Finish issues on newer Shimano baitcasters

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Finish issues on newer Shimano baitcasters

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:28 am

I've been pretty disappointed in the finishes on some recent reels. None more so than a new Aldebaran bfs.
The sideplate paint job doesn't seem to be as tough as the frames.

WHich really sucks because resale is gonna suffer as a result...and it's not even 6 months old. I have a decade old stella sw that been beaten on in the surf and looks newer

Lots of chipping and it's never taken a hit, been dropped or scrapped. And never been for a boat deck or rod locker ride.

Anyone else have issues with shimano finishes?

Come to think of it...my Metanium Dc's looked pretty ragged compared to some others as well.

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Finish issues on newer Shimano baitcasters

Post by southpaw619 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:12 pm

I agree, most of my Aldebaran BFS look perfect still but the one I used with sun gloves the paint is beat to crap. It's a little frustrating not being able to wear gloves with them.

rajiv97
Angler
Angler

Post by rajiv97 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Are you referring to the new 16 aldebaran bfs? The one with magnetic brakes. Was thinking of picking one up, but would opt for the scorpion bfs instead if the paint has problems. My Steez A paint is chipping too with NO saltwater use. its a heartache. Sucks if the painting on the aldebaran bfs has problems too :doh:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:06 pm

The finishing of the poured frames is a bit disappointing where you can see lines left from casting in the mould - comparing E series to G, I & K.

The finishes can be an issue especially those with higher acid levels in your skin sweat.

I use a Starbrite Marine Polish "PTFE" and that helps heaps with the finish stability, and resale if thats your thing?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:34 am

Shimano isn't bad at all. Daiwa and lews paint is much thinner and easier to scratch.

Ajaxin
Angler
Angler

Post by Ajaxin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:35 am

I am having similar issues with my 16 aldebaran bfs xg. I am having the paint bubbling in a few areas on the side plate on the handle side. The frame is fine no issues there. I did leave a wet neoprene reel cover on the reel overnight which might be part of the reason but I haven't had that issue with any other reels. I now take off all damp reel covers until they are dry, lesson learned.

rajiv97
Angler
Angler

Post by rajiv97 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Ajaxin wrote:I am having similar issues with my 16 aldebaran bfs xg. I am having the paint bubbling in a few areas on the side plate on the handle side. The frame is fine no issues there. I did leave a wet neoprene reel cover on the reel overnight which might be part of the reason but I haven't had that issue with any other reels. I now take off all damp reel covers until they are dry, lesson learned.
ah crap, that was not what I wanted to hear :oops:

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:55 am

I think it may be isolated to that 16 ald bfs.?.? I have 13 met's, met mgl, chronarch mgl, curado 71, all with no paint issues. And i also use gloves when it gets cold in fall. Fish twice a week from may to nov, np. My daiwa pixy, alpha sv, ss sv paint finishes don't hold up close to as well as the shimano reels....

Ajaxin
Angler
Angler

Post by Ajaxin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:10 am

It's not the worst but its still enough to piss me off especially since it was a gift from my fiance.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Looks like poor prep or bad primer, but have you bean using any bug spray? it will damage paint very quickly...

Kurt

Ajaxin
Angler
Angler

Post by Ajaxin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:31 am

Kurt L wrote:Looks like poor prep or bad primer, but have you bean using any bug spray? it will damage paint very quickly...

Kurt
No bug spray I have seen what deet can do to plastics.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:39 am

cndbasshunter wrote:Shimano isn't bad at all. Daiwa and lews paint is much thinner and easier to scratch.

Cool.....so you're saying what i'm seeing is paint chipped off.....Phew...was worried for a second :)

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Wow is a huge Shimano fan that is pretty disappointing to see. Thankful I never opted for too many of their newer stuff =P~ I'm curious as Shimano has anything to say about it or customer relations service etc :-k

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:29 am

I got a rather nasty chip next to the tension knob on my Aldebaran BFS after few months of ownership. No idea how that happened. The reel's always in its neoprene sleeve and I never handled it rough. Disappointing, since my chronarch seen more abuse plus it's rarely in in a sleeve. It's in much better condition, pretty much looks new.
My conquest BFS too looks like I just took it out of the box..I'd have to use a hammer to damage it :D

rajiv97
Angler
Angler

Post by rajiv97 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:57 am

kunia13 wrote:I got a rather nasty chip next to the tension knob on my Aldebaran BFS after few months of ownership. No idea how that happened. The reel's always in its neoprene sleeve and I never handled it rough. Disappointing, since my chronarch seen more abuse plus it's rarely in in a sleeve. It's in much better condition, pretty much looks new.
My conquest BFS too looks like I just took it out of the box..I'd have to use a hammer to damage it :D
So, I’d have to worry less about a conquest bfs? The reel is anodized right? So no paint chips