Pinion Frame Hump

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Pinion Frame Hump

Post by Tony9 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:30 am

My buddy's Curado Is have recently been feeling gritty. After going through the reel we determined that the problem was the inner pinion bearing. Replacing that bearing made the problem go away. What we did notice after comparing it to the Curado K (and other reels), is that there is a hump most likely designed to channel water way from the pinion opening. Does anyone know if that is the main purpose of it? If anything, it looks like Shimano has incorporated it into their newer reels. I don't think I've seen anybody mention it anywhere as a feature. If I'm not mistaken, most if not all my Daiwas has this, even the older ones.

Curado I vs Curado K

Curado 70

Chronarch Ci4+

Chronarch MgL

Metanium MgL

Zillion HD

SV103

diehardbassfishing
Angler
Angler

Re: Pinion Frame Hump

Post by diehardbassfishing » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:11 pm

That's more of a collar for the spool bearing. You'll likely notice that reels without this collar do not have a bearing under the spool pin on that side.

Karl

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:41 pm

diehardbassfishing wrote:That's more of a collar for the spool bearing. You'll likely notice that reels without this collar do not have a bearing under the spool pin on that side.

Karl
It makes sense that it would hold the bearing on Daiwa's free floating spool and Shimano's Silent Tune configurations. The Curado 70, Curado K, and Chronarch Mgl also has the collar on the frame and there isn't a bearing under the spool pin.

diehardbassfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by diehardbassfishing » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:43 am

For heck of it compared Daiwa Fuego (non-floating spool) with Daiwa Zillion (floating spool). Only the Zillion has the frame hump to capture the bearing. Fuego basically flat.

I wonder if the Shimano uses a chassis for two different models (with 2 different bearing configurations).

Karl

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:57 pm

Didn't the Curado I have X-Ship too? Maybe it's designed a bit different, but both the Chronarch Ci4+ and Curado I have dual pinion support. Wonder if the Chronarch MGL spool fits or the collar (hump) interferes...

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:57 am

It is there to help prevent water from getting on the pinion bearing. Nothing more. On some reels like Metanium MGL that have a bearing on the spool, it is a support for that bearing. For the Curado K and some of our other models, it is only to prevent water from getting on the bearing.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:07 am

Bantam1 wrote:It is there to help prevent water from getting on the pinion bearing. Nothing more. On some reels like Metanium MGL that have a bearing on the spool, it is a support for that bearing. For the Curado K and some of our other models, it is only to prevent water from getting on the bearing.
Thanks Bantam1. This confirms what I originally thought. Very glad to see this feature being added to non Silent Tune models as well going forward.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Bantam1 wrote:It is there to help prevent water from getting on the pinion bearing. Nothing more. On some reels like Metanium MGL that have a bearing on the spool, it is a support for that bearing. For the Curado K and some of our other models, it is only to prevent water from getting on the bearing.
This design is a plus for us saltwater guys