Low profiile baitcasters with a Baitclicker/feeder

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Low profiile baitcasters with a Baitclicker/feeder

Post by Riverguy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:37 am

I'm in the market for something I can throw up to about 3 ounce lures with for the occasional migratory striper, rare inshore trip, and typical heavier line LMB applications. I also am catfishing more and more and though I have reels Suited for casting our 3 and 4 oz slip Sinker rigs with bait, but it would be really nice to have a reel with some versatility in the quiver. Abu made and discontinued two versions that kind of fit the bill, a toro, and an inshore model. I may just end up purchasing one of those off of eBay but I thought why not check with you guys, perhaps there's something I'm unaware of intended for pike, salt or non usdm.

Ideally something like a curado 300 with a clicker would be the bee's knees. I get there are a lot of round reel options but just kind of have a wild hair for something low profile. I'm not adverse to doing a mod or two if needed, Ive added clickers to my 5500 c's for example.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Low profiile baitcasters with a Baitclicker/feeder

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:07 am

Take a look at the Quantum EXO 200. It is small enough to palm comfortably, comes in 5.3/1 or 7/1 gear ratios, and holds 175yds of 14lb mono, yet it weighs 6.8oz.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:19 pm

There is a member here from Russia that makes clickers for most reels. I have installed them in 8 of my reels-good product great guy!
I don’t recall his screen name . Oleg Semchenko is his name.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

baoxlaox81
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by baoxlaox81 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:52 am

Daiwa Lexa CC
Okuma Komodo
Abu Garcia Revo Toro NaCl (if you can find one)

Those are the only ones I know of.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:59 pm

I know it isn't quite up to the original techniques mentioned, but doesn't the Steez A have a clicking drag??? I am assuming if so that the JDM 5 speed Crazy Cranker and XS ratio also have the clicking drag???

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:06 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I know it isn't quite up to the original techniques mentioned, but doesn't the Steez A have a clicking drag??? I am assuming if so that the JDM 5 speed Crazy Cranker and XS ratio also have the clicking drag???
I think he means a bait clicker for setting a reel down(with clutch disengaged) while baited with live/cut bait and waiting on a bite, not a drag that clicks when a fish takes line during the fight.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:59 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I know it isn't quite up to the original techniques mentioned, but doesn't the Steez A have a clicking drag??? I am assuming if so that the JDM 5 speed Crazy Cranker and XS ratio also have the clicking drag???
I think he means a bait clicker for setting a reel down(with clutch disengaged) while baited with live/cut bait and waiting on a bite, not a drag that clicks when a fish takes line during the fight.
Oh!!! Yea I don't know much about that. I didn't know any bass/musky/casting style reels had that at all aside of old or certain Ambassadeur's. Never even personally used a reel like that unless I did catfishing with father and do not remember it...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:45 pm

Daiwa Z maybe???
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Riverguy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:17 pm

Thanks everyone, ended up coming across a Quantum cabo baitcaster locally. Kindve an obscure reel, that wasnt around long. and Ive never owned a quantum. But this things extremely nice, even came with the factory reel cover and box for 50 bucks. Last night we went out and it handled a 37lb blue catfish with the tide at iys back that took off HARD and fast for a cat...I reeled into it in the rod holder (circle hook) and the reel didnt flinch.

baoxlaox81
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by baoxlaox81 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Riverguy wrote:Thanks everyone, ended up coming across a Quantum cabo baitcaster locally. Kindve an obscure reel, that wasnt around long. and Ive never owned a quantum. But this things extremely nice, even came with the factory reel cover and box for 50 bucks. Last night we went out and it handled a 37lb blue catfish with the tide at iys back that took off HARD and fast for a cat...I reeled into it in the rod holder (circle hook) and the reel didnt flinch.
Nice find for a great price.. I've looked at those too..