Daiwa Goldcast III spincast (for kids)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa Goldcast III spincast (for kids)

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Does anyone use these?  Or do you have them for your kids?  How are they?  I tried one today and I experienced two different retrieve styles/sounds.  With the lever that controls the back reeling pushed "up" toward the gold reel cover, the retrieve had a clicking retrieve similar to the sound of a clicking drag being pulled out.  With the back reeling on, or the lever being pulled back towards the rear of the reel, the retrieve was silent.  Both retrieves recovered line the same.  Is that normal for these reels?  Thanks for your help.

AlgonquinFan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa Goldcast III spincast (for kids)

Post by AlgonquinFan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:46 pm

I think that they're good, as far as spincasting reels go. All versions of the Goldcast have an audible (clicking) anti-reverse, but that sort of thing doesn't bother me.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:16 pm

I understand that the drag clicks when pulled, but should the clicking be present on the retrieve with the turn of the handle Thanks!

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:55 pm

If the reel will be used by a kid , especially a small kid , look at a zebco triggerspin reel . They go on a spinning rod and are much,much easier for kids to hold and cast. I think it is the zebco 44 classic. When my sons were young, they both used these reels for casting lures .....topwaters,spinnerbaits,cranks, and texas rigged plastics, also slip bobber fishing with live bait. My oldest son Mitchell even caught his IGFA world record on one of these reels.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:21 pm

I passed spincast reel (casting distance suckss) and gave Daiwa Steez SV to my 5 yo kid. It's very easy to use and no need to thumb spool at all.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:28 am

I bought a Daiwa underspin 40 size reel for my droughts to learn on. April 1st is the start of trout season here so that's when she might start using it. I say might because it's only going to be 3*C judging by the current forecast...
Last edited by adam lancia on Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:41 am

My daughter has a few fishing options but also thinking for my son. My daughter has a small underspin and a nice little 5' rod with it. I am thinking as they get older before they move to spinning or baitcasting. Aside from that, what about the clicking retrieve question from the original post? Any help on that? Thank you!

AlgonquinFan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by AlgonquinFan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Yes, the Goldcasts click when you retrieve them while the anti-reverse is engaged.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:55 pm

I have one for my 5 year old son and he really prefers it over the push button style. Our reel clicks during retrieve too. I think it will help him transition to spinning reels when the time comes to upgrade. Have fun!

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:03 pm

MardukFIN wrote:I passed spincast reel (casting distance suckss) and gave Daiwa Steez SV to my 5 yo kid. It's very easy to use and no need to thumb spool at all.
I think I am your long lost son. I can let you know where to send my Steez SV. :laugh1: