Daiwa SV103 or 50th Anniversary opinions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4807
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:41 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Daiwa SV103 or 50th Anniversary opinions

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:51 am

Agree on the HLC spool if you are going for pure distance. The original dimpled spool is faster and wilder than the IZE spool.

trevor60
Angler
Angler
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:48 am

Re: Daiwa SV103 or 50th Anniversary opinions

Post by trevor60 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:54 am

i am really please with the current spool thanks for the tip on the HLC.

i am already looking over the fence; the Daiwa Steez A TW looks very interesting

Lipless i just started my Jackall addiction this year with two HL Black and Gold; was looking for the disk knocker version but they are hard to source here. the TN70 retrieves very different then my xcalibur XR50. When i kill the retrieve on the TN70 it darts towards the bottom where as the XR50 sink at a slower rate.

the TN70 has similar fishing characteristics as the DUO realis G fix vibration which has a thinner profile an weighs 1/8 more.

Trevor

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2080
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Daiwa SV103 or 50th Anniversary opinions

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:41 am

I've got the Megabass Version of the JDream with an HLC spool in it and it is great. Love that reel. I think the IP68 has a stronger magnet than regular TD Zillions like how the IS reels have stronger magnets than the Steez reels. I think thusbhelps to control the HLC spool a little better.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3554
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Daiwa SV103 or 50th Anniversary opinions

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:24 am

trevor60 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:23 am
It has been a year so here is a quick update.

I was able to source both the J Dream 6.3 and the SV103 6.3 from ebay.

I have had a ¾ of a season with the sv103 and 6hrs with the J dream.

There is a notable difference between these two reels the J Dream feels smoother and casts noticeable further.

I am a lipless crankbait junkie all my reels start out on this platform (searching for the one) and move to other techniques. The sv103 lasted ½ a season and I switched back to my Lew’s team PRO Z.

The impressions I have is sv103 spool / braking combination isn’t quite there. In an effort to get the distance I achieved with the PRO Z the brakes were near off, which increased the number of overruns.

I flushed and re-lubed the bearing of the sv103 there was no notable difference in performance

The J dream is something entirely different. Once I got dialed in it easily outcast all previous combinations, and it took a real effort on my part to get the reel to backlash.

The J dream’s retrieve feels more connected then the sv103.

The drag system has only been tested on the SV103 and it works well there is no jerkiness when a fish goes on a run. The J dream drag has not been tested on any sizable fish.

The J dream is my new lipless crankbait setup

Sv103 is now on my chatterbait, squarebill rod

Lew’s Pro Z is on my jerkbait combo

Thanks to everyone for their input and recommending the J dream.

Trevor



I fish traps pretty often and my goto is a Fuego with a zillion PE special spool and floro. IMHO you should get a different spool for the sv103. I have two of those reels and I would even be willing to mail you a Steez long cast spool to use in that reel. It’s astronomical how well it cast and the line Capacity with that spool is not lacking like it would be had you dropped a 1016 spool in it.
That being said the Sv can be Tailored to whatever you want whereas the the 50 or J Dream is more of a one trick pony esp looking for spool options.
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

doomtrprz71
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 am

Re: Daiwa SV103 or 50th Anniversary opinions

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:52 am

trevor60 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:23 am
It has been a year so here is a quick update.

I was able to source both the J Dream 6.3 and the SV103 6.3 from ebay.

I have had a ¾ of a season with the sv103 and 6hrs with the J dream.

There is a notable difference between these two reels the J Dream feels smoother and casts noticeable further.

I am a lipless crankbait junkie all my reels start out on this platform (searching for the one) and move to other techniques. The sv103 lasted ½ a season and I switched back to my Lew’s team PRO Z.

The impressions I have is sv103 spool / braking combination isn’t quite there. In an effort to get the distance I achieved with the PRO Z the brakes were near off, which increased the number of overruns.

I flushed and re-lubed the bearing of the sv103 there was no notable difference in performance

The J dream is something entirely different. Once I got dialed in it easily outcast all previous combinations, and it took a real effort on my part to get the reel to backlash.

The J dream’s retrieve feels more connected then the sv103.

The drag system has only been tested on the SV103 and it works well there is no jerkiness when a fish goes on a run. The J dream drag has not been tested on any sizable fish.

The J dream is my new lipless crankbait setup

Sv103 is now on my chatterbait, squarebill rod

Lew’s Pro Z is on my jerkbait combo

Thanks to everyone for their input and recommending the J dream.

