. The Airy Red spool is anti-SV btw. That thing is FAST and will launch light weight baits. I highly recommend it.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:01 pm

LowRange wrote:
toddmc wrote:
LowRange wrote:
toddmc wrote:

I think it casts as designed. That floating sensation at the end of a cast is what allows it to skip difficult and light weight baits so darn well. For me at least, that was the whole appeal of the reel. I can skip baits I didn't even think we're possible on casting gear including other SV spools. The fact that it skips as insane as it does like an SS SV spool and can still make casts with useable distance I still think is impressive today. Any change to the braking profile to gain more distance would compromise the ability to skip to some degree. If I didn't care about skipping I wouldn't be looking at Alphas SV but if I bought one without knowing what I was getting into and was a expecting a longer casting reel I understand why some one would want to modify the spool to alter braking profile. I would urge anyone in this situation to try and use the reel as intended and skip some small baits and see if they like it before missing the spool. They might end up liking the stock spool and purchasing another non SV Alphas or Pixy for regular finesse casting use. The Airy Red spool is anti-SV btw. That thing is FAST and will launch light weight baits. I highly recommend it.
Yes, it does work well as a skipping reel, but a small profile reel with a light spool screams light baits to me. Light baits go with clear water, and distance is a must, unless you are dock fishing. I fish heavier line around docks, and heavier FC line isn't great on a 33mm spool. I would keep the stock spool as is if I wanted to fish 3/8oz. and up, but I've got several different 34mm SV spool reels that do this.
I don't get the distance that I want with small topwaters and jerkbaits, which is what I bought the SV105 for. The cool thing is, as you said, that extra spools are reasonable for this reel. I would buy a DIY spool if I didn't already have so many reels. I was also looking at DIY inductor. That is a no brainer to have around.
Last edited by toddmc on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:05 pm

ccass wrote:
toddmc wrote:
Mine seems to not brake enough. It seems to struggle with a 1/16oz Shakeyhead with worm. Even a Senko, the reel seems to be fast for an SV spool. Definitely the least controlled. I have stock bearings as well.

It's just odd because it doesn't want to cast stuff it should be able to cast. Reel is great with heavier stuff like a 1/2oz jerkbait. I do have it to the brim with 10lb FC.

I have a second Alphas SV in the mail.
I think the 10 lb. line could be your problem with a bait that light. I would try lighter line if the cover allows you to get away with it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:11 pm

LowRange wrote:
toddmc wrote:
LowRange wrote:
toddmc wrote:

If you ever do go the DIY inductor route, apply some super glue to the back of the inductor where the white plastic joins the inductor. They are notorious for becoming unglued at that spot over time with use.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:56 pm

If you ever do go the DIY inductor route, apply some super glue to the back of the inductor where the white plastic joins the inductor. They are notorious for becoming unglued at that spot over time with use.[/quote]

Is there anything else to watch out for with the DIY spools??? I finally got brave enough to try one for the Zillion TWS. No one else has ever mentioned having one for that reel so I am excited to give it a shot...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:23 am

DirtyD64 wrote:If you ever do go the DIY inductor route, apply some super glue to the back of the inductor where the white plastic joins the inductor. They are notorious for becoming unglued at that spot over time with use.
Is there anything else to watch out for with the DIY spools??? I finally got brave enough to try one for the Zillion TWS. No one else has ever mentioned having one for that reel so I am excited to give it a shot...[/quote]

I was thinking about getting one for the Zillion TWS for punching.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:43 pm

ccass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:If you ever do go the DIY inductor route, apply some super glue to the back of the inductor where the white plastic joins the inductor. They are notorious for becoming unglued at that spot over time with use.
Is there anything else to watch out for with the DIY spools??? I finally got brave enough to try one for the Zillion TWS. No one else has ever mentioned having one for that reel so I am excited to give it a shot...
I was thinking about getting one for the Zillion TWS for punching.[/quote]

The glue issue is the only known problem that I am aware of. They all do it and it is a relatively easy fix but does require removal of the inductor. The spools can be a little noisy in that they can buzz or make metallic ringing sounds at high RPM but doesn't affect performance.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:22 am

Just picked up an SV105P for $143 so at that price I figured I would give it a shot. It's going to go on a Tatula (original) 701MLR with that full eva but short back handle. Maybe throw some cranks, jerkbaits, and spinnerbaits with it. Hopefully it's nice!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:57 am

I picked up a second one last night and looks like this morning they are sold out. I may get two sets of gears for the higher speed ratio just to have in case I ever want to convert them, but after thinking about it, the 23.5" IPT (while not fast) is still the same as the old Sol, very similar to if not almost identical IPT to the Curado/Chronarch 50E, and Scorpion 1000XT. Is the gold on the P more of a champagne gold color as it looks lighter in the picture? Thanks and best wishes on the water!

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:00 am

It took every ounce of my self control not to buy a pair of them myself, that sale was insane.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:02 am

Big-Bass wrote:I picked up a second one last night and looks like this morning they are sold out. I may get two sets of gears for the higher speed ratio just to have in case I ever want to convert them, but after thinking about it, the 23.5" IPT (while not fast) is still the same as the old Sol, very similar to if not almost identical IPT to the Curado/Chronarch 50E, and Scorpion 1000XT. Is the gold on the P more of a champagne gold color as it looks lighter in the picture? Thanks and best wishes on the water!
Just received mine last night and there is no gold on the P. It's a black and silver/ gunmetal colorway.
just hotdogin it