ABU spinning reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

ABU spinning reels?

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:15 am

Are the drags really that bad? Just watched Ike pulling line off the reel when playing a fish. :lol:

meach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: ABU spinning reels?

Post by meach » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:49 pm

I've seen ike do that with his steez spinning reels when he was with diawa....my guess would be instead of back reeling he prefer to pull the line out himself..guess is that it's quicker when playing a fish and in tourney mode that's $ at the end if the line
You must unlearn what you have learned

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ABU spinning reels?

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:26 am

They aren't that bad. I say that, and am in the process of selling our 2, but they still aren't horrible. Abu sent my wife a brand new Revo Premier 30 after her Gen1 Premier crapped its pants. The new 2016 version feels great so far. Many people say the anti reverse will go out, but as of now its a tank. Drag is awesome, fairly light, gears are above average (for now), carbon fiber handle is cool.
My STX20 though isn't as tough. It feels better than I gave it credit for now that I have a new Stradic Ci4+FB to compare it to, but it is just... lacking something... I fought a big smallmouth last year and it seems to get that whirly sound after a big fish and gets a bit geary. It goes away, but for now is much better suited on my 6'Light rod for bream than on a bass rod.

Also I noticed last night, my junker/car rod Gen1 Orra S30 has a bent in knob/handle. Doesn't look like it got bent, looks like it's always been that way and I never noticed, haven't used that rod much in the last 3+ years, maybe it was just a factory issue, but now it bothers me seeing there.

Overall, I would rate the Abu's a 7.5/10 and the Stradic's (FA & FB) a 9/10. The Premier 30 for free as a replacement was awesome though.