NEW: Daiwa Tatula 100 (based off Steez)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NEW: Daiwa Tatula 100 (based off Steez)

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Yeah I don't understand the long shaft reference, all new Shimano's have a pretty similar design but an extra pinion bearing. The spool still rides on 2 bearings when casting, no matter what design (free floating, Infini 2, Shimano, cheaper Daiwa, etc.). I do wish Daiwa would up the support on cheaper reels, Lew's is advertising some P2 bearings for their pinion now. The total count is 11 and some of the older comparable designs had 10 total. I am not sure if it is on the pinion (extra) or just a fancy name for a bearing in a single design on the pinion and the count is 4 knobs, 2 levelwind, 2 spool, 1 pinion, 1 main shaft, 1 anti-reverse.

Either way, I really hope they have a Zillion version of this reel. They keep mentioning the Tatula SV so I doubt this new body will get the SV soon, but a type R or Zillion revamp would be great, very bummed out it didn't happen...

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:48 am

jjbassnforfun wrote:Couple a pic's of the 18 JDM ZLN HD. Sweet looking, But still no for $400 clams!!
If that exact reel was based on the new Tatula 100 frame I would be all about it. Looks sweet, but to big for my preference.

DaveJ

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:43 pm

[quote="big_gee"]The new sanded cork are the revised Tatula rods. The Elite rods are still going to be silver with EVA.

As for he Zillion casting reel rumor has it they are being discontinued due to the new Tatula variants.

This is what I was told at the daiwa booth today.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:06 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:Couple a pic's of the 18 JDM ZLN HD. Sweet looking, But still no for $400 clams!!
If that exact reel was based on the new Tatula 100 frame I would be all about it. Looks sweet, but to big for my preference.

DaveJ
I'll bet we'll see a smaller ZLN SV version, Maybe next year?? And hopefully it has the mag dial tucked in like the pictures. :)
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 pm

If the CT platform is going away then get your Fuegos now or suffer the CG80.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:51 pm

LowRange wrote:If the CT platform is going away then get your Fuegos now or suffer the CG80.
Heck of a reel for $60.00.............. :-$
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:43 pm

The only CT they discontinued this year was the CT Type R. All others are here for at least another year. This is what I was told by daiwa at icast yesterday.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:08 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:

DaveJ
I'll bet we'll see a smaller ZLN SV version, Maybe next year?? And hopefully it has the mag dial tucked in like the pictures. :)
Fingers crossed...

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm

And how about a high speed lefty dang it! or I have to buy another brand... ](*,) guys like me using Left hand reels got ripped off this year.

Kurt

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:23 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
big_gee wrote:The new sanded cork are the revised Tatula rods. The Elite rods are still going to be silver with EVA.

As for he Zillion casting reel rumor has it they are being discontinued due to the new Tatula variants.

This is what I was told at the daiwa booth today.
That would shock me. Daiwa's most known reel by enthusiasts and average anglers alike is the ZILLION. That is their Curado namesake. If they discontinued it then they sure as hell better release something to take the name badge of Zillion. That is their $300 price point and that is something Daiwa is going to lack without the Zillion SV TW. I love my SV TW, and I guarantee as long as it doesn't breakdown completely it will do ANYTHING fishing wise for the next 10+ years or further.

I just wish they had upgraded it this year and am bummed out about the direction Daiwa seems to be going. They have some great high end reels and some great mid priced lower end reels, but a void is forming in the $250-350 range. I know I don't need a new Zillion, the current one can do anything I would ever need it to, but I like Daiwa and really wish they had brought something for people who shop at the price range I mentioned.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:03 am

I'd rather they not make a Zillion out of this new tatula and I wish Daiwa would kill off the old box Tatulas. I don't want to look at a Zillion and see a Tatula. I also believe Zillions should be butter smooth 8oz tanks. Maybe they can use the old Tatula Zillion platform like with the new Zillion HD. That reel looks the part of a modern T Wing Zillion. Let the Tatulas be small 100 size reels and uae the old box Tatula platform to make all aluminum Zillion 1516s out of like the new HD.

Honestly I see them making a Zillion 100. Daiwa seems to want to have different sized Tatulas with the new 100, 150 and 200. I can see them having two Zillion platforms as premium Tatulas.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:59 am

LowRange wrote:I'd rather they not make a Zillion out of this new tatula and I wish Daiwa would kill off the old box Tatulas. I don't want to look at a Zillion and see a Tatula. I also believe Zillions should be butter smooth 8oz tanks. Maybe they can use the old Tatula Zillion platform like with the new Zillion HD. That reel looks the part of a modern T Wing Zillion. Let the Tatulas be small 100 size reels and uae the old box Tatula platform to make all aluminum Zillion 1516s out of like the new HD.

Honestly I see them making a Zillion 100. Daiwa seems to want to have different sized Tatulas with the new 100, 150 and 200. I can see them having two Zillion platforms as premium Tatulas.
Why not just get a new Zillion HD? They look sweet. I like the smaller form factor myself, but would prefer of the frame and all side plates were aluminum. I'm sure the palm plate will never be aluminum though except on round reels.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:12 am

LowRange wrote:I'd rather they not make a Zillion out of this new tatula and I wish Daiwa would kill off the old box Tatulas. I don't want to look at a Zillion and see a Tatula. I also believe Zillions should be butter smooth 8oz tanks. Maybe they can use the old Tatula Zillion platform like with the new Zillion HD. That reel looks the part of a modern T Wing Zillion. Let the Tatulas be small 100 size reels and uae the old box Tatula platform to make all aluminum Zillion 1516s out of like the new HD.

Good point. I really think the Zillion should be a redesigned platform and fit the criteria you stated. An 8oz area tank with a long casting SV spool designed to compete with the Bantam MGL. This is what they need to fill the void. I personally feel my Zillion SV TW is a sturdy enough reel to compete, but it will be 3+ years old coming up. Another thing I am very surprised they haven't attempted is to compete with the Aldebaran by introducing a true finesse (size also) casting reel in the form of a Pixy SV.

Or they could do Zillion's as premium Tatula's and just give us a Z1016 already.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:36 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:

Why not just get a new Zillion HD? They look sweet. I like the smaller form factor myself, but would prefer of the frame and all side plates were aluminum. I'm sure the palm plate will never be aluminum though except on round reels.
The new Zillion HD and Tatula 200 have an aluminum palming plate but use a fixed inductor spool which is a turn off for me. The Tatula 200 like the 150 uses hardened gear sets which make the reel geary feeling which is another turn off. Not sure about the new Zillion HD. I've seen enough to sway ne towards a minty SV103 if I want a other Zillion rather than gamble on the new Zillion HD.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:48 pm

For some reason, i think if the zillion's gone we'll see a tatula elite reel show up at some point.