New Daiwa?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Daiwa?

Post by tywithay » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Says it has a new smaller frame size. Probably why nothing else looks like it. I'm guessing they're throwing the feeelers out in the lower price range to see if people like the frame. Then, they'll use it in the future with aluminum or zaion. Maybe replace the Pixy or Alphas.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Paint quality seems to be better than $300+ Abus :?

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:37 am

I want to see that same frame made of magnesium reel weight less than 5oz! 8-)

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:24 am

So it's not a Doyo based reel then? =D>

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:11 am

Big-Bass wrote:So it's not a Doyo based reel then? =D>
My force powers must have been off. Darkside or trickery got me. Unless it DOES turn out to be Doyo produced. Those specs, and especially that phrase "Double Anodized 32mm Duralumin spool" got me good. As previously mentioned, the odd ratio, and a few other things screamed LFS/Doyo relationship.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:34 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
My force powers must have been off. Darkside or trickery got me. Unless it DOES turn out to be Doyo produced. Those specs, and especially that phrase "Double Anodized 32mm Duralumin spool" got me good. As previously mentioned, the odd ratio, and a few other things screamed LFS/Doyo relationship.
The KTF Alphas had a 7.5 ratio. So, it's not unheard of in a Daiwa.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Here is the other new Daiwa.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:59 pm

LowRange wrote:Here is the other new Daiwa.

Say what? :lol:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:41 pm

tywithay wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Those gears were also custom made by KTF and not a factory platform gear set. Curious to see if this is a Korea OEM reel...
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:22 pm

LowRange wrote:Here is the other new Daiwa.

Yeah, you know, cuz regular trunking totally effs up your line, especially when you don't have a cell signal.

I like how the guy in the picture totally has a spinning reel.
This is the way.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:47 am

Teal101 wrote:
tywithay wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Those gears were also custom made by KTF and not a factory platform gear set. Curious to see if this is a Korea OEM reel...
I think I rember Ian mentioning a while back that KTF & Daiwa had collaborated before. Been a while, but I think Daiwa had KTF make them a bearing oil, or something to that effect.
Daiwa has also collaborated with Deps, Gan Craft, and others. Doesn't really strike me as too far fetched I guess.

That said, I seriously doubt Daiwa is using KTF gears in this reel :lol:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:57 am

spookybaits wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
tywithay wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
I think I rember Ian mentioning a while back that KTF & Daiwa had collaborated before. Been a while, but I think Daiwa had KTF make them a bearing oil, or something to that effect.
Daiwa has also collaborated with Deps, Gan Craft, and others. Doesn't really strike me as too far fetched I guess.

That said, I seriously doubt Daiwa is using KTF gears in this reel :lol:
KTF originally made a custom airy red Pixy and was given a cease and decist by Daiwa for doing it without permission. Later reels, gears, and spools were granted permission. KTF manufactures their own stuff and tunes Daiwa reels. They've done a few more pixies, alphas, and spools since the cease and decist.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:50 pm

I had one in my hand yesterday at our Daiwa Days at our local tackle shop. It is a Daiwa and for a $99 reel it felt good, it was very smooth but here again it's not made to compete with anything other than those in its price range. Talking to the reps Daiwa wants to have a good piece of the market again in the price range. I believe it will be a good seller.

But there is something on the horizon coming in both reels and rods and I believe they'll be a big hit!! I seen a pic of the reel and it has the Tatula Spider on it! All I can say for now.
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:29 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:I had one in my hand yesterday at our Daiwa Days at our local tackle shop. It is a Daiwa and for a $99 reel it felt good, it was very smooth but here again it's not made to compete with anything other than those in its price range. Talking to the reps Daiwa wants to have a good piece of the market again in the price range. I believe it will be a good seller.

But there is something on the horizon coming in both reels and rods and I believe they'll be a big hit!! I seen a pic of the reel and it has the Tatula Spider on it! All I can say for now.
Did you notice if it is made in Thailand?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:35 pm

no big deal..only usdm daiwa made in japan now are the steez.