How fast is too fast?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How fast is too fast?

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:16 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Pitching is a slow spool speed style...
Yes, and the best brake systems are the ones that are off when you pitch. With magnets, there's always something on and because of that, they tend to choke off your pitch or make your bait rise at the end.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:37 pm

for frogging, pitching and flipping, 10.1 is fine. But for anything else, and i feel like i lose sensitivity when using anything over 6.3 maybe 6.8 tops.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:15 pm

SSS wrote:for frogging, pitching and flipping, 10.1 is fine. But for anything else, and i feel like i lose sensitivity when using anything over 6.3 maybe 6.8 tops.
That's interesting. I've never really liked fishing reels faster than in the 7s, and only recently grown accustomed to some reels in the 8s. Although I did fish and like the original Revo Rocket which is a 9 something reel. I have found there are some cranks (primarily squarebills) and hard bodied swimbaits that get more hits when using some of these faster reels.

Will be interesting to see what this new Rocket feels like and how much power it has. Abu has some massive sized gears.
Cal, Managing Editor

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:27 pm

Cal wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Pitching is a slow spool speed style...
Yes, and the best brake systems are the ones that are off when you pitch. With magnets, there's always something on and because of that, they tend to choke off your pitch or make your bait rise at the end.
Ok, so you are an all thumb guy. I like to have some worry free control. Im focused on a target, and dont need to be fucusing on spool control for over runs.
<")))><{

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:00 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Ok, so you are an all thumb guy. I like to have some worry free control. Im focused on a target, and dont need to be fucusing on spool control for over runs.
Whatever works, right? :D
Cal, Managing Editor

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 pm

I like to pitch then fire off a roll cast and skip sometimes. I'm currently learning how to get better at pitch-skipping. I definitely prefer a braking system with a lot of low spool speed control and lighter weight more easily controlled spools.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:02 am

mark poulson wrote:I think reel speed has practical limitations.
I have no doubt there are people out there who will be able to grind a fish out of heavy cover with a 10.1:1 reel. But those folks can already grind a fish out of anywhere with the reels now available. Bobby Barack can winch a fish out of anything, with any reel.
Even though they are currently available, I don't see many of the pros going to 8:1 reels, except for specialty things, like jerkbaits and topwater over clear water.
So I think this is almost an exercise in "what is possible", like Quantum's EXO reels, and maybe just another reel iteration to have something new to sell.
But I don't think a reel with that high a gear ratio will last very long, even with brass gears, if it's used for anything heavy.
I see the exact opposite happening. More and more pros I know use the faster retrieve reels a ton. Read.most any event wrap up where they go into detail a and a ton use fast retrieve reels. Especially for bottom contact stuff including flipping/pitching. High speed reels seem to outsell slower versions. Even most local anglers I know use the faster stuff.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:10 am

M Perry wrote:I see the exact opposite happening. More and more pros I know use the faster retrieve reels a ton.
I blame KVD :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:03 am

LowRange wrote:I like to pitch then fire off a roll cast and skip sometimes. I'm currently learning how to get better at pitch-skipping. I definitely prefer a braking system with a lot of low spool speed control and lighter weight more easily controlled spools.
This is my exact fishing style as well. I am really liking the new Revo S for this. The spool is pretty light, and the reel is pretty smooth. I did however stick a set of HawgTech spool bearings in it, and man it sings with ease. \:D/
<")))><{

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:32 am

10 : OVERKILL is the ratio I see lol, to each their own though.
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:04 pm

I certainly love the ergonomics of the new generation 4 series. They feel much more solid in hand. This one is intriguing just for the crazy speed factor
Yield not to misfortunes but advance against them

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:54 pm

The 8 and up ratios are great for fishing slow fast. This is casting a bottom contact bait to a spot and reeling it in quickly shortly after it has hit bottom. You aren't using the reel to work the bait for very long. The higher speed allows you to bring your bait in quicker and to make a lot more casts during the outing. Tournament fishermen are using this style more and more. I rarely drag a bottom contact bait all the way back in anymore. I use the same style of fishing with a topwater bait on boiling schooling fish that I need to make a quick cast to, work my bait a few times, and reel the bait in.
The only issue that I see with the super fast reels is the extra bulge at the bottom of the gearbox being uncomfortable. This is subjective to the size of your hands.
I use the slower ratio reels for reaction baits most often because most reaction baits require a slower retrieve. The rhythm with a slower retrieve reel and most reaction baits just feels more natural. I only go over 7 to 1 ratios and reaction baits when there is a heavy wind moving the boat and I have to make up for that. I can't imagine ever going back to the same ratio reels for all applications.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:10 am

This 10.1 Abu Rocket is barely faster than the original Zillion TWS 9.1. The the Zillion was like 40.3 inches and the 2018 Rocket is like 41 or so. I have said it multiple times, I enjoyed mine for lighter lures, but the torque loss on pulling a C-Rig or anything over 1/2oz started to bother me. The pinion gets really small (teeth count/diameter) on these super high speed reels...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:59 am

toddmc wrote:The 8 and up ratios are great for fishing slow fast. This is casting a bottom contact bait to a spot and reeling it in quickly shortly after it has hit bottom. You aren't using the reel to work the bait for very long. The higher speed allows you to bring your bait in quicker and to make a lot more casts during the outing. Tournament fishermen are using this style more and more. I rarely drag a bottom contact bait all the way back in anymore. I use the same style of fishing with a topwater bait on boiling schooling fish that I need to make a quick cast to, work my bait a few times, and reel the bait in.
The only issue that I see with the super fast reels is the extra bulge at the bottom of the gearbox being uncomfortable. This is subjective to the size of your hands.
I use the slower ratio reels for reaction baits most often because most reaction baits require a slower retrieve. The rhythm with a slower retrieve reel and most reaction baits just feels more natural. I only go over 7 to 1 ratios and reaction baits when there is a heavy wind moving the boat and I have to make up for that. I can't imagine ever going back to the same ratio reels for all applications.
Being a weekend, retired angler, I use all 7/1 reels, except for two Gen 1 Premiers that are 6.4/1 for shallow cranking.
I recently I went to a 6.4/1 Revo Winch for a chatterbait, and I didn't like it. It was a gift from a fishing buddy who is a much better fisherman than I am, and he was convinced that I was fishing my chatterbaits too fast. So he gave me one of his older Winchs, with 50lb braid and a two foot 25lb mono leader, to try.
I am used to slowing down my retrieve with both chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, and cranks until I feel the bait working like I want it to, but, after having fished those reels for so long, I had a hard time feeling the chatterbait with the 6.4/1 reel
My 7/1 reels are all 6.5 oz or less, and the 6.4/1 reel weights 7.5 oz, so that may have something to do with it, too.
But I really missed the 7/1 speed when I hooked a nice fish in the tules, and had to winch it out of them, so it wouldn't wrap. I never realized how spoiled I've become with my higher speed reels.
I doubt I'm skilled enough or strong enough to be able to do that all day with a 10/1 reel, and I'm sure I'd struggle with trying to winch a big fish with it, too.
But I'm 70, and not a big guy, so this might not be true for everyone else.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:23 pm

I was using my zillion sv tws 9.1 last week to flip jigs for largemouths on leech lake. I ended up hooking several eater pike in the 26-30 inch class daily and never felt like i was having a torque issue, this was also fighting the fish in reeds and millfoil.