Chronarch or Steez?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
yellowcard129
Angler
Angler

Chronarch or Steez?

Post by yellowcard129 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:08 pm

I use mostly Shimano reels and thinking about trying Diawa. What reel would you rather have. Chronarch MGL XG or STEEZ SV 103XS. Mostly for moving baits and nothing under 1/4oz. I know what I get with Shimano. How good is a steez sv? Thanks

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chronarch or Steez?

Post by egore1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:30 pm

Either reel is great but I'd be looking for something with a lower gear ratio for moving baits. I consider the Steez to be better for bottom contact with a slight nod to the Chronarch for moving baits, mainly due to the brass gearing.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:22 pm

There's a Steez A crazy cranker in 5.3:1

yellowcard129
Angler
Angler

Post by yellowcard129 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:45 am

Doesn't the Steez SV 103xs in the 8.1 also have brass gears? The 6.3 has aluminum gears. Im not talking cranking, im talking fast moving baits whopper ploppers, buzzbaits etc.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:59 am

yellowcard129 wrote:Doesn't the Steez SV 103xs in the 8.1 also have brass gears? The 6.3 has aluminum gears. Im not talking cranking, im talking fast moving baits whopper ploppers, buzzbaits etc.
I am a 90% Daiwa reel fisherman, but I absolutely love my Chronarch MGL. Also it can be had for a good bit cheaper if just looking around a bit or waiting for a sale. The Steez SV is great, and I have considered an 8.1 if I find one cheap, I did have a friend who's gears went bad on a 6.3 (Daiwa fixed quickly). I would say both will cast around 1/4 pretty easily, but the Steez will do it with much more ease and be more hassle free, especially if skipping or casting less aerodynamic lures. The Chronarch will also do it, just needs a tad more fine tuning.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:01 am

I have the chronarch mgl , kinda wish I had bought the steez a. After 3 weeks the gears got noisy and the reel wasn't smooth anymore (probably a lemon).. had to send it to shimano , I'm sure it will be 30 days or more before it returns. Check out digitaka , both reels sell for quite a bit less there , just takes 8 or 9 days to get the reel.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:29 am

Are you trying to keep it light? If not, I'd be considering the new Bantam and a Zillion j dream 7.9 in your search.

yellowcard129
Angler
Angler

Post by yellowcard129 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:22 pm

The new Bantam looks awesome but yeah with all the light reels these days it's hard to use any that weigh over 7oz. The new Lew's Pro-Ti looks like it could be legit but going to have to wait a little bit for that reel.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:14 pm

I would personally go for the Steez, I prefer the Steez in my hands. Another great option if you can find one is a Megabass Zonda 68, it has plenty of line capacity and is really nice to use. Another reason for the steez is a high resale value once used.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:35 pm

yellowcard129 wrote:Doesn't the Steez SV 103xs in the 8.1 also have brass gears? The 6.3 has aluminum gears. Im not talking cranking, im talking fast moving baits whopper ploppers, buzzbaits etc.
Yeah that reel has brass gears but I still consider the Chronarch to have more grunt. I own multiples of each reel and feel that cranking away with the Chronarch seems more desirable for me, the Steez reels are on 2 and 3 power rods for bottom contact stuff. I have read plenty of reports complaining about the feel of the frame material on the Chronarch but it hasn't bothered me at all, the Steez reels feel a little more geary due to the Magnesium frame in my opinion.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:47 pm

I’m going to throw a wrench in your thought process...and for a little more you can get the Met MGL. I’d consider that route if casting is important

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:57 am

Samuel_b wrote:I’m going to throw a wrench in your thought process...and for a little more you can get the Met MGL. I’d consider that route if casting is important
I considered this for the shallow spool option and better deal at JDM price, but more than a few users warned me concerning the gear problem. Said I would basically be foregoing on a US warranty and having to buy new gears for a slightly less price than the Bantam MGL, which already has brass gears and seems to be very solid. Just wish the shallow spool for it would become more available...

yellowcard129
Angler
Angler

Post by yellowcard129 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:28 am

Thanks for the reply's. I think im going with a JDM Chronarch MGL. I thought about getting the Met instead but I like the brass gears in the Chronarch for moving baits. Seems like you can't go wrong with either but the Met seems like a better reel for bottom contact baits? For me Shimano has always been king with Diawa a close second but im still interested in Lew's. I really like the weight savings and the prices on there reels. Very interested in the Lews Pro-TI when it comes out.