NEW: Daiwa Tatula 100 (based off Steez)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: NEW: Daiwa Tatula 100 (based off Steez)

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:56 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
big_gee wrote:The new sanded cork are the revised Tatula rods. The Elite rods are still going to be silver with EVA.

As for he Zillion casting reel rumor has it they are being discontinued due to the new Tatula variants.

This is what I was told at the daiwa booth today.
That would shock me. Daiwa's most known reel by enthusiasts and average anglers alike is the ZILLION. That is their Curado namesake. If they discontinued it then they sure as hell better release something to take the name badge of Zillion. That is their $300 price point and that is something Daiwa is going to lack without the Zillion SV TW. I love my SV TW, and I guarantee as long as it doesn't breakdown completely it will do ANYTHING fishing wise for the next 10+ years or further.

I just wish they had upgraded it this year and am bummed out about the direction Daiwa seems to be going. They have some great high end reels and some great mid priced lower end reels, but a void is forming in the $250-350 range. I know I don't need a new Zillion, the current one can do anything I would ever need it to, but I like Daiwa and really wish they had brought something for people who shop at the price range I mentioned.
Agreed. I might be the only other guys that likes the zillion sv tv as much as you do. I have 5 OG zillions I still go to, but have gained a preference for the svs. After they got done telling me about how the zillions are being phased out, they asked me if I fished tats or steez and I said I'm a zillion guy. No response. Anyway, I was not talking with higher excutives from globetide; who knows how reliable these sources were. They spoke about it like it was common knowledge though. When I asked if an upgraded tat would fill the void all I got was an "I guess". That's when I started to wonder...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:58 pm

K that makes sense. Well if they phase out the Zillion it had a good run but I would still be sad. If I was running that show (I know money is all that matters to most) I would like to produce off of old namesakes. The Tatula's are great, but there is a reason I always have gone Zillion. Dual pinion support and the ability to use 1016 spools is worth the price difference to me. As I mentioned before, my current collection covers all my fishing so I am okay to wait them out a year or so now. That or get a second Shimano...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:08 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:K that makes sense. Well if they phase out the Zillion it had a good run but I would still be sad. If I was running that show (I know money is all that matters to most) I would like to produce off of old namesakes. The Tatula's are great, but there is a reason I always have gone Zillion. Dual pinion support and the ability to use 1016 spools is worth the price difference to me. As I mentioned before, my current collection covers all my fishing so I am okay to wait them out a year or so now. That or get a second Shimano...
It wouldn't surprise me to see a Steez A with brass gears released as a Zillion at some point. Having two Steez is kind of odd anyways.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 pm

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:K that makes sense. Well if they phase out the Zillion it had a good run but I would still be sad. If I was running that show (I know money is all that matters to most) I would like to produce off of old namesakes. The Tatula's are great, but there is a reason I always have gone Zillion. Dual pinion support and the ability to use 1016 spools is worth the price difference to me. As I mentioned before, my current collection covers all my fishing so I am okay to wait them out a year or so now. That or get a second Shimano...
It wouldn't surprise me to see a Steez A with brass gears released as a Zillion at some point. Having two Steez is kind of odd anyways.
I had a pretty good source (thought so at least) tell me Daiwa had something big coming under $400 this year. They never would say if ICAST or when though. I doubt it unless it is a 3 pack of Tatula's with bonus spider stickers.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:32 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I had a pretty good source (thought so at least) tell me Daiwa had something big coming under $400 this year. They never would say if ICAST or when though. I doubt it unless it is a 3 pack of Tatula's with bonus spider stickers.
:lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:56 pm

Also just watched the most recent Project T 2018 video... Some of the scenes show the Tatula 100 with the black lock plate on the handle nut and then the other scenes show the ultra tacky plastic one. The end picture with the top view ALWAYS shows the plastic nut cover though, and so do the production/ICAST pictures.

I am going to try and stop being a hater for now. I just got Zillion butt hurt and am going to just cross my fingers they come out with a version of this reel more in the $300 to $350 range. This reel with Zaion sideplates, brass gears, 1016 SV G1 spool (free floater), and new knobs/look would have been a PERFECT competitor for the Bantam MGL. Sometimes it seems Daiwa wants to truly COMPETE with Shimano, but other times it seems they just want to make more money than Shimano...

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:35 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Also just watched the most recent Project T 2018 video... Some of the scenes show the Tatula 100 with the black lock plate on the handle nut and then the other scenes show the ultra tacky plastic one. The end picture with the top view ALWAYS shows the plastic nut cover though, and so do the production/ICAST pictures.

I am going to try and stop being a hater for now. I just got Zillion butt hurt and am going to just cross my fingers they come out with a version of this reel more in the $300 to $350 range. This reel with Zaion sideplates, brass gears, 1016 SV G1 spool (free floater), and new knobs/look would have been a PERFECT competitor for the Bantam MGL. Sometimes it seems Daiwa wants to truly COMPETE with Shimano, but other times it seems they just want to make more money than Shimano...
I'm still thinking the 300-350 version would be the steez a, although it's 100 more

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:39 am

Jason Penn wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Also just watched the most recent Project T 2018 video... Some of the scenes show the Tatula 100 with the black lock plate on the handle nut and then the other scenes show the ultra tacky plastic one. The end picture with the top view ALWAYS shows the plastic nut cover though, and so do the production/ICAST pictures.

I'm still thinking the 300-350 version would be the steez a, although it's 100 more
Just realized you are in AR too, I'm up here in Batesville. I agree with you. Just could maybe see them dropping magseal, dropping aluminum handle sideplate (for Zaion), changing the handle, made at the Thailand plant instead of Japan, brass gears, and maybe cheapening the Steez A slightly more to drop the price to $300. I know brass is better for most of us than aluminum, but if the Steez A truly uses G1 Duralumin for gears then it is more expensive.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:57 am

I havent been to batesville in a few years. The last time i was there was playing music at a wedding reception downtown at an old place that someone turned in to kind of a "cool old rustic vibe/kinda high price" place. It was rather cool i must say lol

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:50 am

Here's another Tatula variant:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32869 ... 3c00dT9v4V
tatula.jpg
tatula.jpg (132.74 KiB) Viewed 6928 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:43 am

surge wrote:Here's another Tatula variant:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32869 ... 3c00dT9v4V

tatula.jpg
A new CS reel. Odd mill pattern on the frame and plastic drag star is cheap looking. It must be profitable to make these region specific models.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:12 am

Jason Penn wrote:I havent been to batesville in a few years. The last time i was there was playing music at a wedding reception downtown at an old place that someone turned in to kind of a "cool old rustic vibe/kinda high price" place. It was rather cool i must say lol
Its not a bad town. I NEVER liked fishing when I was younger, missed thousands of opportunities at big fish. The White River is my primary fishing spot, go to Greers Ferry sometimes and Norfork also. I'm fairly alone when it comes to nice tackle though, only have one friend from high school who fishes like I do and he's way better off than I am at the moment.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:25 am

When this (Steez) Tatula is out?

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:12 pm

MardukFIN wrote:When this (Steez) Tatula is out?
Forecast is sometime in mid September.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:24 pm

I thought the Regional Tatula CS on AliExpress was a pretty nice looking reel.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-DA ... 564f84f068
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-NE ... 564f84f068

I don't need another one or I probably would have sprung for one. Basically a Zillion without the spool upgrade. Throw a deep DIY spool in it and you are ready to rock.

DaveJ