Trevor
Maybe I need to take a closer look at my reels, I feel like my sv103 will out cast my jdreams. But it is being fished in salt where my jdreams are being used for freshwater fishing.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3554
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Daiwa SV103 or 50th Anniversary opinions

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:34 pm

I have a ZPI PG spool in another Sv103 that I have and it’s even better than the Steez HLC spool especially at lower weights.
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

trevor60
Angler
Angler
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:48 am

Re: Daiwa SV103 or 50th Anniversary opinions

Post by trevor60 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:41 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:24 am
I fish traps pretty often and my goto is a Fuego with a zillion PE special spool and floro. IMHO you should get a different spool for the sv103. I have two of those reels and I would even be willing to mail you a Steez long cast spool to use in that reel. It’s astronomical how well it cast and the line Capacity with that spool is not lacking like it would be had you dropped a 1016 spool in it.
That being said the Sv can be Tailored to whatever you want whereas the the 50 or J Dream is more of a one trick pony esp looking for spool options.
that is an incredibly generous offer and if you were in Canada i would certainly be interested... I have already drank the TT Koolaid and ordered a Zillion 1016 spool back in February, paid for, but still waiting :doh: i am hoping to get it before the fall. i just passed on a team fuego reel as i am only used to aluminum reels and read the magnesium are hollow feeling.
doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:52 am


Maybe I need to take a closer look at my reels, I feel like my sv103 will out cast my jdreams. But it is being fished in salt where my jdreams are being used for freshwater fishing.
I am a sample of one; so I wouldn't put too much stock in my results testing two reels. your results are completely valid for your two reels. Now if the board came alive and dozens of guys have similar experiences either way those results would stand to be valid.

Trevor

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3554
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Daiwa SV103 or 50th Anniversary opinions

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:47 pm

trevor60 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:41 pm
goldrod wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:24 am
I fish traps pretty often and my goto is a Fuego with a zillion PE special spool and floro. IMHO you should get a different spool for the sv103. I have two of those reels and I would even be willing to mail you a Steez long cast spool to use in that reel. It’s astronomical how well it cast and the line Capacity with that spool is not lacking like it would be had you dropped a 1016 spool in it.
That being said the Sv can be Tailored to whatever you want whereas the the 50 or J Dream is more of a one trick pony esp looking for spool options.
that is an incredibly generous offer and if you were in Canada i would certainly be interested... I have already drank the TT Koolaid and ordered a Zillion 1016 spool back in February, paid for, but still waiting :doh: i am hoping to get it before the fall. i just passed on a team fuego reel as i am only used to aluminum reels and read the magnesium are hollow feeling.
doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:52 am


Maybe I need to take a closer look at my reels, I feel like my sv103 will out cast my jdreams. But it is being fished in salt where my jdreams are being used for freshwater fishing.
I am a sample of one; so I wouldn't put too much stock in my results testing two reels. your results are completely valid for your two reels. Now if the board came alive and dozens of guys have similar experiences either way those results would stand to be valid.

Trevor
The mag reels are okay
I wouldn’t believe everything I read some people are brand loyal to a fault etc.
Also some mag reels pair better with some rods and at least to me seems to enhance sensitivity. I didn’t like the Antares hg once and I have put it on several rods. Finally made itself a home on my ‘19 Poison Adrena.
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Daiwa SV103 or 50th Anniversary opinions

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:16 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:24 am
trevor60 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:23 am
It has been a year so here is a quick update.

I was able to source both the J Dream 6.3 and the SV103 6.3 from ebay.

I have had a ¾ of a season with the sv103 and 6hrs with the J dream.

There is a notable difference between these two reels the J Dream feels smoother and casts noticeable further.

I am a lipless crankbait junkie all my reels start out on this platform (searching for the one) and move to other techniques. The sv103 lasted ½ a season and I switched back to my Lew’s team PRO Z.

The impressions I have is sv103 spool / braking combination isn’t quite there. In an effort to get the distance I achieved with the PRO Z the brakes were near off, which increased the number of overruns.

I flushed and re-lubed the bearing of the sv103 there was no notable difference in performance

The J dream is something entirely different. Once I got dialed in it easily outcast all previous combinations, and it took a real effort on my part to get the reel to backlash.

The J dream’s retrieve feels more connected then the sv103.

The drag system has only been tested on the SV103 and it works well there is no jerkiness when a fish goes on a run. The J dream drag has not been tested on any sizable fish.

The J dream is my new lipless crankbait setup

Sv103 is now on my chatterbait, squarebill rod

Lew’s Pro Z is on my jerkbait combo

Thanks to everyone for their input and recommending the J dream.

Trevor



I fish traps pretty often and my goto is a Fuego with a zillion PE special spool and floro. IMHO you should get a different spool for the sv103. I have two of those reels and I would even be willing to mail you a Steez long cast spool to use in that reel. It’s astronomical how well it cast and the line Capacity with that spool is not lacking like it would be had you dropped a 1016 spool in it.
That being said the Sv can be Tailored to whatever you want whereas the the 50 or J Dream is more of a one trick pony esp looking for spool options.
Do you have the red or gold pe spool?

User avatar
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2044
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:59 am
Location: Northeast

Re: Daiwa SV103 or 50th Anniversary opinions

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:40 am

Anyone use a TD-Z R+ spool in an SV103? If so, how do you like it and what is the performance like? Thanks!

Post Reply